2023 car comparison thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
organic

Re: 2023 car comparison thread

AR3-GP wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 01:32
mzso wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 01:21
Vanja #66 wrote:
17 Mar 2023, 22:44

I'm not sure why your pictures are always posted in smallest resolution, but this one would be much better in full size :)
This may be the source:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Frbn8jiWwAE ... name=large
Is this from Jeddah? It's interesting how much more cooling openings the Aston has. The bathtub probably means they can't quite get the cooling exhaust out to the back of the car efficiently.
RB has a bunch of cooling outlets that just aren't visible from this angle. For instance they have 2 different cooling outlets where their rear suspension meets the sidepod/engine cover, and they have an additional rear exit below the sharkfin. It's something they've been optimizing since early in 2022.

mzso

AR3-GP wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 01:32

Is this from Jeddah?
The painted run-off seems to suggest that. I merely searched for the originally shared image and this came up:

organic

I am imagining the original images are from nextgen auto. They usually nail these overhead images in the same spots on the track

AR3-GP

I was wondering because at first I thought the RB had a beam wing which I didn't recognize. The I realized it's an optical illusion and that it's just the single element beam wing that was shared already in the other thread.

vorticism

Those valleys in the AM sidepods provide a smaller cross section area compared to the RB, while still (seemingly) providing the outwash of a wide sidepod. I find this interesting. RB/Ferrari big pods + the small cross sectional area of the midsection you might only expect from the W13/14.
𓄀

organic

vorticism wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 02:36
Those valleys in the AM sidepods provide a smaller cross section area compared to the RB, while still (seemingly) providing the outwash of a wide sidepod. I find this interesting. RB/Ferrari big pods + the small cross sectional area of the midsection you might only expect from the W13/14.
They pay it back with a lot of Centreline cooling that RB/Ferrari lack

vorticism

Not necessarily. RB or Ferrair could carve a similar channel in their sidepod (not that they should) and still have sufficient evacuation of the radiators; their sidepods are likely oversized in that specific regard (internal flow) and shaped mainly for their exterior airflow properties. AM's centerline cooling may be more about having a Merc powertrain rather than sidepod constriction.
𓄀

Andi76

organic wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 02:40
vorticism wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 02:36
They pay it back with a lot of Centreline cooling that RB/Ferrari lack
It sounds like everyone thinks centerline cooling is a big advantage, but maybe that impression deceives me too. But just in case - don't jump to conclusions here, a lot of things need to be mounted higher, which increases CoG. In relative comparison, Ferrari's solution, which raised little to no parts of the cooling, should give the lowest CoG.

vorticism

Vanja #66 wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 16:03
Look at launch-spec floor inlet on F1-75, even narrower, innermost vane starts all the way under the nose.
https://cdn-3.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... arlo-1.jpg
If you make it narrower, then you won't force too much pressurisation in the front part of the floor, ie you won't create lift where you want downforce.
That might be why McLaren last year diverted t-tray airflow over the floor rather than under it. Haven't seen a good photo of this year's car's t-tray.

Edit- Looks like they've ditched it.

mwillems wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 12:18
Thursday:
𓄀

vorticism

+1 zioture. That's a good illustration of how much higher the floor edges are this year. Also, the rake on the RB, if this part of the track can tell us anything.
𓄀

AR3-GP

vorticism wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 16:48
+1 zioture. That's a good illustration of how much higher the floor edges are this year. Also, the rake on the RB, if this part of the track can tell us anything.
Without knowing which part of the circuit this is, it's hard to tell. We don't know if they are in a brake zone.

vorticism

True although I bet you even in this formula they are continuing with relatively more rake and ride height. This was talked about last season. They have over a decade of experience with high rake and by association ride height, and their Valkyrie side project was a venturi tunnel sitting half a meter off the ground.
𓄀

AR3-GP

From this angle, the Red Bull DRS flap looks a lot steeper than that of the Ferrari.

dialtone

AR3-GP wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 17:17
From this angle, the Red Bull DRS flap looks a lot steeper than that of the Ferrari.
That could explain why they are good in corners as the main plane is the primary influence when DRS is open and the RBR one looks flat as the sea.

Last year I shared a picture from Barcelona and it seemed identical, Ferrari had less steep DRS flap than RBR. This forum told me that I was wrong and what mattered was the direction that airflow hits the wing (which I agree with, but the difference is going to be minimal anyway).

Unfortunately Ferrari wasn't running full engine mode in FP to check if the DRS closed speed is near or not.