Red Bull RB19

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
organic

Re: Red Bull RB19

TEHNOS wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 19:37
Thx, was thinking right way 😊
Was this a standard feature of 22 regulations from the begining and what would be it's initial purpose? Or was it meant from beginig to be blown some way, by passive or as evident more active eay?
Teams appeared with the mouse hole immediately yes. Wasn't universal at first but by the end of 2022 I believe all teams had one to varying extents. I would say its primary purpose has always been to improve diffuser efficiency and probably has some effect on the management of tyre squirt as well.

View this analysis from Kyle Engineers. He first sees it on the AMR22 Launch Spec so that is where he talks about it:

Timestamped to 18mins 47secs if it doesn't work

BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

TEHNOS wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 19:37
Thx, was thinking right way 😊
Was this a standard feature of 22 regulations from the begining and what would be it's initial purpose? Or was it meant from beginig to be blown some way, by passive or as evident more active eay?
I remember Aston Martin had it from their launch last year and basically every team had a version of it in different shapes. It feeds some clean air in to the diffuser to try and generate a vortex along the diffuser wall. Because they have no room in the regulations for diffuser strakes this can help stop tyre squirt entering the diffuser

organic

Thread from scarbs. Multiple tweets about the rb19. I will link the first tweet and you will have to go into Twitter to view the content

I don't see the raised nose tip that he keeps referring to at all. The nose looks to have not moved up or down but gotten blunt tipped rather than round and flatter

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Mercedes surprised at Red Bull
The RB19 impressed in Bahrain mainly with its lower rear axle. No team has tuned its bolide as low as Red Bull. Mercedes is somewhat surprised by this: "They are ten millimetres below everyone else. If we drove that low, our floor would break," said someone from the German camp.
https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/183373/v ... inarticle2

Sevach
Sevach

AR3-GP wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 16:01
Mercedes surprised at Red Bull
The RB19 impressed in Bahrain mainly with its lower rear axle. No team has tuned its bolide as low as Red Bull. Mercedes is somewhat surprised by this: "They are ten millimetres below everyone else. If we drove that low, our floor would break," said someone from the German camp.
https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/183373/v ... inarticle2
Getting ready to write those protests...

organic

Low df RW modified from last year's Saudi/spa/Monza spec. Presumably getting it ready for Saudi. It has been strengthened at the end of the flaps and a stopper has been added to prevent over-extension of the DRS (presumably to prevent the drs problems of the past)

Motorsport.com 📸

organic

Spotted a FW trick..

RB have created a Merc-like slot at the FW in their own way.

They create this by having an overhanging piece of FW that extends beyond the endplate and 'cuts in' to connect to the endplate. And they position the downwashing fin that a few teams have at the rear part of the endplate presumably helping this function as the endplate slot did last year.

The flap adjuster is also cranked outboard too compared to the rb18, as well as some aggressive curvature changes potentially causing more vortex shedding in this region..

Last edited by organic on 26 Feb 2023, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.

Cs98
Cs98

organic wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 16:27
Low df RW modified from last year's Saudi/spa/Monza spec. Presumably getting it ready for Saudi. It has been strengthened at the end of the flaps and a stopper has been added to prevent over-extension of the DRS (presumably to prevent the drs problems of the past)

https://i.imgur.com/xORaMcC.jpeg

Motorsport.com 📸
Definitely not. That is a medium downforce wing, which with a gurney flap and strong choice of beam wing operates like a medium-high DF setup. The Spa/Monza/SA wing (upper pic) had a much smaller main plane.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Cs98 wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 19:54
organic wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 16:27

https://i.imgur.com/xORaMcC.jpeg

Motorsport.com 📸
Definitely not. That is a medium downforce wing, which with a gurney flap and strong choice of beam wing operates like a medium-high DF setup. The Spa/Monza/SA wing (upper pic) had a much smaller main plane.
https://www.formula1.com/content/dam/fo ... /image.jpg
If that is a medium downforce wing, then it would seem like Red Bull have moved from 3 wings in 2022 to 4 wings in 2023.

1) Low
2) Medium-1
3) Medium-2
4) High

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 21:32
AR3-GP wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 20:18
Cs98 wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 19:54

https://www.formula1.com/content/dam/fo ... /image.jpg
If that is a medium downforce wing, then it would seem like Red Bull have moved from 3 wings in 2022 to 4 wings in 2023.

1) Low
2) Medium-1
3) Medium-2
4) High

https://i.postimg.cc/6qphGkHb/image.png
I'm expecting 5 total wings I think. I think they will have a Monza specific RW this season
I thought the wing they had last year in Monza was ideal. RB have the advantage of being able to carry a lossier wing than the others because their straightline speed is insane when the DRS opens.

organic

Recommend watching. Covers floor leading edge geometry a little bit and RB's floor edge design choices. Has similar ideas to Kyle engineers but goes into greater detail which is nice

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

A lingering question of mine. How did RB manage to slim down the roll hoop inlet, without any apparent increase in the sidepod inlet size? Where did the cooling go?

avantman
avantman

AR3-GP wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 00:03
A lingering question of mine. How did RB manage to slim down the roll hoop inlet, without any apparent increase in the sidepod inlet size? Where did the cooling go?
Renault, Ferrari, Honda -all use smaller inlets this year. Better understanding of the limits, further optimization of cooling system I guess in the 2nd year of regulations. Harman of Alpine even said they've shrunken one radiator at the center so much, that it basically disappeared. ("we took it from there but didn't put it elsewhere", he said, or something like that)

Vanja #66

AR3-GP wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 00:03
Overly conservative last year? Learned more about internal flow in sidepods and optimised it? :D

Guess the same goes for almost all teams, some cooling improvement can be seen on almost all cars.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

FW17

Are RedBull one of 3 teams using a air to air intercooler?

Ferrari - Water since 2014
Alfa Romeo - Water since 2014
Haas - Water since 2016

Mercedes - Water since 2014
Mclaren - Water since 2023
Aston - Water since 2023

Alpine - Maybe water since 2022

Williams - Air since 2014

Red Bull - Air since 2019
Alfatauri - Air since 2018