2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

When the driver goes off-the-throttle-pedal the engine throttles are closed, as soon as the throttles to each cylinder are closed the pistons inside those cylinders cannot pump anything out of the exhaust valve as they cannot breathe any air. When pistons cannot breathe any air, and have nothing to push into the turbine, the turbine is as good as useless in regards powering/rotating the MGU-H, which when switched into recovery itself needs power so as to harvest/recover. It will be acting like a brake with the turbine having no power to overtake that brake effect.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Cold and hot blowing the diffuser practices before the hybrid era was possible by being able to opening the ICE throttles when driver goes off-throttle as there was no rules stating the relationship between ICE throttles and throttle pedal. Opening the ICE throttles when driver goes off-throttle permitted the pistons to breath air and so being able to blow through exhaust valves. The prime protest at the time that the FIA wanted to put a stop on the practice of opening the ICE throttles when the drover goes off-throttle was valve cooling problems will be encountered. In this turbocharged hybrid ere with the rules governing the relationship between ICE throttles and throttle pedal, When driver goes off-throttle and ICE throttles are closed, what pressure the compressor was pumping into the ICE intake will drastically shoot-up, and as the F1 waste-gate does not control this compressor build-up pressure, the system makes use of both the compressor intake throttling device and the blow-off valve.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

saviour stivala wrote:
21 Jun 2023, 13:23
... the MGU-H, which when switched into recovery itself needs power so as to harvest/recover....
it doesn't 'need power' to harvest/recover

it's a mass rotating at c.120000rpm
stored rotational kinetic energy (when transferred by rpm deceleration due to generator load) 'powers' the generation

this is/was of course the same mechanism as for generation by 'extra harvest'
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 21 Jun 2023, 15:22, edited 2 times in total.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

saviour stivala wrote:
When the driver goes off-the-throttle-pedal the engine throttles are closed, as soon as the throttles to each cylinder are closed the pistons inside those cylinders cannot pump anything out of the exhaust valve as they cannot breathe any air. When pistons cannot breathe any air, and have nothing to push into the turbine, the turbine is as good as useless in regards powering/rotating the MGU-H, which when switched into recovery itself needs power so as to harvest/recover. It will be acting like a brake with the turbine having no power to overtake that brake effect.
The throttle isn't entirely closed when the throttle isn't pressed. If it was, the engine would stall for a lack of any oxygen to burn. Thus, cold pumping still happens.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

moved to engine thread.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Jun 2023, 15:18
saviour stivala wrote:
The throttle isn't entirely closed when the throttle isn't pressed. If it was, the engine would stall for a lack of any oxygen to burn. Thus, cold pumping still happens.
Not only are the ICE throttles closed when driver goes off-throttle, but also fuel is cut-off to engine. The engine will not stall even if driver does not go back on throttle as engine mapping will retain engine at idle speed when RPM drops down to idle RPM.

Mr.S
Mr.S

Great job, upgrades have worked. But Mercedes & Ferrari have made a big jump too & have similar pace. Apparently Mercedes have a big upgrade package for Silverstone, possibly Ferrari too.

Let's hope the Britain upgrade is a big one & worth 2-3 tenths+ because they will need it. Good thing is gap to RB was non-existent/1 tenth odd in Canada. Maybe in Austria or Silverstone will be 2-3 tenths off, but the 5-7 tenths gap is gone. Now RB could bring upgrades & could move up & so could Ferrari/Mercedes so Britain package would be key. I am assuming Austria Dry Running will help Aston optimize the package further interms of setup.

The comments from AMUS look positive & Alonso was very over-confident "Crush them", "No race without podium" etc. That can only happen if Aston has the pace to match RB otherwise Alonso looks like a fool making those predictions. So, I assume their sim data, optimizing set-up & Silverstone upgrades give them a lot of confidence. Hungary/Singapore could be good circuits for a win if Aston can keep the gap to 1-2-3 tenths on an average to RB !

KimiRai
KimiRai

Mr.S wrote:
21 Jun 2023, 19:08
Great job, upgrades have worked. But Mercedes & Ferrari have made a big jump too & have similar pace. Apparently Mercedes have a big upgrade package for Silverstone, possibly Ferrari too.

Let's hope the Britain upgrade is a big one & worth 2-3 tenths+ because they will need it. Good thing is gap to RB was non-existent/1 tenth odd in Canada. Maybe in Austria or Silverstone will be 2-3 tenths off, but the 5-7 tenths gap is gone. Now RB could bring upgrades & could move up & so could Ferrari/Mercedes so Britain package would be key. I am assuming Austria Dry Running will help Aston optimize the package further interms of setup.

The comments from AMUS look positive & Alonso was very over-confident "Crush them", "No race without podium" etc. That can only happen if Aston has the pace to match RB otherwise Alonso looks like a fool making those predictions. So, I assume their sim data, optimizing set-up & Silverstone upgrades give them a lot of confidence. Hungary/Singapore could be good circuits for a win if Aston can keep the gap to 1-2-3 tenths on an average to RB !
Nugnes said Ferrari will bring a new floor to Austria and they will increase development pace until Belgium.

Bisonas

IMO in Austria AMR on paper will a have a strong S1, while S2 and S3 will show us how the upgrades actually affected some of the cars previous (let's say) weaknesses.
If S2 is really strong and close to RBR and Mercedes , updates are working like a charm. If S3 is also strong and close to RBR then don't wake me up. Let me live the dream..

diffuser

saviour stivala wrote:
You mean valves to each cylinder?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Bisonas wrote:
22 Jun 2023, 00:24
IMO in Austria AMR on paper will a have a strong S1, while S2 and S3 will show us how the upgrades actually affected some of the cars previous (let's say) weaknesses.
If S2 is really strong and close to RBR and Mercedes , updates are working like a charm. If S3 is also strong and close to RBR then don't wake me up. Let me live the dream..
I'm curious about the high speed corners as well. Fundamentally I don't understand why the car previously has struggled in them.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

diffuser wrote:
22 Jun 2023, 01:41
saviour stivala wrote:
You mean valves to each cylinder?
If you mean 'engine intake/exhaust valves' no. When the throttle "buterfly valve" which is the final intake to cylinder is closed, that cylinder cannot pump anything out of it. No breathing no pumping. No pumping into turbine, turbine is as good as useless. Also, the sudden build-up of compressor pressure when driver goes off-throttle cannot get inside cylinders when cylinder throttle is closed.

Zynerji

AR3-GP wrote:
22 Jun 2023, 01:43
Bisonas wrote:
I'm curious about the high speed corners as well. Fundamentally I don't understand why the car previously has struggled in them.
I think their rear end aero was just weak in yaw condition. They seemed to have fixed a good bit of that in Canada.

peewon

Im not as convinced as to how well their upgrades performed. Max had bird stuck in his break duct for the whole race and it still wasn't close, AM's own fuel problems not withstanding. I think Merc is better on front limited circuits now and fairly close on even traction heavy circuits like Villeneuve. Merc also has a big upgrade coming to Silverstone and their upgrades seem to be targetting what I feel is the key to all round performance which is a stable platform. Both RB and recently Merc have focused heavily on suspension work.

AM also has one of the worst strategy tems on the grid. One lap too late in Q2 to pit to slicks, even though Verstappen and RB did that while running ahead of them. Why not just copy the team that knows what it's doing even when ure not sure.

Bisonas

Zynerji wrote:
22 Jun 2023, 06:07
AR3-GP wrote:
22 Jun 2023, 01:43
Bisonas wrote:
I think their rear end aero was just weak in yaw condition. They seemed to have fixed a good bit of that in Canada.
Yes, i do agree that there where probably some weakness in yaw condition along with some general aero efficiency shortcomings (compared to RBR) of the old package. That's why IMO S2 and S3 in Austria will give us a better picture (with more time to analyze data from Canada and fine tune the upgrades) of the progress on both yaw behavior and overall aero efficiency.