[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2023 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2023 (Grand Prix Cars)

variante wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 20:59
CAEdevice wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 20:51
I answer only about the rims, because I haven't downloaded the template yet.

Rims will be "filled" with cylindrical volumes (if you can't find them in the template, maybe the staff forgot to include them), no additional cells (no cells at all) there should be inside the internal rim volume.
Yes, but they're still consuming CAD processing power.
CAD? I don't think it can be a bottleneck. OpenFoam simply merge them if you refer to your purely graphic windows, just merge the rims and the cylinders or erase the holes between the rims (simulation will not be affected).

PS: I am thinking to Solidworks/Spaceclaim/Fusion 360/FreeCAD... workflow, I am not sure that my suggestions are valid for SketchUp

LVDH

I somewhat understand his problem. He loads all files into his system and it gets slow. He blames it one the rims. So, maybe deactivate them in the CAD system?

variante

Yeah, it's not so straightforward for my preferred workflow.
I assumed others would have the same issue like a few years ago, but it's probably not the case anymore.
So, scratch it, i'll sort it out myself. Please focus on the other points.

Koldskaal

variante wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 20:28
- RV_Vehiclebody still going lower that RV_Floor_Body. Not sure how the rules deal with this.
Rule 12.6 deals with this:

12.6 when viewed from below, the floor must be the lowest part of the car within the area defined by RS-Floor-plan.
MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian

G-raph

Hi all!

Great job with the new rules and CAD parts, particularly the new tyre shapes. I'm quite excited by the new season ahead!

One issue I spotted is the new wheel inboard face extends too far inboard, and covers the brake duct cylinder. This means there is now a rotating boundary condition on that face (around the brake duct inlet) which is quite unrealistic. See picture below. Same happens on the rear wheels.

Can we get a fixed stl surface as soon as possible please?

2022 (correct) one for reference :

CAEdevice

Yeah, tyre supplier and suspension supplier are not the same this year, so a bit of fine tuning of the assembly will ne necessary :)

I would have a request for the sporting rulebook.
What about a defined rule about what CFD postprocessing will be shown after each race?

I think that a specific rule would be useful for clarity and uniformity. As an example: some (2, 3) images about pressure distribution (or near surface velocity?) of the three top cars (or winner only?) would be a good compromise, maybe with a simplified 3 levels scale (to be generated also by "local" MFlow post processing).

Another proposal is about a MVRC dedicated LinkedIn profile, with race reports and promotional messages.

I candidate myself as "press officer" if nobody else has time to manage it, just because I already write reports on LinkedIn for my team and I can easily re-use the articles.

variante

Koldskaal wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 19:25
variante wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 20:28
- RV_Vehiclebody still going lower that RV_Floor_Body. Not sure how the rules deal with this.
Rule 12.6 deals with this:

12.6 when viewed from below, the floor must be the lowest part of the car within the area defined by RS-Floor-plan.
Sounds good.
Then, maybe, article 12.6 should come before article 12.5.

CAEdevice wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 23:23
Another proposal is about a MVRC dedicated LinkedIn profile, with race reports and promotional messages.

I candidate myself as "press officer" if nobody else has time to manage it, just because I already write reports on LinkedIn for my team and I can easily re-use the articles.
Good idea.
I could help with articles and graphic design.

Being sometimes featured on the home page of F1 Technical might also be a positive.

LVDH

G-raph wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 22:52

One issue I spotted is the new wheel inboard face extends too far inboard, and covers the brake duct cylinder. This means there is now a rotating boundary condition on that face (around the brake duct inlet) which is quite unrealistic. See picture below. Same happens on the rear wheels.

Can we get a fixed stl surface as soon as possible please?
I knew this would have to get fixed. I am collecting a set of issues first. I mean, you can all run with the current MFlow to get an idea if your car is working but keep in mind that the new version will have a number of settings changed.

CAEdevice wrote:

This is an idea I like very much, esp. as we have someone to take care of it. From my side, you can get started on this.

Probably Friday or during the weekend, I will try to address all the other issues.

CAEdevice

CAEdevice wrote:

This is an idea I like very much, esp. as we have someone to take care of it. From my side, you can get started
[/quote]

Ok, I am going to register the page and send invitations today (using the logos from MVRC website).

The first article will be about the previous editions, based on the tab published by Variante in the 2022 thread.

Joe7218

Hey guys, after 2 years away from the competition, I think I should finally have enough time to get involved again. Keen to start developing my car and see what you all come up with!

CAEdevice

Joe7218 wrote:
23 Mar 2023, 06:25
Hey guys, after 2 years away from the competition, I think I should finally have enough time to get involved again. Keen to start developing my car and see what you all come up with!
Welcome back!

Schifty

I will be in this season, but i want to know with wich software the part provided can be open. Because i have Blender but i cant open any of them ?!

But sincerely i think something is missing for new comers. I mean almost each season, thats pretty much same people so you all know how to...

I think a quick tuto about how to convert provided file to any 3d software and 3d software to a valid participing files can be very usefull.

Ft5fTL

Schifty wrote:
23 Mar 2023, 23:14
I will be in this season, but i want to know with wich software the part provided can be open. Because i have Blender but i cant open any of them ?!

But sincerely i think something is missing for new comers. I mean almost each season, thats pretty much same people so you all know how to...

I think a quick tuto about how to convert provided file to any 3d software and 3d software to a valid participing files can be very usefull.
Blender should be able to import stl files if i remember correctly. Also there is a blender addon called STEPper for importing step files. Earlier days on this competition i used 3ds max and then shifted to Fusion 360. There is lots of free cad softwares (freecad, onshape, fusion 360) that can do the job.

About the tutorial part, i dont think any of us have the time or motivation to do a "how to". There is litteraly dozens of cad systems - 3d modeling softwares to cover. Just import the parts and follow the rulebook.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

Koldskaal

Schifty wrote:
23 Mar 2023, 23:14

The assembly file with all the parts can be opened in FreeCAD. You can open the file in FreeCAD and export the volumes to stl, if you want to work in blender. All the individual parts are also available in .step format. step is supported by every parametric CAD program.
MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian

spacehead3

Ft5fTL wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 03:49
About the tutorial part, i dont think any of us have the time or motivation to do a "how to". There is litteraly dozens of cad systems - 3d modeling softwares to cover. Just import the parts and follow the rulebook.
I think we will all certainly help with any specific issues and maybe even a bit of aero advice, but yeah, if you just need general CAD tutorials your best bet is google.
Max Taylor