2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mkay
mkay

Re: 2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

harty71 wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 21:14
mkay wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 21:09
Poor from Bono - he should have told HAM to keep pushing in the event ALO has a 10s penalty.

HAM finished 10.4s away from ALO. 0.4s cost him P4.
They were expecting 5 secs.
That's even worse considering Ocon (I believe) received 10 seconds at the last GP for not having served his 5-sec penalty properly.

zibby43
zibby43

AR3-GP wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 14:44
zibby43 wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 07:15
AR3-GP wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 06:14

I think if they are running a concept that is like Ferrari/RB/AMR, then you know that it works already.
Didn’t they say last year that they tested rivals’ designs and that they didn’t think they were worth pursuing further?

What’s changed?

Makes me wonder how true those past statements were, because what they’re saying now makes sense given the AM is flying with so many Merc components.
I'm also skeptical of claims of how well they investigated non-W13 ideas. Engineers don't work in vacuum. They already strongly believed in their original ideas. They're human. It will have been hard for them to look at other ideas without some bias against them simply because it was not their own idea.
I agree with everything you set out above.

zibby43
zibby43

taperoo2k wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 16:01
zibby43 wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 04:22
AR3-GP wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 02:05
Big news and good noises coming out of the Mercedes camp:
https://the-race.com/formula-1/mercedes ... ter-shift/

Says Merc are making big gains in the WT in the last 10 days.

This is fascinating.

What in the hell were they doing over the winter, then? Clearly not evaluating any other paths.
Sounds like they had tunnel vision over the W13 concept to the exclusion of all else. I'd guess there are a lot of bruised ego's amongst those in charge of Mercedes technical team. Might have been a case of the engineers knowing it was never going to work but being ignored by the management.
Yep. I took their word at face value when they had previously said that they thoroughly delved into other concepts’ potential. PR speak.

zibby43
zibby43

mkay wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 21:28
harty71 wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 21:14
mkay wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 21:09
Poor from Bono - he should have told HAM to keep pushing in the event ALO has a 10s penalty.

HAM finished 10.4s away from ALO. 0.4s cost him P4.
They were expecting 5 secs.
That's even worse considering Ocon (I believe) received 10 seconds at the last GP for not having served his 5-sec penalty properly.
Didn’t Bono state that ALO had a potential penalty?

ringo

I think the team were expecting 5s.

As for W13 and W14, its possible the engineers were just going with that their data was telling them.
Also for the CFD models, if certain boundary conditions or assumptions are not factored, then potential gains are not apparent. It's likely certain phenomena were ignored or considered negligible and now the team has learned to consider them and are now seeing why their performance was not what it seems.
All in all, I am glad they see where things can be improved. Toto said the W14 concept has a dead end. It doesn't mean it cannot work, becuase we have seen w14 and w13 run better than ferrari in some races, but the ceiling of performance on the concepts are lower than whatever it is they have now found.
For Sure!!

mkay
mkay

Question is how quickly they can get this concept on track. I am confused as to whether the vaunted sidepod upgrade for Baku/Imola is a continuation of the current concept or the new concept they've been developing over the past several weeks/months.

It wouldn't make sense to keep developing a concept that has a dead end, unless the developments can carry over to the new concept. They should use the 20 remaining races as an 8-month long testing session.

ringo

mendis wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 20:27
Great job by George to be finishing ahead of both Ferraris and especially keeping his team mate behind that was on faster tyres!
ringo wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 17:44
I think Russel is more talented than Max. Have always maintained that. I am not a big fan like Harty and Mendis are. But having seen how Russel raced max last year in spain. And some other hilights of his.. He is very good.
Not so long ago you said Latifi was better than George and that George hasn't done anything to earn a place at Mercedes. :D

This is exactly why you never wanted George alongside Lewis.
By the way, that's not true. Since you are so good a digging through the past, I am sure you found posts where I claim Russel is more talented than the other young drivers, and you ignore those to select the saucy bits to regurgitate here. lol.
Anyhow let's continue to watch the season unfold.
Hamilton has been trained by a girl and has been eating grass for the past decade. Maybe it's time he gets a macho trainer and eat some animal protein and get some aggression. I did notice that even after coming into Russel's DRS he just backed off. Possibly too proud and not bothered to fight Russel over a 4th place.
In the past he was more aggressive.
For Sure!!

ringo

mkay wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 22:16
Question is how quickly they can get this concept on track. I am confused as to whether the vaunted sidepod upgrade for Baku/Imola is a continuation of the current concept or the new concept they've been developing over the past several weeks/months.

It wouldn't make sense to keep developing a concept that has a dead end, unless the developments can carry over to the new concept. They should use the 20 remaining races as an 8-month long testing session.
Toto was asked how quickly and he cheekily went around the question.
For Sure!!

zibby43
zibby43

mkay wrote:

The forthcoming upgrades are a continuation of something that was cooked up months ago. They’ll continue to bring those forward and not waste the gains while they venture down the new path.

When we’ll see the true new path is a mystery at this point, I think.

harty71
harty71

ringo wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 22:17
mendis wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 20:27
Great job by George to be finishing ahead of both Ferraris and especially keeping his team mate behind that was on faster tyres!
ringo wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 17:44
I think Russel is more talented than Max. Have always maintained that. I am not a big fan like Harty and Mendis are. But having seen how Russel raced max last year in spain. And some other hilights of his.. He is very good.
Not so long ago you said Latifi was better than George and that George hasn't done anything to earn a place at Mercedes. :D

This is exactly why you never wanted George alongside Lewis.
By the way, that's not true. Since you are so good a digging through the past, I am sure you found posts where I claim Russel is more talented than the other young drivers, and you ignore those to select the saucy bits to regurgitate here. lol.
Anyhow let's continue to watch the season unfold.
Hamilton has been trained by a girl and has been eating grass for the past decade. Maybe it's time he gets a macho trainer and eat some animal protein and get some aggression. I did notice that even after coming into Russel's DRS he just backed off. Possibly too proud and not bothered to fight Russel over a 4th place.
In the past he was more aggressive.
And there we have it, I knew this excuse would eventually come, Russell is only winning because Hamilton is a vegan.

mzso
mzso

Hammerfist wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 14:30
mzso wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 11:52
Hammerfist wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 05:26
The only thing I worry about when it comes to Lewis is Mercedes never being able to give him a car that can win again. That is a distinct possibility now and he may end up never competing at the front again. We shall see.
What I'm sad about is that Russel got to the team as they fell back. I would have liked to see him defeat Hamilton for the championship.
If the mighty verstappen could not stop Lewis in the final 4 races of 2021 how on earth would George Russell have done that? Especially considering we saw he was outperformed by Hamilton in 2022? Are we now saying George is better than Max?
What do you mean could not stop? Could not stop him cheating? Like cutting a corner and gaining several seconds? Or ramming him in the rear? Luck, and dirty moves and steward bias was with Hamilton in 2021. He got away with a black flag worthy crime and caused an extra PU change for Verstappen. That's easily a dirty 50 point plus for him.

Also Hamilton didn't outperform Russel last year in any way. It was the other way around for the most part.

mzso
mzso

Hammerfist wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 14:40
DGP123 wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 13:26
chrisc90 wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 13:01
I think it’s a little too early to be making comparisons for this season, but over the era of the car Russell does appear to be getting hold of the horns better on the W13/14 so far.
Nonsense. Hamilton was easily quicker during the races from the summer onwards last year, and Chandhok stated this last season on numerous occasions on Sky. Lewis also won the Q h2h last year. Lewis was ahead and quicker than Russell in Abu Dhabi too, before the car broke down. Beat Russell two weeks ago in Bahrain too.

Complete and utter nonsense that Russell has got a better feeling with these types of cars.
Agreed.
Except that Hamilton spelled it out that he doesn't feel the car...

Redragon

zibby43 wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 22:22
mkay wrote:

The forthcoming upgrades are a continuation of something that was cooked up months ago. They’ll continue to bring those forward and not waste the gains while they venture down the new path.

When we’ll see the true new path is a mystery at this point, I think.
The problem I see with this approach is, if this abandoned concept / new upgrades are put in the car and they gain enough to be at front, they will be completely lost as they will be working on a new concept already but the old one is giving you enough gain. So, if they are fully commited on a new concept wouldn't be better to stop all old concept development and work on new concept even if it means few months delay. Otherwise I feel they will get confused and will not commit in one way or other, staying on a place with not clear picture

mzso
mzso

JordanMugen wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 18:01
Obviously the thing Mercedes probably can't change during this season is the forward cockpit position they have compared to other cars.
You mean the imaginary thing that was discredited long ago?

mzso
mzso

harty71 wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 18:45
The PlayStation Generation is an improvement, like PS3 vs PS5.
Hamilton is PS1 generation. So only Alonso is not Playstation generation, so you're not saying much...