Ferrari SF23

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Vanja #66

Re: Ferrari SF23

Miami floor, redesigned rear wing from 2022 (with single pylon) and completely new high-df beam wing.

And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

f1316

Intrigued to see if there are any further changes on the diffuser. This was originally supposed to come at Imola - even with the inclement forecast - and was rumoured to have shown “excellent” results in the wind tunnel.

gordonthegun

f1316 wrote:
25 May 2023, 15:59
Intrigued to see if there are any further changes on the diffuser. This was originally supposed to come at Imola - even with the inclement forecast - and was rumoured to have shown “excellent” results in the wind tunnel.
I heard what you say too and it confuses me.
A new diffuser (or bulb, I could not understand well) means basically a new floor. The floor had just been upgraded in Miami and should a new one have been ready for the following race (Imola) after 2 weeks?!

In my opinion the new diffuser or similar might be a fake.
Ferrari is very stingy when it comes to updates and we are seeing this with the now mysterious new rear suspension that not even in Monaco is on the car.

ing.

gordonthegun wrote:
25 May 2023, 18:24
f1316 wrote:
A new diffuser (or bulb, I could not understand well) means basically a new floor. The floor had just been upgraded in Miami and should a new one have been ready for the following race (Imola) after 2 weeks?!

Ferrari is very stingy when it comes to updates and we are seeing this with the now mysterious new rear suspension that not even in Monaco is on the car.
Ferrari are always stingy with updates and why I don’t except many more (visible) changes going forward.

They’re now the only ones out there—besides their Haas cousins—not doing a downwash/water-slide pylon, and with the kick-up on the end to boot. Hopefully they change this—it’s doable—but they still have the odd max. section width in the undercut area.

Also, pretty sure they won’t do angled front wishbones—not for anti-dive, because with angled lower wishbones, anti-dive is actually reduced—but for aero downwash ahead of the sidepods.

Anything more than a relatively minor sidepod change at Spain will be a surprise.

f1316

gordonthegun wrote:
25 May 2023, 18:24
f1316 wrote:

Well I guess the good news is that they now have to disclose this stuff, so we will know one way or the other if something has been changed in this area (won’t have to go hunting to confirm).

LM10

The original plan was reported to be a new diffuser and a new rear suspension for Imola and then a new floor for Spain. With Imola being cancelled, the plan changed to bringing the new rear suspension together with the new floor to Spain, but as I understood it they were still planning to introduce the new diffuser in Monaco. The question is how credible the reports were. We'll see.

gordonthegun

In Monaco the rear brake cooling inlet has returned straight, without the small "curl" of the previous races:

Monaco:

Launch spec:

Vanja #66

Strong lateral flow on rear wing top/pressure side. This is why spoons are so popular now, you keep the pressure in the centre and allow it to slowly drop towards the tips, reducing the losses.

And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

FDD
FDD

Vanja #66 wrote:
26 May 2023, 16:50
Strong lateral flow on rear wing top/pressure side. This is why spoons are so popular now, you keep the pressure in the centre and allow it to slowly drop towards the tips, reducing the losses.

https://www.racefans.net/wp-content/upl ... _HiRes.jpg
That was the question that came on my mind before I read the text :D
Thank You

Xyz22

organic

The ice skate, as previously postulated by a user here - present and accounted for

Xwang

"Dear F1 competitors, you are welcome to study our floor and apply any valuable idea (if any) you find to you car. Sincerely yours, Sainz"

organic

Xwang wrote:
26 May 2023, 18:30
"Dear F1 competitors, you are welcome to study our floor and apply any valuable idea (if any) you find to you car. Sincerely yours, Sainz"
Corks can be heard popping in Haas' building at maranello...

Jokes aside, how have they legalized this? There appear to be two separate ice skates and I can't see how they're fixed to the floor body.. they should be attached by 6 metal links which must be separated from one another (which is required if it is the floor edge wing). Is there something tricky going on?
Last edited by organic on 26 May 2023, 18:41, edited 1 time in total.

sucof

The problem is, there is really nothing special here to study.