2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Darth-Piekus

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Ben out of curiosity. How much did that rule change cost to Mclaren in terms of time?

kfrantzios
kfrantzios

Darth-Piekus wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 18:43
Ben out of curiosity. How much did that rule change cost to Mclaren in terms of time?
How can anyone answer that question? #-o

Darth-Piekus

Just asked for an estimation. There should be an idea. They talked about 15mm difference but we all know that even 1mm makes a difference in F1.

Macklaren
Macklaren

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/norr ... /10440505/

I think these comments by Lando were aimed at this group more than the team :lol:

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

https://www.racefans.net/2023/03/06/mcl ... ms-stella/
Despite languishing at the bottom of the constructors’ standings, a position the team last held halfway through the 2017 season, Stella was positive about the pace of the McLaren MCL60 on Sunday.

“I think the most positive element today is that without the issues, Lando would have been a strong contender for points,” he said.

“The pace of the car in the race was almost beyond expectation. I think in the race we see some reward of the work we did over the winter in trying to improve the interaction between the car and the tyres. This was certainly a strong position on Lando’s side.

“But also Oscar actually was having good degradation in the first stint. He overtook cars, it was a very tight race, so we could have been in the points with two cars. That’s the most positive outcome of this event.”

Norris agreed the performance of the McLaren MCL60 was “not as bad as everyone was expecting before the test and before the race.” He said the car’s pace “was actually okay-ish today as well, and I think we could have scored a point today at least. So a shame we had the problems that we did.”

McL-H
McL-H

It is difficult not for me to be hyped up for the update in Baku. If they took the bold decision that the current car was not good enough and abandoned this concept 3 months ago already, while on Sunday they were still up for points, how good must the B-car be then? I noticed that even though they were very pessimistic at the car launch and during testing, last weekend everyone at the team seemed to be really happy. Even after the DNF’s they didn’t seem to care too much. Piastri still smiling. McLaren stating they’ve seen lots of positives. They know already know how fast the new car is by now, they’ve ran their simulations, right? I get the feeling the team is very optimistic about Baku onwards. Looking forward to it.

MrGapes

Mostlyeels wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 19:56
https://www.racefans.net/2023/03/06/mcl ... ms-stella/
Despite languishing at the bottom of the constructors’ standings, a position the team last held halfway through the 2017 season, Stella was positive about the pace of the McLaren MCL60 on Sunday.

“I think the most positive element today is that without the issues, Lando would have been a strong contender for points,” he said.

“The pace of the car in the race was almost beyond expectation. I think in the race we see some reward of the work we did over the winter in trying to improve the interaction between the car and the tyres. This was certainly a strong position on Lando’s side.

“But also Oscar actually was having good degradation in the first stint. He overtook cars, it was a very tight race, so we could have been in the points with two cars. That’s the most positive outcome of this event.”

Norris agreed the performance of the McLaren MCL60 was “not as bad as everyone was expecting before the test and before the race.” He said the car’s pace “was actually okay-ish today as well, and I think we could have scored a point today at least. So a shame we had the problems that we did.”
I agree, if you compare Lando's stints to drivers on relative stints (same tyres and age), his lap times were very competitive, obviously with caveat we didn't see a deep stint, 15-16 laps... but even last year against mercs and ferrari's it didn't matter how old the tyres were on the cars in front they continued to pulled after 1-2 laps, this time Lando kept relative or faster pace in 2 occasions with Leclerc and Lewis. I watched the entire onboard for the race, car looked far more balanced in the race than in qualifying conditions. If anything we should be optimistic for the upcoming development...(the way Stella says the car looks 'alive' in the tunnel sounds exciting :lol: )

RS200E

continuum16 wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 17:31
Macklaren wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 15:15
To those who say that NOR only kept up with HAM/ALO/STR/RUS because he was on fresher rubber....do you think McLaren had 6 sets of new tires?? He was used tires most of the time and one of his new sets was a Medium, which was rubbish on this track. Yes, he could push more since he was on 11-lap stints but the problem also caused performance issues.

For clarity and objectivity purposes:

He completed 55 laps:
18 of them on used softs (most likely from qualifying, so max. 3 laps, albeit at least one at full push)
37 on new rubber, various compounds

He was actually not on used rubber most of the race. They had 4 sets of new tires. If the last stint was the one where he kept up with the leaders (I think it was), it was on an 8-lap stint on used softs (presumably not more than 3 laps old when they put them on), compared to ~25 lap stint on hards from those in front.
Yeah the optimism drawn from Lando's stints are unfounded unfortunately.

McLaren are struggling. Are any other teams bringing updates between now and Baku?
The power of Red Bull Powertrains!

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Darth-Piekus wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 18:43
F1 said publically that it was worth 5 tenths. So if Mclaren are saying it hit them harder than expected, then safe to say it was more than 5 tenths.

diffuser

Ben1980 wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 17:36
Hard to blame these issues on the team I guess. Cars seemed OK out there in comparison to its direct on track challengers.
Who do you blame then?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

diffuser wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 06:47
Ben1980 wrote:
Hard to blame these issues on the team I guess. Cars seemed OK out there in comparison to its direct on track challengers.
Who do you blame then?
Why does there needs to be someone to blame? A blame culture isn’t a positive one… That doesn’t promote a Team environment nor innovation, you don’t want people wasting time trying to cover their @#$ instead of finding ways to improve the situation.

diffuser

SmallSoldier wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 07:39
diffuser wrote:
Ben1980 wrote:
Who do you blame then?
Why does there needs to be someone to blame? A blame culture isn’t a positive one… That doesn’t promote a Team environment nor innovation, you don’t want people wasting time trying to cover their @#$ instead of finding ways to improve the situation.
We're not part of the organization. Someone has to take responsibility. You can't blame Merc for this. These issues are a McLaren short coming. 2nd year in a row that they start the year on the back foot. They need to figure out why these issues are falling through the cracks. Last year they said they had a engineering shortage. They hired more engineers.

Ben1980
Ben1980

diffuser wrote:
Ben1980 wrote:
Who do you blame then?
Don't really blame anyone. Parts giving way on cars can happen. Unless someone did sonething deliberately to cause it, which I'd be surprised about.

kfrantzios
kfrantzios

SmallSoldier wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 07:39
diffuser wrote:
Ben1980 wrote:
Who do you blame then?
The better question would be "who is responsible then?" And the obvious answer is the team.

_cerber1

In my opinion, it is unacceptable when a team like McLaren, with their history, experience and capabilities, disrupts pre-season testing for the second year in a row, but even worse, they did not even predict these problems. As a result, they couldn't run the simulation race and identify the reliability issues we had during the Grand Prix. I can understand when there are any problems on the tests, but they should be resolved within an hour, a maximum of half a day, and not disrupt all sessions. Obviously, the technical staff should reconsider their approach to work.