2023 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, March 03 - 05

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Artur Craft

Re: 2023 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, March 03 - 05

Mchamilton wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 19:27
Boring.
Sorry for not pushing the narrative that Lewis is a victim or is robbed by the FIA or whoever else.

But I have to admit, good on him to motivate his team after the race(on the radio) rather than complain. Very mature of him to accept that this year is likely gone

Controversial claim: I only saw it live during the broadcast but my impression was that Alonso was oddly slow during his contact with Stroll. Sure, Lance is mostly to blame for it but I don´t think it was 100% his fault, Fernando needs to start better next time around

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

I like Alonso but he's embarrassing he's an actor saying stupid things at the radio, there's nothing spontaneous in it imo.. And doing zig zag for a podium... embarrassing
But great race from him, and Stroll too, I was surprised he could keep Russell behind him

PinkFloydPulse

Spoutnik wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 20:04
I like Alonso but he's embarrassing he's an actor saying stupid things at the radio, there's nothing spontaneous in it imo.. And doing zig zag for a podium... embarrassing
But great race from him, and Stroll too, I was surprised he could keep Russell behind him
What stupidity did he say? He discussed tactics with his race engineer, he told them the car was good to drive, he asked about Lance in the end and he celebrated a podium which he and the team won on merit. Some people should be banned from forums and internet for acting like children. #-o
Team Fernando!

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

Artur Craft wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 19:56
Mchamilton wrote:
Boring.
Sorry for not pushing the narrative that Lewis is a victim or is robbed by the FIA or whoever else.

But I have to admit, good on him to motivate his team after the race(on the radio) rather than complain. Very mature of him to accept that this year is likely gone

Controversial claim: I only saw it live during the broadcast but my impression was that Alonso was oddly slow during his contact with Stroll. Sure, Lance is mostly to blame for it but I don´t think it was 100% his fault, Fernando needs to start better next time around
Alonso had over slowed to try and switch back under Lewis at lap 1, meanwhile stroll was late on the break to defend against George, racing incident luckily they both came out unscathed

organic

BorisTheBlade wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 20:10
De Jokke wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 19:55
BorisTheBlade wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 19:50

What are you even talking about? The whole field is terribly close, tracks are different, the season is long and we do not have a single clue about development dynamics?
Are you one of those persons that only care about WCC/WDC (which also is a long way from being decided)?
The whole field is close? Alonso 25sec down on the bulls, owkay :lol:
Firstly, I meant Qualifying pace of course.
Secondly, that whole race picture got distorted by Leclerc's retirement and Alonso's struggles early on. Quite likely the gaps will not be that huge come next race.
Max pulled 10s on leclerc in 1 stint and chilled the rest of the race. The gaps are unlikely to be this big next race sure but the gap today was only as small as 25s because RB lifted foot off the throttle when things were settled. In the budget cap, lowering stress on components and risk of mistakes is essential and that's why we're not seeing huge gaps imo.

Also if you look at the laptimes, max also drove stint 1 as well to a delta when he was pulling a lead out on leclerc. So we likely never saw RB's true pace. Ideally you would be more gentle at the start and then push the tyres more later on.

The gaps from RB to the field were flattering for the others.. not the other way around

This is a high deg circuit though. At lower deg circuits AMR/RB advantage in that department will be nerfed and Ferrari's pure pace will be more advantageous

harty71
harty71

Stroll is massively underrated on a Sunday, he is a good racer and has good pace come race day.

Bisonas

Artur Craft wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 19:56
Mchamilton wrote:
Boring.
He slowed surrendering the position to Hamilton who had the inside and then he tried to change his line out of turn4 to get a better run. That slight change of direction contributed to the contact a bit but If you see the on board from lance, you will see that his dive into the corner seemed a bit risky and opportunistic. I must agree though that the change of line Alonso did out of turn4, didn't help. But i understand why he did it. He did get a better run out of turn 4 than Hamilton and it would be interesting to see how that played out if there was no contact.
Last edited by Bisonas on 05 Mar 2023, 20:40, edited 2 times in total.

Bill
Bill

Ferrari we were told fixed their reliability over the winter and found some performance,the reality is they have not and has gone backward.these season is over in terms of championship ,Honda has fixed their reliability which was already good so who going to take the fight to redbull

Schuttelberg

I took a lot of flak on this forum in the Mercedes days when I said Toto was not the man to lead Mercedes. I stick to my guns. The set up Brawn handed to him is gone more or less and you can see he just isn't the real deal. He's a lucky chap he has the best driver line up on the grid and one of the greatest drivers ever in the stable. But, his leadership in times of immense pressure was revealed in 2018, exposed in 2021 and it's happy hour now!
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

ringo

Great race by Alonso. Showed his quality and ability to adapt to condtions. He knew just how to place the car and he he was able to get it to rotate. The overtake on Lewis and the battle with Sainz. It seems he drives with a little understeer. Both times when he lost the front during the battles he was leaning on the front.
Alonso can try to keep getting podiums and hope that rbr and ferrari have a melt down. He can be a part of the championship fight.

Sainz was worst driver today. He always seems not able to swim in the deep end with the big boys. Always struggling to drive at the same pace like the other front runners and damaging the tyres. He needs a dominant car to be champion. On the other hand very dissapointing for Charles who wss pushing to at least stay within 10 seconds of Max.

At redbull i wonder ehy Pereze was put on a different strategy. I feel he could have been able to challenge Max on the same. But I guess Redbull arent interested in any internal battles.

Great debut by Sargeant. Piastri.. hmm he's okay. Remains to be seen if he was worth the drama last year. Gasly is proving really good insurance for Alpine. They really needed his quality.

Bottas also raced well. He should consifer changing teams after his contract is up. He needs a quicker car.

Stroll could be challenging Alonso once his wrists are well and he gets some more seat time. He put in a respectable performance given the circumstances of his accident.
For Sure!!

ringo

Schuttelberg wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 20:40
I took a lot of flak on this forum in the Mercedes days when I said Toto was not the man to lead Mercedes. I stick to my guns. The set up Brawn handed to him is gone more or less and you can see he just isn't the real deal. He's a lucky chap he has the best driver line up on the grid and one of the greatest drivers ever in the stable. But, his leadership in times of immense pressure was revealed in 2018, exposed in 2021 and it's happy hour now!
Maybe a guy like Toto needs a strong technical director. They should try and snatch Binnotto and then look for another RB aero star.
For Sure!!

kediown

Anyone have statistics for overtakings and pitstop times? I'm yet to see a one

DChemTech
DChemTech

ringo wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 20:41
Great race by Alonso. Showed his quality and ability to adapt to condtions. He knew just how to place the car and he he was able to get it to rotate. The overtake on Lewis and the battle with Sainz. It seems he drives with a little understeer. Both times when he lost the front during the battles he was leaning on the front.
Alonso can try to keep getting podiums and hope that rbr and ferrari have a melt down. He can be a part of the championship fight.

Sainz was worst driver today. He always seems not able to swim in the deep end with the big boys. Always struggling to drive at the same pace like the other front runners and damaging the tyres. He needs a dominant car to be champion. On the other hand very dissapointing for Charles who wss pushing to at least stay within 10 seconds of Max.

At redbull i wonder ehy Pereze was put on a different strategy. I feel he could have been able to challenge Max on the same. But I guess Redbull arent interested in any internal battles.

Great debut by Sargeant. Piastri.. hmm he's okay. Remains to be seen if he was worth the drama last year. Gasly is proving really good insurance for Alpine. They really needed his quality.

Bottas also raced well. He should consifer changing teams after his contract is up. He needs a quicker car.

Stroll could be challenging Alonso once his wrists are well and he gets some more seat time. He put in a respectable performance given the circumstances of his accident.
Both RBs ran S S H right?

ringo

DChemTech wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 20:44
ringo wrote:

I think Max was SHS and Perez was SSH?
For Sure!!

kediown

ringo wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 20:48
DChemTech wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 20:44
ringo wrote:

I think Max was SHS and Perez was SSH?
Both were SSH. Graphics has shown Max on the hards during his second stint by mistake