Red Bull RB19

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
vorticism

Re: Red Bull RB19

Baku:

Jeddah:

Side by side:
π“„€

vorticism

racefans.net & XPB images:
π“„€

vorticism

1 louver for quali, 2 for sprint (unless Perez & Verstappen were running different specs):

π“„€

Vanja #66

vorticism wrote: ↑
29 Apr 2023, 21:06
Great stuff vorticism! I believe we can get a better idea of powerful DRS of RB. In short, I would say their low-downforce wing features a main plane at a negative angle in outboard sections of about 1/3rd of the span (so 2/3rds of the wing overall), reducing its drag with DRS on. Why further reduction? As a non-symmetric aerofoil, it would have a minimal drag at a negative angle.

This absolutely goes hand-in-hand with big DRS flap angle, to allow big overall camber making up for a slightly smaller overall wing angle than they could have within those dimensions. Goes without saying, it would mean they are working the flap very hard and on the edge of separation, however this was evident with the V-notch in any case.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Vanja #66 wrote: ↑
29 Apr 2023, 22:24
Great stuff vorticism! I believe we can get a better idea of powerful DRS of RB. In short, I would say their low-downforce wing features a main plane at a negative angle in outboard sections of about 1/3rd of the span (so 2/3rds of the wing overall), reducing its drag with DRS on. Why further reduction? As a non-symmetric aerofoil, it would have a minimal drag at a negative angle.

This absolutely goes hand-in-hand with big DRS flap angle, to allow big overall camber making up for a slightly smaller overall wing angle than they could have within those dimensions. Goes without saying, it would mean they are working the flap very hard and on the edge of separation, however this was evident with the V-notch in any case.
Red Bull has been using a notched rear flap since 2009 more or less. It has featured on every RB built since then.

The problem I have with this theory is that it's all rather elementary, yet it seems a total mystery to Ferrari, Mercedes, and even Aston Martin who have Dan Fallows.

Also, as has been reported elsewhere, the Haas also has a very powerful DRS system (which goes mostly unnoticed) that has been designed with assistance from a lot of former Ferrari staff.

My unsubstantiated theory is that the wing itself is part of the global pressure field and opening it seems to change something upstream that is causing a bigger ovreall drag reduction effect than a drag reduction of the wing itself. When the wing is closed, it's like a "back pressure" inside the flow field. When it opens, that can cause the upstream flow field to change.

That may also answer why the effect seems to work regardless of the wing they run.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 29 Apr 2023, 22:53, edited 6 times in total.

Vanja #66

AR3-GP wrote: ↑
29 Apr 2023, 22:39
Red Bull has been using a notched rear flap since 2009 more or less. It has featured on every RB built since then.
This is known, what's your point?

#Aerogimli
#BlessYouLaddie

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

29 Apr 2023, 22:41
This is known, what's your point?
I was still drafting my post, sorry.

vorticism

29 Apr 2023, 22:24
More on DRS flaps. From Albert Park:

And Baku:

Last edited by vorticism on 30 Apr 2023, 02:08, edited 1 time in total.
π“„€

vorticism

Baku, motorsport.com:

Floor supports (visible above) look thinner this year.

π“„€

vorticism

π“„€

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

30 Apr 2023, 03:04
It looks like a blown diffuser system :wink: .

There is some similarity of the RB19 diffuser design to the EBD RB5. What I find interesting is how similar the upper diffuser on the RB5 is to the RB19's diffuser. Both are being fed by this mousehole and both have a very rounded outlet corner. The RB19 just lacks the active exhaust blowing. It is instead being fed by the undercut.

Vanja #66

My unsubstantiated theory is that the wing itself is part of the global pressure field and opening it seems to change something upstream that is causing a bigger ovreall drag reduction effect than a drag reduction of the wing itself. When the wing is closed, it's like a "back pressure" inside the flow field. When it opens, that can cause the upstream flow field to change.

That may also answer why the effect seems to work regardless of the wing they run.
The only thing I can see there is the cannon outlet pressure going slightly up, reducing internal drag. However, many other teams use this and they don't have DRS effect as good. So, in my view, it could be just one addition to a number of features that lead to high DRS top speed:

- very low (if not lowest) chassis drag
- high flap camber and angle leading to relatively high drag (and downforce) of rear wing with flap down
- both medium and low-downforce wings feature a low main plane angle for minimal drag with flap up
- possible influence on cannon outlet pressurisation with flap up, leading to lower internal drag
- the best PU with the longest deployment in the field

Since Shub very effectively busted the triple-DRS myth, I'm 110% ceratin it's a number of incremental gains. I still believe the rear wing and especially the flap design is the main driver.

#Aerogimli
#BlessYouLaddie

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

30 Apr 2023, 11:22

The only thing I can see there is the cannon outlet pressure going slightly up, reducing internal drag. However, many other teams use this and they don't have DRS effect as good. So, in my view, it could be just one addition to a number of features that lead to high DRS top speed:

- very low (if not lowest) chassis drag
- high flap camber and angle leading to relatively high drag (and downforce) of rear wing with flap down
- both medium and low-downforce wings feature a low main plane angle for minimal drag with flap up
- possible influence on cannon outlet pressurisation with flap up, leading to lower internal drag
- the best PU with the longest deployment in the field

Since Shub very effectively busted the triple-DRS myth, I'm 110% ceratin it's a number of incremental gains. I still believe the rear wing and especially the flap design is the main driver.
I think these are all good points.

Farnborough
Farnborough

30 Apr 2023, 05:44
30 Apr 2023, 03:04
It looks like a blown diffuser system :wink: .

There is some similarity of the RB19 diffuser design to the EBD RB5. What I find interesting is how similar the upper diffuser on the RB5 is to the RB19's diffuser. Both are being fed by this mousehole and both have a very rounded outlet corner. The RB19 just lacks the active exhaust blowing. It is instead being fed by the undercut.

https://www.formula1-dictionary.net/Ima ... t-wiew.gif

https://www.formula1-dictionary.net/Ima ... r-wiew.gif

https://f1tcdn.net/gallery/var/resizes/ ... 24/025.jpg
I see a similar design focus there to you.

The "pipe" coming along the outside lower edge of RB 19 appears to be energized by the rolling scroll undercut of the sidepod front section, ending in very similar chassis position as original exhaust blowing.

Thought the purpose of that originally is to seal the gap between diffuser outer edge and tyre area to give a soft malleable seal to that section with floor lifted to high rake.
Here it would seem to be doing similar in that area to hold rear stability under full brake attack geometry, facilitating driver confidence during that phase.
Also through the mousehole to mitigate too high an accumulated downforce close off characteristics (highly aggressive exponential accumulated negative pressure) which could be part of the purpoise avoiding performance. In other words, sealing in that diffuser area that is malleable/soft over a very large geometry range and track bump variables. A soft and linear attenuation of ultimate diffuser performance in reality.

Venturiation
Venturiation

rb19 DRS got better by the rule change of the diffuser height, diffuser beam and rear wing working better together for RB19