2023 Pre-Season Testing - Bahrain International Circuit, Feb 23 - 25

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Giblet
Giblet

Re: 2023 Pre-Season Testing - Bahrain International Circuit, Feb 23 - 25

Redragon wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 11:52
F1doc wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 09:19
Redragon wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 03:28

That's why Pirelli is asked to do a compound that warms up faster as the blankets are going to be banned
Pirelli haven't hit their brief, and it'll be hard to overcome the engineering mountain to get rubber to warm up quickly, not overheat, offer performance and wear life sufficiently for racing. The warmup phase is an issue.

https://www.racefans.net/2023/02/25/dan ... -hamilton/
I am not against the blankets, it is where the F1 is heading so Pirelli are doing what it is told. That's what my point was.

It is not Pirelli building a rubbish compound is F1 who is making them. They still have time so maybe they come with the solution.

Surprise Hamilton is not behind it after gaslighting about climate change and what you should do to improve it while flying on private jets, racing on a F1, etc....

Even F1 probably has not much to do behind the decision as EU has the law to target net zero, so if F1 is not a net zero sport could be banned on racing on EU territory, sounds ridiculous but it is where we are heading.
Caring about the planet is gaslighting now?

You should really look up that term since you are not remotely using it correctly.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

langedweil

Juzh wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 11:43
and here is perez v ham v lec
*incident T4 car 44 and car 11 noted*
*no further action*

This would be great at each qualifying, so we'd have a true picture (in testing there is just not). The data is there, teams have access to gps data ..
HuggaWugga !

langedweil

Giblet wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 15:31
Redragon wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 11:52
F1doc wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 09:19

Pirelli haven't hit their brief, and it'll be hard to overcome the engineering mountain to get rubber to warm up quickly, not overheat, offer performance and wear life sufficiently for racing. The warmup phase is an issue.

https://www.racefans.net/2023/02/25/dan ... -hamilton/
I am not against the blankets, it is where the F1 is heading so Pirelli are doing what it is told. That's what my point was.

It is not Pirelli building a rubbish compound is F1 who is making them. They still have time so maybe they come with the solution.

Surprise Hamilton is not behind it after gaslighting about climate change and what you should do to improve it while flying on private jets, racing on a F1, etc....

Even F1 probably has not much to do behind the decision as EU has the law to target net zero, so if F1 is not a net zero sport could be banned on racing on EU territory, sounds ridiculous but it is where we are heading.
Caring about the planet is gaslighting now?

You should really look up that term since you are not remotely using it correctly.
It is .. especially within the light of context ...
HuggaWugga !

ChrisF1
ChrisF1

f1jcw wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 14:41
Juzh wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 14:14
mendis wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 14:03
While I agree with it, but they are definitely not as big a failure as the 2014s were. There is always a risk in the new regulations of a team getting a leg up. 2014s were unlike anything seen before or after so far.
Yes, but this doesn't concern him because he's rooting for mercedes probably. Rules are only a failure when his team isn't winning, and they are a failure even more because RB of all teams is better than his favourite team (so far).

Some fast onboard laps were released by f1. im not sure what their selection process was as some laps are just taken at random it seems.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/vide ... 87368.html
That stands for everyone, not just bill, as the previous poster mentioned that 2014 rule changes.
Only a Mercedes die hard would say that the 2014 rules were a success.

They turned F1 into an uncompetitive engine formula for the best part of a decade, with the only team who actually came close to engine parity in the first 5 years being a team who then got busted for cheating.

CriXus
CriXus

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

organic

I find the analysis done by that Twitter user questionable personally but I won't poke holes in it

Isola's 1.5s increased performance might turn out to be accurate

From https://twitter.com/f1dataanalytics/sta ... uzmWw&s=19

F1dataanalytics
Last edited by organic on 26 Feb 2023, 16:38, edited 1 time in total.

etusch

langedweil wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 15:28
etusch wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 09:12
langedweil wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 03:56

That's sweet !
Only 3yrs ago pole was 1:27.2 .. so we have some way to go.
It is amazing that they are so fast after some small regulation changes made which are expected to slow down cars. Despite these , they are still bring more performance.
Consider this is Perez's lap time who is quite behind of Verstappen in this front and consider that there is possibility that even Perez can go faster than this time with full performance of car and engine when Q3 came. I expect a pole lap around 1.29.xxx
True that, although we have to consider the C4 won't be around next weekend, but still .. a 1.29 seems feasible.
Oh. sure I forgat that. but I also didn't look which tyre they used when getting 1.30.5xx past season
Last edited by etusch on 26 Feb 2023, 16:40, edited 2 times in total.

f1jcw
f1jcw

ChrisF1 wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 16:29
f1jcw wrote:
Juzh wrote:

Yes, but this doesn't concern him because he's rooting for mercedes probably. Rules are only a failure when his team isn't winning, and they are a failure even more because RB of all teams is better than his favourite team (so far).

Some fast onboard laps were released by f1. im not sure what their selection process was as some laps are just taken at random it seems.
That stands for everyone, not just bill, as the previous poster mentioned that 2014 rule changes.
Only a Mercedes die hard would say that the 2014 rules were a success.

They turned F1 into an uncompetitive engine formula for the best part of a decade, with the only team who actually came close to engine parity in the first 5 years being a team who then got busted for cheating.
I didn't say that, I am using it as a comparision, can just aswell use "only a redbull die hard would say that the 2022 rules are a success".

As you see what works for 2014, works for 2022.

The budget cap and restrictions on engine development is as much closing off development as in 2014.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 16:36
I find the analysis done by that Twitter user questionable personally but I won't poke holes in it

Isola's 1.5s increased performance might turn out to be accurate

https://i.imgur.com/HMH9z3d.jpeg

From https://twitter.com/f1dataanalytics/sta ... uzmWw&s=19

F1dataanalytics
Interesting. That would imply a pole time in the late 1.28s potentially. We are catching back up with the previous generation.

chrisc90

Id date say late 1.28's is perfectly possible. We at a 1.30.3 now in testing and in sure there will be a good second left on the table for qualifying as opposed to testing.

OId be very sceptical of any team wanting to do that much of a 'glory run' in testing and not holding back any performance.

bagajohny
bagajohny

organic wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 12:36
bagajohny wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 12:19
Anyone got the link to full interview of Pat Symonds?
He was in the commentary box for a while on day 3 but I found this link for when he was talking to Ted, more about testing. When he was in the box it was crofty, ant asking him questions and talked about sustainable fuels mostly.

https://streamable.com/g4l5fc
Thanks. This is the one I was looking for.

Bill
Bill

f1jcw wrote:
Juzh wrote:
mendis wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 14:03
While I agree with it, but they are definitely not as big a failure as the 2014s were. There is always a risk in the new regulations of a team getting a leg up. 2014s were unlike anything seen before or after so far.

No i am a Honda fan so i am rooting for rooting for red bull and alpha tauri.f1 dont need much real it just need big rivalries and big personalities and great battle and just few teams to add the numbers,that recipe have been proven to work.you cant preempt the rules and know before the fact what make f1 great,its all snakeoil.man who sell bold ideas about improving the show like overtaking working group are fraud even armed with supercomputers,you never going to know what what engineers will come with ounce they get cracking.people seem to overlook the most important assertion made by Brawn he said terms will be within a two tenth of another not over seconds we got accustomed to .he was wide off the mark.

f1jcw
f1jcw

Bill wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 17:55
important assertion made by Brawn he said terms will be within a two tenth of another not over seconds we got accustomed to .he was wide off the mark.
Even if they knew how to they are stopped by the budget cap and frozen engine.

Maybe the wind tunnel and CFD time should have being even more strict then it is, or, this maybe would have being a better idea, bring back the tokens,for both car and engine, and again weigh down the grid.

Redbull has least amount of tokens, Williams have the most, this would have brought the grid closer together, cause even if Rebull knew how to go even faster they'd have being restricted by not being able to add all of their developments.

organic

There are no tokens

f1jcw
f1jcw

organic wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 18:23
There are no tokens
I know, thats what I am saying, they should bring them back, succesful teams get the least amount and unable to update their car fully, if they want to close up the grid.