Williams FW45

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
EJ22B

Re: Williams FW45

tomazy wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 12:06
I think this is new rear wing, I am at work, so can't compare to be sure.

https://imgr1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/W ... 980508.jpg
Definitely it's a newer design rear wing. This looks like a medium downforce rear wing.

organic

tomazy wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 12:06
I think this is new rear wing, I am at work, so can't compare to be sure.

https://imgr1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/W ... 980508.jpg
Think it's new, nice. I would also guess it's medium df

organic

Up close and personal with the new rear-wing. Lower one is their higher downforce spec

Albert Fabrega 📸

tomazy

Lower one is 2022 high downforce spec. Note on the new one there is also a new pilon and a new DRS actuator, so i hope they also get the new high df one later this year with these features.

SmallSoldier

New beam wing for the FW45

Vía Albert Fabrega

Moctecus

via Albert Fabrega

Moctecus

SmallSoldier

Low downforce wing for FP1 at Williams

Moctecus

Williams were still running the different rear wing specifications on the two cars in qualifying. Might be down to splitting strategies or simply parts availability.
With the new low downforce rear wing, they don't have to crank up the front wing like crazy:

EJ22B

Moctecus wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 21:07
Williams were still running the different rear wing specifications on the two cars in qualifying. Might be down to splitting strategies or simply parts availability.
With the new low downforce rear wing, they don't have to crank up the front wing like crazy:

https://i.imgur.com/W6HH6R9.jpg
The low downforce rear wing Albon is running is the one from last year.

Reference Image:-Image

The new medium downforce rear wing they brought had issues during fp1 and so they removed it from the car.

Moctecus

Thanks for correcting me, EJ22B.
I read about the unplanned rear wing change in FP1, but without checking had assumed that they just replaced it with another example of the same spec.
Andrew Hooper (@WilliamsSupport), who was a VIP guest at Williams on Friday, said it didn't break, but there appeared to be issues with its structural stability, forcing them to take it off. As far as I could find, Williams themselves didn't mention the unsuccessful rear wing test at all.

I tried to find some good images of the new beam wing, which was part of the upgrade, but that turned out to be difficult. Even though the rules were clarified so that the show-and-display car is supposed to feature all new parts now, Williams showed off Sargeant's car without them. And during FP1, they didn't run the wing for long.
Here's one decent image of the new beam wing I could find.
It's quite a departure after staying with variations of the same basic design since the launch of the FW44.

tomazy

Moctecus wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 10:45
Thanks for correcting me, EJ22B.
I read about the unplanned rear wing change in FP1, but without checking had assumed that they just replaced it with another example of the same spec.
Andrew Hooper (@WilliamsSupport), who was a VIP guest at Williams on Friday, said it didn't break, but there appeared to be issues with its structural stability, forcing them to take it off. As far as I could find, Williams themselves didn't mention the unsuccessful rear wing test at all.

I tried to find some good images of the new beam wing, which was part of the upgrade, but that turned out to be difficult. Even though the rules were clarified so that the show-and-display car is supposed to feature all new parts now, Williams showed off Sargeant's car without them. And during FP1, they didn't run the wing for long.
Here's one decent image of the new beam wing I could find.
https://i.imgur.com/YaV8Dxx.jpg
It's quite a departure after staying with variations of the same basic design since the launch of the FW44.
I tried to find some good photos too, and the one you postest is the best one that I have seen jet. Williams actualy did show FW45 with the new wing, I mean @albertfabrega pictures above had to come from somevear. It is just that nobady is taking any pictures of Williams, today media is much more focused of posting billions of pictures of drivers insted of posting 5 pictures of every car.

Moctecus

Williams testing a low downforce single-element version of their new beam wing with Albon. They were also testing smaller front brake ducts.

Here's another shot of the new beam wing with both elements fitted:

Williams's show-and-display sheet for this weekend:

organic

Single pylon low downforce wing finally working for Albon. No DRS flapping today

organic

Car upgrades for Australia. RW endplate modification to improve performance. Will look for photos of it - it's very likely to be the same vane feature that Alpine and Aston Martin have