2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Re: 2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

mzso
mzso

F1Krof wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 22:52
Why not bring Paddy Lows back? He was good around 2014-17. And also, bring back Aldo Costa.
Wash he? Is there anything that can be definitely attributed to him?
I think moving James Allison into a honorary position, was more of a loss.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

These people don't want to be "brought back".

Many of them left F1 because they wanted a better work-life balance.

mzso
mzso

chrisc90 wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 23:52
Maybe Toto should have listened to Christian wayyyy back last year when he told him to "change his f%$kn car." Probably the best bit of free advice ever given to a team. :lol:
Where do you get that from? Drive to survive?
chrisc90 wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 01:36
I thought Elliot said there was no B spec car with his interview with Ted Kravitz?
People lie. Apparently a lot more than typical when they're in F1.
Venturiation wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 01:38
chrisc90 wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 01:36
I thought Elliot said there was no B spec car with his interview with Ted Kravitz?
he said there will be a new sidepods and it will look very different but follow that concept
But that sounds like the "Baku update" that is supposed to gain 0.3s lap time, that is now reported to be scrapped.
He explicitly said there's no B-spec car. Maybe they started planning one now...

Stu

Yet again, a team thread derailed with whataboutery regarding potential driver moves and comparisons!

MANY POSTS DELETED

If you want to discuss such things, why not use the pre-silly season silliness thread?
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

mzso
mzso

Redragon wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 01:44
All the teams went the opposite direction with their designs, Mercedes went size zero pods. Can't be wrong 95% of all the technical staff on f1. They should have started to work on plan B last year on May. Now they are 1 year and half behind with budget cap. Ego sometimes is a bitch
While your statement about wrongness is wrong, I agree with the sentiment. I think early last year clearly showed that their idea is a failure. And they seem to too proud to just copy Ferrari or Red Bull.

Sevach
Sevach

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/merc ... /10441102/

At times it sounds like Toto wants to desperately dump this car but the engineers want to keep developing it.

smith100s
smith100s

One circuit, first time out I at a rear limited circuit. I think their needs to be some calm. I also think the new rear wing should have been introduced during the tests to allow for further set up. Let's see what can be done over next few races.

PlatinumZealot

We are not in bad shape...
Balance is good. No bouncing..

Just need good old grit and a long grind in the wind tunnel
"The reason we've still got this skinny sidepod concept is because we still believe that is best and, to be honest, I still believe that's not going to transform our performance, if we came next week with a Red Bull style sideboard," he thought.

"I don't think that's going to suddenly find us half a second. I think the magic is done on the floor and the parts of the car that we can't see."
George Russell
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Sofa King
Sofa King

It’s important to include the full quote as these articles can create the impression that there are new quotes coming from Lewis when they are just his post race interviews in the media pen. Plenty of drivers express frustration with the cars, but we don’t rush to conclude they are jumping ship.

“We’ve got to look into the balance through the corners, look at all the weak points and just huddle up as a team, that’s what we do.

“We’re still multi World Champions you know, it’s just they haven’t got it right this time, they didn’t get it right last year, but that doesn’t mean we can’t get it right moving forwards.”

CHT wrote:
08 Mar 2023, 14:59
Goblin42 wrote:
08 Mar 2023, 13:16
It's going to be a long and grueling season with 23 races, possibly no wins, and a pay cut.
To make things worst, he still has got a young and talented teammate with a strong desire to drive and beat him this season. To be fair to Merc, what Hamilton said about the team performance end of 2022 and pre-season is so different to what he is saying now.

Cs98
Cs98

napoleon1981 wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 15:22
Cs98 wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 15:07
napoleon1981 wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 15:01

Weight is for sure related to a concept.
It sure isn’t when that same concept is now at the weight limit and every other team bar one was also overweight. It was a consequence of the regulations, not any one concept within those regulations. The Alfa purposely went with a short wheel base for example to save weight.
It is, because they did not have the resources to do it. Only now, without majorly changing the car they are able to do it.

Anyway long story, but the Merc was faster in Q3 than last years RB. Slice or dice it the way you want. The car gained alot of pace and engineers were fooled. Likely by their own rule they advocated for. Raising the floor edge (as you like) 15mm and losing alot of reference.
No team did. Merc have showed that in one year of aero development they weren’t able to best RB’s one year old, overweight, concept.

mendis
mendis

napoleon1981 wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 15:22
Cs98 wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 15:07
napoleon1981 wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 15:01

Weight is for sure related to a concept.
It sure isn’t when that same concept is now at the weight limit and every other team bar one was also overweight. It was a consequence of the regulations, not any one concept within those regulations. The Alfa purposely went with a short wheel base for example to save weight.
It is, because they did not have the resources to do it. Only now, without majorly changing the car they are able to do it.

Anyway long story, but the Merc was faster in Q3 than last years RB. Slice or dice it the way you want. The car gained alot of pace and engineers were fooled. Likely by their own rule they advocated for. Raising the floor edge (as you like) 15mm and losing alot of reference.
https://scuderiafans.com/pirelli-reveal ... ext%20week.
2023 tires are about 1.5 seconds faster than 2022 ones

JordanMugen

PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 02:46
"The reason we've still got this skinny sidepod concept is because we still believe that is best and, to be honest, I still believe that's not going to transform our performance, if we came next week with a Red Bull style sideboard," he thought.

"I don't think that's going to suddenly find us half a second. I think the magic is done on the floor and the parts of the car that we can't see."
George Russell
Russell doesn't seem to address how to keep the front tyre wake away from the rear of the car while having skinny sidepods? How is the concept the best when the front tyre wake can wander in where (presumably) you don't want it, unless they know something others don't and low energy air from the front tyres going into the beam wing is not a problem or even beneficial? :?:

<<insert picture of W14 vs RB19 brake lock up comparison where the W14's front tyre smoke can be seen being drawn towards the beam wing, where the RB19's tyre smoke stays outboard. I can't find it right now, but I assume others saw it also. I think it was on this forum, not sure>>

Edit: Here it is, credit to B-Sport:

I don't know if using tyre smoke as smoke flow visualisation is accurate, but B-Sport certainly had an ingenious idea to do so!

CHT wrote:
08 Mar 2023, 14:59
To make things worst, he still has got a young and talented teammate with a strong desire to drive and beat him this season.
Mod edit - off topic paragraph removed
Last edited by Stu on 09 Mar 2023, 13:55, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic paragraph removed

Wouter

Sofa King wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 06:02
It’s important to include the full quote as these articles can create the impression that there are new quotes coming from Lewis when they are just his post race interviews in the media pen.
Plenty of drivers express frustration with the cars, but we don’t rush to conclude they are jumping ship.

“We’ve got to look into the balance through the corners, look at all the weak points and just huddle up as a team, that’s what we do.

“We’re still multi World Champions you know, it’s just they haven’t got it right this time, they didn’t get it right last year, but that doesn’t mean we can’t get it right moving forwards.”
https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/64893927

From the original article on BBC:
"Last year, there were things I told them. I said the issues that are with the car," said the 38-year-old Briton.

"I've driven so many cars in my life. I know what a car needs. I know what a car doesn't need. I think it's really about accountability."

Hamilton, who was talking to the latest edition of Radio 5 Live's Chequered Flag podcast, said he still believed Mercedes could return to the front at some point.

"It's about owning up and saying, 'Yeah, you know what? We didn't listen to you. It's not where it needs to be and we've got to work'," he said.

"We've got to look into the balance through the corners, look at all the weak points, and just huddle up as a team. That's what we do."

"We're still [multiple] world champions, you know? Just haven't got it right this time. Didn't get it right last year. But that doesn't mean we can't get it right moving forwards."
The Power of Dreams!

Lucky
Lucky