2023 FIM MotoGP World Championship.

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Wouter

Re: 2023 FIM MotoGP World Championship.

Tech3 won't replace injured Espargaro for two MotoGP rounds

Tech3 intends not to replace Pol Espargaro in the next two MotoGP races as a sign of respect for him
following his severe Portuguese Grand Prix FP2 crash.

The Spaniard crashed into the tyre barriers located at Turn 10 of the Portuguese track in FP2, in an impact that caused
several fractures to his jaw and back, as well as severe trauma to the lung area.

Espargaro will remain under observation for another 24 hours in hospital in Faro before doctors assess the possibility
of giving him permission to be transferred to Barcelona in the coming days for surgery.

Although it is still too early to calculate the extent of the injuries, it is clear that the Tech3 GASGAS rider will not be able
to get back on his bike in the coming rounds in Argentina next week and the Americas GP in mid-April.

In addition to this Sunday's race in Portugal, Tech3 intends not to replace him in the next two rounds of the calendar.

"We won't do it out of respect for Pol," an executive from Tech3 told Motorsport.com on Saturday.

"Then, when we really know how he is and we have a clearer idea of the situation, then we will think of a plan."
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

etusch

When he can compete for wdc, he already miss 2 races. Unlucky

Cuky

some of the fans are again complaining about how those bikes look, how they "have too much aero and too much technology". But I can't remember when it was this hard to predict the results. OK, Ducati has the best bike hands down, but still to have Miller, Marquez, Aprilias, Quartararo all in the mix and never to know who's going to take the top spot is amazing.

Also, KTM has their rear wing as well

mendis

Cuky wrote:
26 Mar 2023, 13:36
some of the fans are again complaining about how those bikes look, how they "have too much aero and too much technology". But I can't remember when it was this hard to predict the results. OK, Ducati has the best bike hands down, but still to have Miller, Marquez, Aprilias, Quartararo all in the mix and never to know who's going to take the top spot is amazing.

https://scontent-vie1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=64254AF6
F1 is an example of everything that can be wrong with motorsport when unchecked, unabated, dirty aero is allowed to grow that destroys the close fighting machines. Maybe MotoGP isn't there yet, but it won't be long before you would see all kinds of dirty aero appendages starting to sprout on bikes.

etusch

Cuky wrote:
26 Mar 2023, 13:36

https://scontent-vie1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=64254AF6
This short race was more pace related and bikes were close enough. At some point there were 5 bike in the fight of p1. I think it is good sign. Today tire management will be there too, along with riders consistancy. So we will see what will be changed and who will be better, soon.

etusch

I like this race. But if Vinales would have been a little bit better, it would be wonderfull race. If Aprilla find something which make them little bit faster, they looks like they are at a level that enough to compete with Bagnaia.
Ktm looks strong. I believe they should left pipe chasis as soon as possibe. I see it as their shortcoming. These are prototipe bikes. They shouldn't approach motogp like as if it is wsbk

Cuky

mendis wrote:
26 Mar 2023, 13:48
F1 is an example of everything that can be wrong with motorsport when unchecked, unabated, dirty aero is allowed to grow that destroys the close fighting machines. Maybe MotoGP isn't there yet, but it won't be long before you would see all kinds of dirty aero appendages starting to sprout on bikes.
I personally would disagree with that. I've been following F1 from 1999 and in my opinion problems arose when FIA started meddling with rules to slow the cars down and "improve the show" without proper research. Basically we got a ton of knee jerk rule changes from FIA in a bid to catch Ferrari on the wrong foot and slow everyone down that they made the cars unraceable. The 2022 rules are the first in my memory that had some proper testing and loophole checking done to insure that the formula will actually work and that there won't be loopholes that would negate what rules were set to do.

As for MotoGP when those appendages started to appear they were quickly banned on safety grounds. Now aero is regulated tightly enough on the fairing side so that we don't get some crazy design, yet are open enough to allow engineers freedom to innovate. Basically the only part of the bike that is not tightly regulated (other then total dimensions) is seat and tail unit and that is where we are seeing engineers gone wild.

That being said, new technical regulations should be coming in for 2026 and with them apparently ride height devices would be banned as well as aero more regulated.

Wouter

In a statement released on Monday morning, Honda revealed that Marquez had broken the first metacarpal of the thumb of his right hand following his collision with RNF rider Oliveira in the Portuguese Grand Prix on Sunday.

The fracture was discovered when Marquez returned to his home country of Spain and it was immediately operated upon at the Ruber Internacional Hospital in Madrid by a team led by Doctor Ignacio Roger de Ona.

As part of the surgery, the fracture was reduced and fixed internally with the use of two screws.

Honda said the surgery passed without incident, but stated that he won't be fit to take part in the second round of the season at Termas de Rio Hondo on 2 April .

No timeline was provided as to when Marquez will be able to return to racing again.
The Power of Dreams!

sosic2121

Any news on will he receive any penalty for causing that accident?

AMG.Tzan

sosic2121 wrote:
27 Mar 2023, 13:34
Wow, this is the 4th year in a row that he's going to miss a race...

Apparently his penalty was only for the Argentine GP but, I expect Dorna to move it to the US GP! It doesn't make any sense otherwise...

It's a shame though! Marc looked quite strong in the Sprint and could have managed a Top 5 finish in the main race even though Portimao doesn't seem to be one of his better performing tracks! He said on Saturday though that the only way of catching the Ducatis is by braking later...

So if the penalty does take effect in the US GP (provided he does manage to race there) it will be another season where Marc loses at one of his favorite tracks! Anyway...he should be more careful next time!

With Bastianini and Marquez out, Quatararo nowhere to be seen, I don't see anyone challenging Bagnaia...he'll run away with it just like Max in F1!
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

etusch

AMG.Tzan wrote:
27 Mar 2023, 14:36
sosic2121 wrote:
27 Mar 2023, 13:34
Wow, this is the 4th year in a row that he's going to miss a race...

Apparently his penalty was only for the Argentine GP but, I expect Dorna to move it to the US GP! It doesn't make any sense otherwise...

It's a shame though! Marc looked quite strong in the Sprint and could have managed a Top 5 finish in the main race even though Portimao doesn't seem to be one of his better performing tracks! He said on Saturday though that the only way of catching the Ducatis is by braking later...

So if the penalty does take effect in the US GP (provided he does manage to race there) it will be another season where Marc loses at one of his favorite tracks! Anyway...he should be more careful next time!

With Bastianini and Marquez out, Quatararo nowhere to be seen, I don't see anyone challenging Bagnaia...he'll run away with it just like Max in F1!
I also think that, that penalty stays with MM until he make a long lap.
I am not sure if he could finish in top five.
Aleix Espargaro had said during preseason tests that ducati's are braking very good. Aprilla has some small deficit engine power wise but maybe a little bit at braking too. They are so close to ducati. To me, Vinales is WDC candidate this year. They should find a way to keep rear tyre longer. If they could, this race were first win for them.
No this year is not Fabia vs Bagnaia, but Vinales vs Bagnaia.
This is only first race and too early to say what I say, but a feeling inside me that at twisty tracks, Aprilla will be more better. (ducati accelerates faster, decelerates sooner, and these are their power, not turns)

etusch

He is escaping penalty because he won't race the next one. I think they will change this rule.

cheeRS

Marc is desperate and it really showed on Sunday. I love the guy; he's my favorite rider by far, and I miss seeing him in competitive physical shape on a competitive bike - MotoGP is better when that's the case. I may ruffle some feathers, but it's a bit boring to see less talented riders absolutely dominating on the Ducs.

I'd pay very good money to have Marc switch to ride next to Bagnaia, but I know that's a pipe dream.
🤭 wrote:
“Being the 'most successful statistically' has nothing to do with being the 'best'. neither when it comes to the cars, nor when it comes to the drivers” 😂

etusch

cheeRS wrote:
27 Mar 2023, 18:00
Marc is desperate and it really showed on Sunday. I love the guy; he's my favorite rider by far, and I miss seeing him in competitive physical shape on a competitive bike - MotoGP is better when that's the case. I may ruffle some feathers, but it's a bit boring to see less talented riders absolutely dominating on the Ducs.

I'd pay very good money to have Marc switch to ride next to Bagnaia, but I know that's a pipe dream.
ducati's overtakes on ktm felt unjustic. even we question Ducati riders talent, we should praise their engineers for the bike they made. We just need to wait until Honda and Yamaha solve their issues. Just a matter of time ( long time or short ) and I believe Aprilla is there for exciting competition.