McLaren MCL60

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
organic

Re: McLaren MCL60

Substantial update to the diffuser geometry

mwillems

Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

mwillems

From this angle it is a stunning car, the lighting really demonstrates the detail.

mwillems

Why do these shapes look so different? The second picture from practise shows that area to rise above the level of the floor like a knuckle, the first from Thursday is quite different. On the picture from the side it looks the the area has been designed to be easily replaced, a modular part. On both picturs that area looks in different condition to the floor around it.

This is the area some thought was a hole from looking at some of the the Feb test pictures.

Looks like you can see the reinforcing of the wheel brow here too.

Thursday:

Friday Practise:

djos

mwillems wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 12:18
Why do these shapes look so different? The second picture from practise shows that area to rise above the level of the floor like a knuckle, the first from Thursday is quite different. On the picture from the side it looks the the area has been designed to be easily replaced, a modular part. On both picturs that area looks in different condition to the floor around it.

This is the area some thought was a hole from looking at some of the the Feb test pictures.

Thursday:
https://i.ibb.co/RvXwQdx/Pic2.png

Friday Practise:
https://i.ibb.co/mTcccxM/Pic1.png
Those covers are over the lower side crash structures.
"In downforce we trust"

mwillems

djos wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 12:42
mwillems wrote:

Thursday:

Friday Practise:
But why the difference between the pics, that surely isn't a trick of the light?

djos

mwillems wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 12:44
djos wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Thursday:

Friday Practise:
But why the difference between the pics, that surely isn't a trick of the light?
I think they just stand out due to the difference in finish. The covers appear to have a smoother finish and are likely just a thinner carbon. To me I can’t see any real change from the last race.
"In downforce we trust"

mwillems

djos wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 12:49
mwillems wrote:
djos wrote:

I think they just stand out due to the difference in finish. The covers appear to have a smoother finish and are likely just a thinner carbon. To me I can’t see any real change from the last race.
You may be right, it just looks so different between the two, not even close to the same.

djos

mwillems wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 13:07
djos wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 12:49
mwillems wrote:

You may be right, it just looks so different between the two, not even close to the same.
Agreed, it’s a very big contrast in surface finish. It’s almost like they sanded off the lacquer from the main floor section.
"In downforce we trust"

mclaren111

Lucky

'Tis me, just me.

Without trawling through 60(?) pages of conversation; I wonder what the use of a double bump sidepod with the small trough in the middle shedding some amount of airflow in some way, probably for reasons of front tyre wake. In this case, why don't you create such a shape towards the front of said sidepod if at all possible to help interact with the outwash earlier and closer to the front wheels where it is smaller and more manageable (I assume). Or is the goal to remove pressure from above the sidepod for some reason that eludes me maybe excess lift although that shape seems like it accelerates airflow..... anyway - sending it again outboard. But since this trough/waterslide/double bump whatever seems small and only seems to affect a small amount of mass flow with a small amount of energy but over a large area.

I guess my point is, isn't there a very high chance that this trough waterslide thing is sliding low energy air straight into the gap between rear wheel and diffuser, significantly impacting rear DF potential and making for a very unpredictable rear end and whence a slower car? I'm no engineer or aerodynamicist, but this approach seems flawed to me. Whatever the actual purpose is.

organic

Upgrades for Australia. Change to floor fences to improve floor performance. Nice to see the upgrades rolling in

Will look for photos of the floor fences

RS200E

Normal adjustments for the track, not anything to get positive about.
The power of Red Bull Powertrains!

Stig14

RS200E wrote:
31 Mar 2023, 20:21
Normal adjustments for the track, not anything to get positive about.
I've never heard of floor fences being updated as a track specific change?