Carbon Fibre Coffee Mugs

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
Project Four

Carbon Fibre Coffee Mugs

A few years okay I saw a coffee mug made totally out of carbon-fibre. Ever since seeing this I have never seen one again and I did do a quick Google and did not find anything.

So as question is there any reason, cost aside, why??

DaveKillens

Re: Carbon Fibre Coffee Mugs

Considering that carbon fibre can have high thermal conductivity, it has nothing to do with logic or common sense. It's about the bling factor, having a fake cell antenna on your car, gold-capped teeth, it's all about looking sharp even though you may be the dullest knife in the drawer.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

RH1300S

I was given a CF coffee mug a few years ago - what I can say is that any hot drink tasted disgusting :wtf:

Maybe the word got out :mrgreen:

Giblet

Just as cool, and Formula 1 material.
http://www.rocketworld.org/titanium_mugs.htm
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Ian P.

The Ti mug would probably conduct heat (cool the beverage down) similar to a "tin" mug or an aluminum one. Fine for back-packing or camping where weight is an issue but not for sitting behind a computer musing over what to type.
Carbon fiber on it's own does have a very high thermal conductivity. Once laid up and set in epoxy the conductivity along the fibers remains high but across the grain and through the epoxy it is far less conductive.
I like the idea of a Carbon Fiber Mug, yes for the Bling but also for the conversations it would start. OK, mostly for the Bling......
A few years ago when BAR started their team, the story was that they had cabon fiber utencils in their hospitality suit and the justification was the weight they saved in hauling the stuff all around the globe.
Guess it is going to be similar to the situation with Ford parts....no problem, just make your own.
Personal motto... "Were it not for the bad.... I would have no luck at all."

Giblet

I have a carbon fibre hard hat which helps keep my head warm in the winter where the steel ones conduct cold, same reason my boots have a composite toe.

a regular hard hat is $10, a steel one is $50, mine was 90.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

jddh1

Ian P. wrote:The Ti mug would probably conduct heat (cool the beverage down) similar to a "tin" mug or an aluminum one. Fine for back-packing or camping where weight is an issue but not for sitting behind a computer musing over what to type.
Carbon fiber on it's own does have a very high thermal conductivity. Once laid up and set in epoxy the conductivity along the fibers remains high but across the grain and through the epoxy it is far less conductive.

I like the idea of a Carbon Fiber Mug, yes for the Bling but also for the conversations it would start. OK, mostly for the Bling......
A few years ago when BAR started their team, the story was that they had cabon fiber utencils in their hospitality suit and the justification was the weight they saved in hauling the stuff all around the globe.
Guess it is going to be similar to the situation with Ford parts....no problem, just make your own.
For the bold text, I think for the bling, fine, but you cannot drink out of hit other that cold drinks. As RH1300S says, hot drinks would taste horrible. The heat of the fluid would melt the epoxy and you'd be ingesting epoxy. Not too healthy. So I guess for a pencil holder, fine, but to drink out of it, not good at all.

Although, I'd rather have CB helmet for my motorcycle. I'll probably get one next year. I've seen some people wearing them around and I like the "bling" and the effectiveness of them.

PlatinumZealot

Maybe the CF mug can be ceramic coated on the inside.. lol
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Project Four

jddh1 wrote:As RH1300S says, hot drinks would taste horrible. The heat of the fluid would melt the epoxy and you'd be ingesting epoxy. Not too healthy
This is point I was trying to get too, would it melt the expoy at 100c.

Giblet

There are many kinds of epoxies, and with carbon being pretty much inert (I think, however I am not a scientist like Batman or Ironman) you might be able to use an marine epoxy that is used to coat boats. This is the same kind if epoxy I need to use for my plywood aquarium. I am building a fish tank that is going to be around 500 gallons out of plywood, with a glass front. Very slick.

This is the epoxy that can be used for marine applications, and considering how sensitive fish are to the water and what is in it, the fact people are using this product in fish farms means it should be safe.

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/

For maximum strength I'm sure you would want the proper epoxy, but does the mug need to survive an impact at racing speed, protecting the driver inside?

Some of the folks I contract through do stone cladding on large (30+ story) buildings, and the epoxy they use to attach their returns to, is regularly heated with a tiger torch (propane tank flame thrower), to no effect.

I'm not sure about temperatures it can reach, however kinds of epoxies are quite varied and there must be a material out there that can be used.

Ray

I'd rather have one of these.

James_graham

I dont think the epoxy would melt till after 100[oC] Cure temp is around 120.

Henning

Not a coffee mug, but a coffee cup and even a carbon beer "glass"

http://www.schmolke-carbon.de/carbon/ca ... _c_uk.html

Richied76

James_graham wrote:I dont think the epoxy would melt till after 100[oC] Cure temp is around 120.
Good point, but the main one i was thinking was can anyone acctual drink 100c tea/coffee?

Besides if were getting technical, chilled milk at 4c plus the energy (heat) lost between, getting up from the pc (looking on F1technical.net) will loose you around 5c min. then brew time of 1min will cost arond another 5c.

I asume thea to be around 50-65c max... hence tea should taste nice :lol:

Richard

Richied76 wrote:
James_graham wrote:I dont think the epoxy would melt till after 100[oC] Cure temp is around 120.
Good point, but the main one i was thinking was can anyone acctual drink 100c tea/coffee?

Besides if were getting technical, chilled milk at 4c plus the energy (heat) lost between, getting up from the pc (looking on F1technical.net) will loose you around 5c min. then brew time of 1min will cost arond another 5c.

I asume thea to be around 50-65c max... hence tea should taste nice :lol:
Why guess when you can measure? I get 92C. I preheated a temp probe to 80C while the kettle was boiling, put the probe in a cup, then poured the water from the kettle into the cup.

I can imagine you'd get some tainting from a poorly selected epoxy. I also imagine some epoxies would be suitable for food use at 100C.