Wow, mods are one sided

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
chrisc90

Re: Wow, mods are one sided

Sometimes I do think it is a little over moderated. I mean if people strictly followed what the thread title is about then there would be virtually any discussion.

I have a feeling that this thread was 'bumped' because of the race thread being locked due to a bit of talk about Mercedes and where they go from there and a little cost cap related.

Put talk like that in the team thread, gets removed as not related to the team. Make a thread up about the discussion of potentially breaking the cost cap and it gets locked. Where do people go to discuss things like that?

One of the major teams, and probably about 20% fanbase of the members who frequent here. (it is the 2nd most commented thread on the team forum page) and thats a lot of people who just end up 'silenced' because it doesnt go against what the mod team want to see.

Dont get me wrong, they do a great job, and peace is kept most of the time, but people should just be allowed a bit more 'free-speech', so to say.

I mean it was only last week a mod commented on a thread about something, then half a page down the same mod keeps the conversation going that they have just tried to stop. :? :?

johnny comelately

hollus wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 23:32
johnny comelately wrote:
23 Nov 2022, 23:51
I have just got to say, this is one hell of a forum.
Even with all its drawbacks there is nothing like it.
=D>
johnny comelately wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 23:25
Gawd, give 'em a bit of power and look what they do...
Hop out of the road and give me a go, what's the pay?
:wink:
As draconian as it looks at times with all the removed posts (why not make the effort to follow posting guidelines in the first place?), I'd like to think that both facts are, maybe, a bit related?
It is called irony or a paradox, take your pick :)

organic

More "free" speech invariably leads to lower quality discussions from my experience on forums. There are drawbacks to the current level of moderation - especially in some threads and on certain topics - but it will always be a balancing act and a well struck one at the minute IMO

chrisc90

organic wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 00:05
More "free" speech invariably leads to lower quality discussions from my experience on forums
I mean im not meaning name calling, attacks or what-not as that's no good. Sometimes during a discussion things crop up whilst the topic is being discussed and you get a small 'tangent' of a discussion related to that. I think it sometimes falls as a natural part of a conversation with people. Its a tough one for sure, on one hand you get a good conversation between people with lots of good info (mostly) then on the other hand is it doesnt fall exactly in line with the thread title.

People discuss a teams drivers in their representative team thread, but you cant talk about drivers or make a comparison, so you lose good conversation potential.

Just my 2p of course.

hollus

I think we often fail to make policies clear enough…

A tangent in a team thread… OK, team threads move too fast, the tangent might get missed.
But… a tangent in most threads, is likely to be met with a “on topic please” before it becomes two pages, or it is likely to be moved or split to its own thread. A small tangent is typically left there.
Deletion is, in that case, normally a sign of mod exhaustion or desperation.
Tangents are normal and a by-product or cause of good discussions. In moderation, they are welcome in most threads.

Now, the 10 car threads. No mercy there, we make enough effort to mark a clear line there, so, with few exceptions, chop chop chop it is. Too many users, too many posts, allow lap times and gaps, and it would become a fan jungle faster than we could blink, or chop. Experience tells us that.
Rivals, not enemies.

Sofa King

How many forums still have enough substantive discussion to heavily influence the news stories for their sport and even be pulled up on the pit wall? You are obviously doing a great job and presumably working for free or a nominal fee. Feelings of bias are more likely to be a reflection of the poster’s mood and sports are a big trigger for limbic thinking (I am very guilty)
hollus wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 00:27
I think we often fail to make policies clear enough…

A tangent in a team thread… OK, team threads move too fast, the tangent might get missed.
But… a tangent in most threads, is likely to be met with a “on topic please” before it becomes two pages, or it is likely to be moved or split to its own thread. A small tangent is typically left there.
Deletion is, in that case, normally a sign of mod exhaustion or desperation.
Tangents are normal and a by-product or cause of good discussions. In moderation, they are welcome in most threads.

Now, the 10 car threads. No mercy there, we make enough effort to mark a clear line there, so, with few exceptions, chop chop chop it is. Too many users, too many posts, allow lap times and gaps, and it would become a fan jungle faster than we could blink, or chop. Experience tells us that.

Sevach

I will admit that sometimes the strict policy of not talking about performance in the car threads is difficult.
Because, you know... upgrades are made to improve performance, so in my view it's a bit of gray area and sometimes inevitable, though i try to follow the law to the best of my ability.

In fairness to moderation, commiting "faults" there are usually regarded as "racing accidents" :mrgreen: , i have had posts deleted for talking about things i wasn't suppoused to do it there, but i don't remember any scoldings.
Like they understand the rules are harsh so i appreciate that.

ValeVida46

I received this message and I'm bewildered as I've had no engagement with a mod (to my knowledge), I'm old and memory is both selective and jaded so I could be wrong.
This warning is for starting and doubling down repeatedly on an off-topic tangent espousing [snip], followed by a denial that you said it.
The biggest faux-pas is the contradiction (which came as soon as you were challenged - you also chose not to display the item that you contradicted in your response to the challenge).
There was no example, just a hot drop inbox message to say I repeatedly espouse off topic messaging and I contradict my responses to challenges.
Perhaps mods might consider using an example?
That way I imagine their job might be easier and discourse can continue according to their vision?

johnny comelately

ValeVida46 wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 10:39
I received this message and I'm bewildered as I've had no engagement with a mod (to my knowledge), I'm old and memory is both selective and jaded so I could be wrong.
This warning is for starting and doubling down repeatedly on an off-topic tangent espousing [snip], followed by a denial that you said it.
The biggest faux-pas is the contradiction (which came as soon as you were challenged - you also chose not to display the item that you contradicted in your response to the challenge).
There was no example, just a hot drop inbox message to say I repeatedly espouse off topic messaging and I contradict my responses to challenges.
Perhaps mods might consider using an example?
That way I imagine their job might be easier and discourse can continue according to their vision?
Maybe there is a course they can do to become "certified" :wink:

vorticism

Remember, don't ask for statistics about a certain team while hollus is on shift.

𓄀

hollus

Dude, rude! I literally went the extra mile to give you those statistics elsewhere!

A thread apparently opened back on the day to spite another thread was closed. After the discussion was had for 3 pages, and then it stagnated, as the answer is, obviously, yes (per its first post). It might be right or it might be wrong, we might get individual instances right or wrong, but we try to reduce fighting and tit-for-tat on the forum.
Rivals, not enemies.

vorticism

hollus wrote:
07 May 2023, 07:15
Dude, rude! I literally went the extra mile to give you those statistics elsewhere!

A thread apparently opened back on the day to spite another thread was closed. After the discussion was had for 3 pages, and then it stagnated, as the answer is, obviously, yes (per its first post). It might be right or it might be wrong, we might get individual instances right or wrong, but we try to reduce fighting and tit-for-tat on the forum.
No, it was chrisc90's post originally, not yours. Not sure what your last paragraph is about; I wasn't involved and haven't had any posts deleted recently.

1. I was looking for a post I had read recently (it had disappeared).
2. I asked the OP to repost it; this request was made in the appropriate thread.
3. You then locked the thread before the OP could reply.

As for rudeness, I'm in good standing here; except with you and your confetti text poster acolytes. I would consider pretending to be apolitical while being political to be rude. Feigning impartiality while being spurious as rude. hollus, I'm not sure what you're here for. I never see you post anything on topic. You seem to have no knowledge of the cars. You frequently run cover for trolling and off topic posting by the usual suspects--then scoff at the responses they generate.
𓄀

harty71

I agree, I am being warned constantly about bashing Hamilton, I suppose now you're not allowed to criticize a driver when he's underperforming.

vorticism

harty71 wrote:
07 May 2023, 18:23
I agree, I am being warned constantly about bashing Hamilton, I suppose now you're not allowed to criticize a driver when he's underperforming.
He often frames himself as impartial while displaying obvious biases, it's easy to track what he does and does not delete, which threads he locks and those he does not; he's gaming the forum rules to put himself in a position which can't be criticized.

If this account gets nuked again, you know why. If so: nice chatting with you folks. Until next time.

𓄀

chrisc90

Hear hear!!

Was only 2 days ago me, just a fan and mendis got a ‘warning’ for the constant posts about the other team
We'd had enough of you guys fighting each other and telling "other team bad" in past, present and future tense at every chance.

There are warnings next time. Aimed at each other or at others.
You are welcome to come to this forum to discuss F1, but not to pick fights and poison the air.
Oddly enough, one of those hasn’t even been active on the forum for 6 months! Needless to say it’s been escalated higher than the moderation group.

Without any disrespect, there is 1 moderator that seems to be constantly over the top, always ruining civil conversations between members, often with statistics/facts thrown in the post as evidence. But because it involves another team for example, boom, post deleted and threats of warnings for even certain considering to voice your opinion.

Not sure why the rest of the mod team manage perfectly fine but one is far too heavy handed.

Not the first time I’ve had borderline abusive PMs from one moderator, and can’t see it being the last.