Wow, mods are one sided

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
DDopey
DDopey

Re: Wow, mods are one sided

dans79 wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 22:17
DDopey wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 22:14
There is more variety and the more technical discussions are returning.
I'm not seeing that at all. For example I can tell you Team X has already shown a none trivial change to their car for this weekend, and the appropriate car thread here has no mention of it.
What is stopping you ?!?!

dans79

DDopey wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 22:19
dans79 wrote:
DDopey wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 22:14
There is more variety and the more technical discussions are returning.
I'm not seeing that at all. For example I can tell you Team X has already shown a none trivial change to their car for this weekend, and the appropriate car thread here has no mention of it.
Because others have taken what has been found and done work to it, to contrast and compare it to previous revisions. The work is posted on a private group, and was not done by me, so it would be inappropriate for me to post it. However I'm sure the mainstream F1 media will point it out tomorrow.
197 104 103 7

ValeVida46

hollus wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 21:37

Just for the record, it is not OK. Daily, it is not OK.
Negative posts daily are not OK and positive posts daily are also not OK. Responding daily to counter the daily negative posts just adds to the problem, as does responding daily to counter systematic positive posts.

My point, the problem is in the DAILY part. That is spam.

Negative posts are welcome... if they are reasonable and justified, add new perspectives, etc. And ideally a tad novel, thanks. and definitively in moderation ;-) Trumpeting "this sucks" systematically just to poison the air should and often does get you warnings and eventually a ban if it repeats. Similarly repetitive positive posts should too, but they are more tolerated for reasons that I hope are obvious.
Now, we are guilty of on occasion (often?) failing to notice the slow, drip, drip, drip repetition sufficiently. Like in the example of a frog inside slowly heating water, the occasional glance might miss it. Maybe we could do a better work, but erring on the side of caution is, partly, by design.
Thanks for the reply Hollus,

As I have said before I'm absolutely cool with criticisms and as you intimate, it's a case of balance.
But this is the problem, it's totally devoid of balance in the Merc thread. It's literally an exercise in mudslinging, be that the car, the management etc etc. On other team threads there is a more amiable and constructive discourse that leads to disagreements, agreements and debate, which is healthy. For example we know Ferrari are shite at strategy, McLaren have had many false dawns, Aston are punching way above their weight. These will draw comments to the reality, and all is fair.

Even the said parties that frequent the Merc thread negatively, do so in other team threads positively. And this is the contentious issue, because it then becomes abundantly clear they occupy that space to sh*t stir.
As a marker of it, my posts are clear mapping of opposition to that incessant negativity.
A great thing about this website is the cumulative data and breaking snapshots or news as it happens in many threads, its easily accessible and can integrate social media and youtube. So when you go to a post and then see negative replies or a story spun negatively it loses any semblance of the usefulness that other team threads enjoy.

Another great thing about this website is that you easily check posts made by certain users, which readily indicates that this is pattern behaviour.
I mean why else would the fan of one team frequent the team thread of the rival team as the most posted topic?

It is a real pertinent question, and of course I'm not calling for draconian measures of censure. I wanted to raise awareness to it, and this has now been done.

DDopey
DDopey

dans79 wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 22:24
DDopey wrote:
dans79 wrote:

Because others have taken what has been found and done work to it, to contrast and compare it to previous revisions. The work is posted on a private group, and was not done by me, so it would be inappropriate for me to post it. However I'm sure the mainstream F1 media will point it out tomorrow.
Ok, but that maybe the reason for others too.

For me, I am just a lurker. I have the ability to understand what is being posted by the technical and aero people, but not to contribute.

organic

dans79 wrote:
DDopey wrote:
dans79 wrote:

What team is it? If this team X upgrade really does exist surely you can mention the name :?

Should it be expected that every change is posted here on Thursday for which many teams often don't fit their upgrades? :lol:

But if you would like to be so negative about the forum you wish to participate in and care about enough to comment in meta threads rather than contribute knowledge that you are privy to, be my guest

dans79

DDopey wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 22:35
I asked the creator if I could post it here and he agreed.
viewtopic.php?p=1137424#p1137424

The person who did the work is a member here, and some will know who did the work, and know that he has done it for a number of other teams over the years. Myself and others who also contributed to finding better imagery for comparison purposes are all members here. All of us still post every now and then, but not like we used to.

One of the reasons I don't post nearly as often as I used to, is because many of the people I conversated with publicly and privately left. An RB fan I used to talk with regularly was one of them. We did not often agree, but we were respectful with each other. We had very similar views on what should be tolerated here and what shouldn't.
197 104 103 7

organic

dans79 wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 23:15
DDopey wrote:
and the appropriate car thread here has no mention of it.
The engine cover change was mentioned/discussed in the car thread when it was seen at Monaco fp2 and again when it was photographed in the pitlane earlier today.

For instance this post
Matt2725 wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 18:28
cplchanb wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 18:25
Matt2725 wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 18:23
They ran that cover in FP2 in Monaco on at least Hamilton's car. Didn't use it in the race however IIRC.
Is this an overall aero upgrade or just to address local climate conditions?
A bit of both probably, although there are decent changes at the cannon exits which will change the behaviour of the airflow towards the rear.

Comparison here from Monaco
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FxFMxQ9WIAE ... =4096x4096
So let's not misrepresent reality for the sake of an argument

dans79

organic wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 23:21
dans79 wrote:
DDopey wrote:
The engine cover change was mentioned/discussed in the car thread when it was seen at Monaco fp2 and again when it was photographed in the pitlane earlier today.
I'm not done posting yet.
197 104 103 7

organic

dans79 wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 23:22
organic wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 23:21
dans79 wrote:

I'm not done posting yet.
Ok.. I don't see the need to be so obtuse about everything. I think your point could be far more easily made:

Some of the site's most valuable members no longer contribute here; it would be brilliant if they did. Do you see or can you think of any changes that would work towards making those who are disenfranchised feel welcome again?

Otherwise this is just an exercise in doom and glooming. It's a good thing to be constructive, let's work on achieving something?

dans79

organic wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 23:27
Some of the site's most valuable members no longer contribute here; it would be brilliant if they did. Do you see or can you think of any changes that would work towards making those who are disenfranchised feel welcome again?
I already posted about that here.
viewtopic.php?p=1137395#p1137395
197 104 103 7

McG

And Steven has deleted my reply to him already with the message "Post deleted" 😂 Childish. Also Hollus you haven't replied to my PM.

If the mods can't respond to an argument privately the and owner can't argue publicly then what hope do the rest of us have?
F1 is dead.

hollus

I replied by PM to your original PM and Steven replied here to your first post here. More than enough, really.
Rivals, not enemies.

ValeVida46

organic wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 22:39
dans79 wrote:
DDopey wrote:

What team is it? If this team X upgrade really does exist surely you can mention the name :?

Should it be expected that every change is posted here on Thursday for which many teams often don't fit their upgrades? :lol:

But if you would like to be so negative about the forum you wish to participate in and care about enough to comment in meta threads rather than contribute knowledge that you are privy to, be my guest
Surely by seeking permission to post a picture that had work done to it, is good practice and not negative. Why would it be construed as negative? Especially as Dan said, the person that did the work used to frequent the forum.

vorticism

Hollus, where is the post you deleted? You're abusing your mod privileges again (again). You sent me another PM where you conflate criticism of you with "abuse." Receipt below. It was simply asked: "How can quote posting users be considered secretive when they get notifications, and why would such an odd statement be used as a pretext for a ban?"

That's not abuse, hollus, that's a simple question about your practices here i.e. making up rules to suit your goals. As for actual abuse, I await your next expletive and exclamation laden DM.

Readers can note this is how he games his mod privileges. I am now at 1 warning with that last post, presumably this post will put me at 2. Neither of these posts contravened the rules, hollus simply uses them as fake infractions in order to rack up warnings to get to a ban.

𓄀

chrisc90

Found similar the other week…. Which led to a length discussion with the mod team - whether those views ended up being collective or sole opinion I don’t know.
I just know that your definitions not the only one and it essentially boiled down to not having a native language of English and one does all the ‘heavy work’ and takes no bull in the posts.
The normal members are at the mercy of how the team works and their views.

A lot of more established members will eventually vote with their feet. When those people post less or move elsewhere - the only loss becomes the website and forum itself.

Without members - no forum content. No content - watch it drop down the rankings in google - less people - less revenue you have incoming from adverts etc. viscous cycle.