Mercedes W14

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
organic

Re: Mercedes W14

djones
djones

I’d guess Mercedes have done a lot of favours for Aston in the past, including letting them carbon copy a previous car.

Mercedes will likely call in them favours and Aston will tell them what the trick is. So I half expect any concept changes to align more to how the Aston car looks.

SiLo

Maybe a bit part of the trick is actually moving the cockpit back? Mercedes have one of the most advanced cockpits on the grid, with Red Bull and Aston having it quite far back.
Felipe Baby!

PlatinumZealot

Cockpits are at maximum distance from the front wheels. It's an easy meal and a no-brainer to do so with this lack of bargeboard formula.

Lewis Hamilton seems to suggest that the lack of balance is a big issue. Could point towards the centre of pressure of the floor or the front suspension...

https://www.planetf1.com/news/lewis-ham ... isten-w14/
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

JimHe

Poor balance is still a result of lacking df. The team are compromising suspension stiffness, floor height and wing angles. I don’t think the team is making mistakes of weight balance getting into second ground effect season. I remember toto argued the w14 couldn’t run at the same floor height as rb and aston. So the trick may lies in front suspension. Given the arms are interfering with airflow towards floor entrance& radiators.

Vanja #66

How did they get from a car that wants to be run as low as possible to a car that can't run low enough over the winter? :wtf:
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Femi
Femi

Vanja #66 wrote:
08 Mar 2023, 15:42
How did they get from a car that wants to be run as low as possible to a car that can't run low enough over the winter? :wtf:
I suspect that's a side effect of solving poisoning. I could be wrong though.

Venturiation
Venturiation

Femi wrote:
08 Mar 2023, 15:57
Vanja #66 wrote:
or they removed porpoising by removing downforce and if they they bring more downforce it may come back again

JimHe

Vanja #66 wrote:
Ground effect cars always want to run close to the ground to generate df. But W14 cannot set similar minimum running height as amr/rb otherwise porpoising will happen. So they are forced to rise up the underfloor but deteriorate downforce level — that’s partly why drivers complain W14 lacking df and worse tyre degradation.

Matt2725
Matt2725

Venturiation wrote:
08 Mar 2023, 16:09
Femi wrote:
Vanja #66 wrote:
or they removed porpoising by removing downforce and if they they bring more downforce it may come back again
I thought the reason behind the barn door rear wings last season was precisely because they couldn't generate enough downforce from the floor?

It would appear they solved one part of the equation but not the other.

AA_2019
AA_2019

Matt2725 wrote:
08 Mar 2023, 16:57
Venturiation wrote:
08 Mar 2023, 16:09
Femi wrote:

I thought the reason behind the barn door rear wings last season was precisely because they couldn't generate enough downforce from the floor?

It would appear they solved one part of the equation but not the other.
They have solved their problems with this W14 aka W13B. =D>

It has enough downforce to compete for the 2022 championship. 8)

Trouble is that is now 2023 #-o
One day AI might be able to fix the W13 zero pod concept !

SiLo

PlatinumZealot wrote:
08 Mar 2023, 13:24
Cockpits are at maximum distance from the front wheels. It's an easy meal and a no-brainer to do so with this lack of bargeboard formula.

Lewis Hamilton seems to suggest that the lack of balance is a big issue. Could point towards the centre of pressure of the floor or the front suspension...

Are they? I thought it was pretty clear that a few teams had the cockpits farther back on the chassis.
Felipe Baby!

organic

SiLo wrote:
08 Mar 2023, 19:08
PlatinumZealot wrote:
08 Mar 2023, 13:24

Are they? I thought it was pretty clear that a few teams had the cockpits farther back on the chassis.
It is but some will continue to deny it despite the large amount of work that has gone into conclusive analysis in this area

ringo

organic wrote:
08 Mar 2023, 11:25
Why is the floor so steep?
Is it a hollow internal space, or is the underside deep?
Very different from the other teams. Looks like a huge volume underneath.
For Sure!!

icantride
icantride

ringo wrote:
08 Mar 2023, 20:05
organic wrote:
08 Mar 2023, 11:25
Why is the floor so steep?
Is it a hollow internal space, or is the underside deep?
Very different from the other teams. Looks like a huge volume underneath.
I've been wondering that too since the launch. The top side looks far higher than the W13 ever was. The W13's top side of the floor did gradually get higher over the season. Whether that's because they're increasing the size of the tunnels underneath, or if they're just thickening the floor to stiffen it up. I suspect it's the former but until we get a nice shot of under the car we won't know for sure