2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
The Prodigy
The Prodigy

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Congratulations to McLaren and their fans. Great race.

_cerber1

Oscar is a cool pilot, this is probably the only positive result of the race. No updates will bring us the speed to fight for the leadership in the middle group, at best, this is the beginning of the second ten. :(

Swed3121
Swed3121

Zak is going to be working overtime to keep all the sponsorship money as well as the drivers after such a brilliant performance

geogate
geogate

well, again, the positive interest for Mclaren is the performance of Piastri - To be honest he the biggest reason now i want to see the update bring something decent - the guy is something special from what i see

Ben1980
Ben1980

Just checking that everyone has remembered both had to change frobtvwings in the first 2 laps?

And that's why there were so far back.

Piastri not hit, he cones 10th at least.

Tracks awful though.

Stig14
Stig14

Christ some people love to overreact.

McLaren were incredibly unlucky with Oscar being squeezed and the subsequent debris taking out Lando's front wing. The pace looked fine in clear air but the high downforce setup meant they were always going to struggle to make up places. Better reliability though and Oscar getting some much needed race experience are small positives.

Hopefully the team can have a "normal" race soon!

Xero

Race was ruined in the first few corners, so nothing much to say. Clearly the car is compensating for lack of floor performance by piling on dirty downforce. Good to see Piastri right on the pace, he's going to push Lando all season which is what the team needs.

MTudor
MTudor

My god the comments are so hilarious in here 😂😂😂

Slahinki
Slahinki

Ben1980 wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 20:33
Just checking that everyone has remembered both had to change frobtvwings in the first 2 laps?
Can't let facts and a calm head get in the way of some good old whinging and bashing the team, as if that's going to help anything.
Tracks awful though.
An awful track for an awful nation. Fitting. To believe we're not getting a German grand prix, but we get this mockery instead.

Stig14
Stig14

MTudor wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 20:37
My god the comments are so hilarious in here 😂😂😂
I know. You have to laugh at some people when they act like clowns. =D> =D> =D>

Macklaren
Macklaren

Are the trolls on here actually getting paid per post? Keep it up though.... It's hilarious

Re McLaren... The good news is that we've drained our bad luck cup by Race 2, so it's smooth sailing ahead 😁

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

Ben1980 wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 20:33

And that's why there were so far back.

Piastri not hit, he cones 10th at least.

Tracks awful though.
Yes, everyone's forgotten about the front wing damage :) Top speed with DRS was pretty poor, but good job to Piastri for 48 laps on the Hards, managing the tyres, matching his teammate on Mediums, and at least matching the other cars on newer tyres.

That's shockingly bad luck for Lando to be hit by his teammate's debris.

McL-H
McL-H

Swed3121 wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 20:28
McL-H wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 20:27
Are the team in dispute with FOM or??
Barely seen the McLaren’s all race.
That’s what happens when you become a backmarker
That’s a bit unfair, isn’t it? The team were just very unlucky this race with 2 front wing changes in beginning of the race. As close as the field is, that’s just detrimental to your race. Does not immediately make the team backmarker?

proteus

Xero wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 20:36
Race was ruined in the first few corners, so nothing much to say. Clearly the car is compensating for lack of floor performance by piling on dirty downforce. Good to see Piastri right on the pace, he's going to push Lando all season which is what the team needs.
I was convinced staying on hards was a mistake, but he used them perfectly. I do hope they manage to sort the car back into front end of the midfield soon, because drivers are more than capable to deliver good results.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

proteus wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 20:41
Xero wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 20:36
I was convinced staying on hards was a mistake, but he used them perfectly. I do hope they manage to sort the car back into front end of the midfield soon, because drivers are more than capable to deliver good results.
When they didn't pit Piastri at first I thought "must be a mistake", then figured they probably only had the one set of new Hards (which he was on), so they didn't think Mediums would last. Turns out the delta was almost zero between the two cars at the end, so lineball. They must've had good data to make that call, especially for Piastri's first few races (hard to judge if his management is good). He was a bit hesitant on the start, which I think is fair: Lando had the same approach in the start of his rookie season -- bring the car home -- so it's possible he could've got ahead and avoided the accident at the start, but it looked pretty tight.

E: Lando waiting a lap or two and then going onto the Mediums during the SC I thought must be him arguing with his race engineer about it :)
Last edited by Mostlyeels on 19 Mar 2023, 20:48, edited 1 time in total.