2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

mwillems wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 14:22
mclaren111 wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 13:20
There had to be good reasons for Stella to choose Peter Prod over Key...

Hope it doesn't backfire on him & PP delivers with new windtunnel...
How tightly was PP managed to work inside a concept and how did that restrict him?

Who knows, hopefully Stella, but simply taking that position now doesn't mean that his work is not being watched very closely, or that the team aren't looking to see if the position can't be improved, just that perhaps that improvement isn't available right now, we have to be pragmatic about this.
I believ you are in the right track… Key’s exit is most probably driven by Sanchez availability and not the other way around (hiring Sanchez because Key is leaving)… You could have a similar situation in other departments.

Mclarenfanboy

Bring Helmut Marko in a special advisory role, the guy is a piece of work, but at least he is telling it like it is, and not sugarcoating it all the time...

mwillems

Mclarenfanboy wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 21:46
Bring Helmut Marko in a special advisory role, the guy is a piece of work, but at least he is telling it like it is, and not sugarcoating it all the time...
I find him repulsive and would hate to have him in our team. There is nothing of the sportsman about him, means justify his ends, he casts people aside in a heartbeat. Nah, I would drop this time in a flash.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

trinidefender

I've intentionally not been reading the team thread since the news broke because I knew it would be mayhem so forgive me if this opinion has been presented already. While we will have to see what the new personnel bring, I can't say I'm not concerned about the new structure. It really sounds like the old and much hated matrix management structure.

That was sadly a causal factor in the old blame culture and the lack of flexibility in the McLaren team of the late noughties and early teens. Am I the only one?

djos

mwillems wrote:
mclaren111 wrote:

How tightly was PP managed to work inside a concept and how did that restrict him?

Who knows, hopefully Stella, but simply taking that position now doesn't mean that his work is not being watched very closely, or that the team aren't looking to see if the position can't be improved, just that perhaps that improvement isn't available right now, we have to be pragmatic about this.
If you look at the new structure, PP isn’t responsible for the overall car concept, David Sanchez is. So it’s sounds like PP will have input, but the overall direction is up to David.
"In downforce we trust"

SmallSoldier

trinidefender wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 01:17
I've intentionally not been reading the team thread since the news broke because I knew it would be mayhem so forgive me if this opinion has been presented already. While we will have to see what the new personnel bring, I can't say I'm not concerned about the new structure. It really sounds like the old and much hated matrix management structure.

That was sadly a causal factor in the old blame culture and the lack of flexibility in the McLaren team of the late noughties and early teens. Am I the only one?
To be fair, all organizational structures can either work or fail depending on the individuals… a Matrix organization isn’t inherently bad, the right culture and members can make it work and can be very efficient.

M840TR

SmallSoldier wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 19:28
mwillems wrote:
mclaren111 wrote:

I believ you are in the right track… Key’s exit is most probably driven by Sanchez availability and not the other way around (hiring Sanchez because Key is leaving)… You could have a similar situation in other departments.
It's a bit of both tbh. Key was given 3 chances to prove himself. The Mcl35M that was mostly an evolution of Pre-Key Mcl35 design. I think he failed to make any substantial addition to it, mostly just the same design with continuing flaws and benefits.

I think his more obvious failures were consistently insisting on continuing development in 2021 because according to him it would be easy to catch-up to the leaders under the new regs. Then not only falling flat in 2022 and 2023 with the design direction, but spectacularly mismanaging the pre-season program with cooking brakes and shattering wheel-arches. Who would want to keep him after that really?

mwillems

djos wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 01:43
mwillems wrote:
mclaren111 wrote:

If you look at the new structure, PP isn’t responsible for the overall car concept, David Sanchez is. So it’s sounds like PP will have input, but the overall direction is up to David.
Yes, I'm just talking about whether PPs move into this structure means he is viewed as safe.

Sanchez has basically taken on a TD role with no authority which has passed on to Stella.

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 06:43
trinidefender wrote:

To be fair, all organizational structures can either work or fail depending on the individuals… a Matrix organization isn’t inherently bad, the right culture and members can make it work and can be very efficient.
I'm not even sure it is matrix, the only question is how can the concept be driven by 4 people, but of all things the concept is what needs the most input across the board.

Chassis and aero are still headed and by one person each and there will be no question of who is responsible for their performance.

I think this move might suggest that now there isn't an avenue for the concept creator to ignore feedback from the two who head the actual development of the car.

It also will separate the teams that work on the current car and next year's car.

Ground Effect

mwillems wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 09:14
SmallSoldier wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 06:43
trinidefender wrote:

I'm not even sure it is matrix, the only question is how can the concept be driven by 4 people, but of all things the concept is what needs the most input across the board.

Chassis and aero are still headed and by one person each and there will be no question of who is responsible for their performance.

I think this move might suggest that now there isn't an avenue for the concept creator to ignore feedback from the two who head the actual development of the car.

It also will separate the teams that work on the current car and next year's car.
I tend to agree with this, makes the most sense of all the suggestions I’ve seen.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mwillems

But if that is what James Key was doing then it is a people problem and not a structure problem. It could have been managed out or replacing him could have fixed the issue alone.

So I still do believe that in part Stella wants more direct authority over the car by removing one management layer.

mwillems

Another way to look at this that Stella wanted one person who was focused on delivering the new car and whom wouldn't be distracted by in season development, or even led down a path by the current car and its development.

The more I think about this, the more it seems like a good idea and the less it seems like matrix management.

mclaren111

Pitpass.com:
Giuseppe Pesce is promoted to Director, Aerodynamics & Chief of Staff, to support the running of the aero department reporting to Peter Prodromou.
Additionally, the team has been undertaking a sustained recruitment campaign to increase the technical capability, with some senior appointments already made.
Alongside these changes, Piers Thynne moves into the expanded role of Chief Operating Officer for the Formula 1 team. This new role will support the Team Principal in the mission of innovating and elevating the standards at McLaren, to be strongly positioned to be competing at the front of the grid.

All positive moves... Lets hope it works as Stella intends...

Only time will tell...

ScottR267

mclaren111 wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 10:59
Pitpass.com:
Giuseppe Pesce is promoted to Director, Aerodynamics & Chief of Staff, to support the running of the aero department reporting to Peter Prodromou.
Additionally, the team has been undertaking a sustained recruitment campaign to increase the technical capability, with some senior appointments already made.
Alongside these changes, Piers Thynne moves into the expanded role of Chief Operating Officer for the Formula 1 team. This new role will support the Team Principal in the mission of innovating and elevating the standards at McLaren, to be strongly positioned to be competing at the front of the grid.

All positive moves... Lets hope it works as Stella intends...

Only time will tell...
Here’s to hoping McLaren can pick up some top talent from the bigger teams with their ideas….

RS200E

Not surprised Key is gone. He did nothing. At least Fry before him made a car with some strengths. A slippery car is better than a brick.

Might be good timing too. Get some fresh faces along with the wind tunnel. McLaren won't be a top 3 team for a long time though, again. Short term dreams are over if they weren't already.
The power of Red Bull Powertrains!