[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2023 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
beschadigunc

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2023 (Grand Prix Cars)

LVDH wrote:
21 May 2023, 07:38
yinlad wrote:
20 May 2023, 22:24
LVDH wrote:
20 May 2023, 13:26
It was increased quite a bit last year. What additional parts do you have to submit this year? Keep in mind, you do not have to send the supplied files. In fact, I should write a rule about this.
Lower front deflectors, rear winglets and a more complex rear wing based on reg changes. It's ok though I can probably work with the limit it'll just mean more decimated parts which is a shame
I understand, I can have a look into this after the race. With our new cloud, we are not as restricted anymore with file sizes. On the other hand, I am working on a new super cool rendering of the cars. I am now a bit afraid, that too many triangles might slow that down too much.
I also dont do anything special just draw the part and export as STL ascii ( I cant adjust the quality or anything) but still it will be around 190 MB(not including mand_parts) without rar

yinlad

I doubt I'm using an optimal export process to be honest but between freecad and Paraview I find it difficult to get reasonable sized binary STL without absolutely murdering quality
MVRC - Panthera

G-raph

Nice cars so far!

Very tidy and elegant design by Variante, and I'm sure very fast too. Aggressive and innovative sidepod from CAE, that's great to see. And a very nice ramped sidepod with no cooling gills on Max's car, which is quite impressive.

And here is the yellow car :

yinlad

Not too happy or expectant for R01, these sidepods are a one race special, if not only because I accidently saved over the file with something that isn't the sidepods.... haha

Oh there's also a couple of small legality issues I can't fix for the same reason haha

MVRC - Panthera

variante

Very aggressive design choices!
I don't know what's going on with the front wing, but i do know that the top-down radiator intakes are harder to feed. It'll be interesting to see them in action. Also, that's not an airbox winglet, but an airbox sail. Cool.

yinlad wrote:
21 May 2023, 20:31
Not too happy or expectant for R01, these sidepods are a one race special, if not only because I accidently saved over the file with something that isn't the sidepods.... haha

Oh there's also a couple of small legality issues I can't fix for the same reason haha

https://i.imgur.com/jkyOrPy.png
https://i.imgur.com/sLEvE7c.png
https://i.imgur.com/ok8Tldh.png
It looks cleaner tan last year, and i love the little endplates on the rear wing (i guess g-raph also likes them).
And, while i can't see that well, it seems like the diffuser's throat is placed quite rearward. Interesting.

Koldskaal

Here's my car for race 1
Descent improvement compared to last year, very curious to see how it compares.
Cooling should be fine.
MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian

CAEdevice

G-raph wrote:
21 May 2023, 19:22
Nice cars so far!

Very tidy and elegant design by Variante, and I'm sure very fast too. Aggressive and innovative sidepod from CAE, that's great to see. And a very nice ramped sidepod with no cooling gills on Max's car, which is quite impressive.

And here is the yellow car :

https://i.postimg.cc/ZqKYmGmb/launch1.png
https://i.postimg.cc/6Q3KgCVT/launch2.png
https://i.postimg.cc/1XxZ8TkN/launch3.png
I think that (together with Variante) you are a candidate for the win in Monaco: the car looks an improvement of the very good car you reced with in 2022.

I think I will be the only one with a 2021 front wing (except for the airfoil angles), but I admit that the limits of my car come from elsewhere.

CAEdevice

Koldskaal wrote:
21 May 2023, 21:35
Here's my car for race 1
https://i.imgur.com/MtctLtv.png
https://i.imgur.com/B9cxZVD.png
Cooling should be fine.
It looks as a detailed evolution, and you are the champion, so I look with interest to your car.

CAEdevice

I guess it is OK for you all if I go on with the car presentations (using the images you published here) on LinkedIn. Let me know if you prefer to not be mentioned.

(If possible, help me mentioning your team name when you present the new cars).

BlakjeKaas

Amazing to see all these cars popping up today, looks like we will be having a great competition again this year!

I've only been able to create a very primitive design so far, but have some trouble to run it through MFlow.
MFlow states that a build has not been created, but a "runCase.sh" does appear in the map.
I've tried running "runCase" within OpenFOAM, but to be able to make that work I had to change every instance of "mpirun" to "mpiexec" within the runCase-file.
After this, OpenFOAM does seem to do its thing, but it runs into errors during the process.
OpenFOAM crashes after not being able to find a PatchField entry for the RHS heat exchanger, even though both the heat exchanger bodies and heat exchanger planes are in the right corresponding folders:

--> FOAM Warning :
--> FOAM FATAL IO ERROR: (openfoam-2106)
Cannot find patchField entry for none_to_hx_right

I'll try some troubleshooting in the coming weeks, hopefully I will be able to create a working car this season! :)
MVRC: Tulip Racing

yinlad

variante wrote:
21 May 2023, 21:30
Very aggressive design choices!
I don't know what's going on with the front wing, but i do know that the top-down radiator intakes are harder to feed. It'll be interesting to see them in action. Also, that's not an airbox winglet, but an airbox sail. Cool.

yinlad wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/jkyOrPy.png
https://i.imgur.com/sLEvE7c.png
https://i.imgur.com/ok8Tldh.png
It looks cleaner tan last year, and i love the little endplates on the rear wing (i guess g-raph also likes them).
And, while i can't see that well, it seems like the diffuser's throat is placed quite rearward. Interesting.
It's a double kick and rather aggressive at the rear. It's not great, I need to work on pretty much everything again before r02.

I've got good vorticity on the floor but not seeing the levels of suck I need at the rear when looking at CP plots from Silverstone last year.

Lots of testing this pre season on things that were a steps backwards 😞

I'll probably post a fairly detailed breakdown of the car after the r01 results and what/why I plan to change, need to make being stuck at the rear interesting some how haha.

Oh and the car is currently massively over cooled based on my latest simulation results
MVRC - Panthera

Ft5fTL

Here is my 2023 challenger. Mostly same from last season. I could not get the balance right for the first race (cop around 1.65) so i dont expect a top 5 finish for this one.

Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

beschadigunc

Ft5fTL wrote:
21 May 2023, 22:20
Here is my 2023 challenger. Mostly same from last season. I could not get the balance right for the first race (cop around 1.65) so i dont expect a top 5 finish for this one.

great job as always on the surfacing, best of luck this year

G-raph

yinlad wrote:
Yes you need to tidy the sidepods a bit but otherwise it is a nice looking car. And that diffuser and beamwing exit angle is crazy!

variante wrote:
21 May 2023, 21:30
There isn't much going on with the front wing, I've actually simplified it by removing the strake. There is a tangency discontinuity (in front view and plan view) where the regulation box has one, as it was much easier to draw it this way (I'm struggling a bit with multi-sections in FreeCAD and I'm lazy!). But I like how it ended up looking like a spider web so I kept it.

The sidepod inlet is fed with all the crap front the front wing, front suspension and mirror. Which is why when the suspensions got refined at the end, I suddenly ended up overcooled.

Koldskaal wrote:
21 May 2023, 21:35
Here's my car for race 1
Lovely details on the floor! So I'm sure it will be very fast again this year.

CAEdevice wrote:
21 May 2023, 21:56
I guess it is OK for you all if I go on with the car presentations (using the images you published here) on LinkedIn. Let me know if you prefer to not be mentioned.

(If possible, help me mentioning your team name when you present the new cars).
Yes, I'm happy with that. Team name is unchanged : G-Raph Racing.

Ft5fTL wrote:
21 May 2023, 22:20
Surfacing and rendering looks amazing as always! There are still some nice development details all around the car. I like it!

Good luck everyone!