2022 budget cap violations

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Cs98
Cs98

Re: 2022 budget cap violations

SiLo wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 14:59
chrisc90 wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 12:13
SiLo wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 12:06
Wouldnt surprise me if it was mostly UK based teams because of inflation, energy and shipping costs etc.
Everyone except Ferrari then? :lol:
Aren't AT based in Faenza?

Considering Toto is a finance guy, it would surprise me if Mercedes breach the cap. Aston and McLaren would be my guesses.
Because "finance guys" never commit accounting fraud... :lol:

Nah, but seriously, doubt it's Merc too.
Last edited by Cs98 on 19 Jul 2023, 15:20, edited 1 time in total.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Willy wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 14:55
Just_a_fan wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 14:30
Wouter wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 14:17

:shock: I would say disqualify them for ever!! :roll:
I think he's being facetious. :lol:

However, would you agree that breaching the cost cap two years in a row, especially when the team doing it is significantly quicker than all the others (which might be because they breached the cost cap), needs something more than just a light slap on the wrists? A fine of a few million dollars sounds a lot to you and me but to a rich team it's small change.

A meaningful penalty is required or the cost cap should just be forgotten about and we go back to "spend what you can afford".
Red Bull is doing well because of cost cap breach is nonsense. There is no doubt they did a better job than others.

I am sure you wouldn't agree for a stronger punishment for Lewis in Silverstone 2021 for causing massive damage to Max's car, beyond what the governing framework rules that doesn't take into account the effect, but just the cause. But then Lewis' error forced loss of components and subsequent penalty for Max of using extra engine. If effect is not considered then, why in case of cost cap breach?
Other teams made comment about how the amount RBR overspent would bring significant upgrades during a season. Not unreasonable to assume that spending it upfront would give a head start.

But, true, RBR did do a better job however they managed it.

Well, Silverstone was avoidable by either driver so it's an odd example. But assuming, as you appear to, that it was all Lewis's fault, I would have expected him to have been given a harsher penalty if he'd done the same thing at the next race.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Cs98
Cs98

rbirules wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 15:18
Here's an estimate of repair costs for 2022 by driver and team done by somebody on reddit. I don't expect the values to be precisely correct but they use a standard cost per part and apply it to all repairs, so it should give us a rough estimate.

https://i.redd.it/world-destructor-cham ... 064872266d

2022 estimated team repair costs:
Williams - $4.7M
Haas - $4.5M
Aston Martin - $4.3M
Ferrari - $4.1M
Mercedes - $4.0M
Alpine - $3.5M
Alfa Romeo - $3.4M
Alpha Tauri - $2.5M
Red Bull - $1.6M
McLaren - $1.5M

AM, Merc, and Ferrari are all around $2.5M more than RB, Alpine is about $2.0M more than RB. McLaren right in line with RB. If inflation ate up a lot of the buffer teams had in their budget maybe higher repair costs could put them over the limit?

Just another thing to consider along with upgrades that were brought during the 2022 season.
You have it for 2021 too? Just to compare and contrast.

Sieper

Just_a_fan wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 15:19
Willy wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

However, would you agree that breaching the cost cap two years in a row, especially when the team doing it is significantly quicker than all the others (which might be because they breached the cost cap), needs something more than just a light slap on the wrists? A fine of a few million dollars sounds a lot to you and me but to a rich team it's small change.

A meaningful penalty is required or the cost cap should just be forgotten about and we go back to "spend what you can afford".
Red Bull is doing well because of cost cap breach is nonsense. There is no doubt they did a better job than others.

I am sure you wouldn't agree for a stronger punishment for Lewis in Silverstone 2021 for causing massive damage to Max's car, beyond what the governing framework rules that doesn't take into account the effect, but just the cause. But then Lewis' error forced loss of components and subsequent penalty for Max of using extra engine. If effect is not considered then, why in case of cost cap breach?
Other teams made comment about how the amount RBR overspent would bring significant upgrades during a season. Not unreasonable to assume that spending it upfront would give a head start.

Well, Silverstone was avoidable by either driver so it's an odd example. But assuming, as you appear to, that it was all Lewis's fault, I would have expected him to have been given a harsher penalty if he'd done the same thing at the next race.
No. That was Bottas.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Wouter wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 14:57
Just_a_fan wrote:
Wouter wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 14:17
:shock: I would say disqualify them for ever!! :roll:

Now that I read it again I think @Willy is indeed being sarcastic. Stupid me.
I will not argue with you about the BC because I know how you as a Mercedes/Lewis fan feel about RBR and their violation of the BC.
"... a light slap on the wrists." and ".... especially when the team doing it is significantly quicker than all the others (which might be because they breached the cost cap)."
Ignore assumed team loyalties. Should any team that repeatedly overspends on the budget cap be given a larger penalty for subsequent breaches? Or should the same punishment be given to them each time?

Would a repeated punishment help to enforce the cap or would it lead to rich teams all breaching the cap by similar amounts every year because they could afford the small fine issued?

When one looks at the wider world, one sees a general principle in law that repeat offenders get treated more harshly than first time offenders. Should that principle apply to F1?

Cs98
Cs98

Cs98 wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 15:21
rbirules wrote:
Here's an estimate of repair costs for 2022 by driver and team done by somebody on reddit. I don't expect the values to be precisely correct but they use a standard cost per part and apply it to all repairs, so it should give us a rough estimate.

Williams - $4.7M
Haas - $4.5M
Aston Martin - $4.3M
Ferrari - $4.1M
Mercedes - $4.0M
Alpine - $3.5M
Alfa Romeo - $3.4M
Alpha Tauri - $2.5M
Red Bull - $1.6M
McLaren - $1.5M

AM, Merc, and Ferrari are all around $2.5M more than RB, Alpine is about $2.0M more than RB. McLaren right in line with RB. If inflation ate up a lot of the buffer teams had in their budget maybe higher repair costs could put them over the limit?

Just another thing to consider along with upgrades that were brought during the 2022 season.
https://i.redd.it/1p3q3j6fdb581.png
Last edited by Cs98 on 19 Jul 2023, 15:29, edited 1 time in total.

Big Tea

Just_a_fan wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 15:24
Wouter wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

I will not argue with you about the BC because I know how you as a Mercedes/Lewis fan feel about RBR and their violation of the BC.
"... a light slap on the wrists." and ".... especially when the team doing it is significantly quicker than all the others (which might be because they breached the cost cap)."
Ignore assumed team loyalties. Should any team that repeatedly overspends on the budget cap be given a larger penalty for subsequent breaches? Or should the same punishment be given to them each time?

Would a repeated punishment help to enforce the cap or would it lead to rich teams all breaching the cap by similar amounts every year because they could afford the small fine issued?

When one looks at the wider world, one sees a general principle in law that repeat offenders get treated more harshly than first time offenders. Should that principle apply to F1?
To be effective, the 'fine' would need to come out of the cost cap so that it becomes compounded damage as well as compounded advantage.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Sieper wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 15:23
Just_a_fan wrote:
Willy wrote:

No. That was Bottas.
When did Bottas hit Verstappen? I think you'll find it was Norris that hit Verstappen... :wink: :lol:

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Big Tea wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 15:29
Just_a_fan wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 15:24
Wouter wrote:

To be effective, the 'fine' would need to come out of the cost cap so that it becomes compounded damage as well as compounded advantage.
Yes, excellent point. Any fine that doesn't affect the team's ability to develop the car is pointless.

rbirules
rbirules

Cs98 wrote:
rbirules wrote:

Williams - $4.7M
Haas - $4.5M
Aston Martin - $4.3M
Ferrari - $4.1M
Mercedes - $4.0M
Alpine - $3.5M
Alfa Romeo - $3.4M
Alpha Tauri - $2.5M
Red Bull - $1.6M
McLaren - $1.5M

Here you go . . .

2021 estimated team repair costs:
Haas - $7.7M
Ferrari - $6.6M
Williams - $5.6M
Red Bull - $5.5M
Mercedes - $4.7M
Alpha Tauri - $4.5M
Aston Martin - $4.0M
Alfa Romeo - $3.3M
McLaren - $2.7M
Alpine - $0.9M

RB $4M less, Merc $0.7M less, Ferrari $2.5M less, AM $0.3M more, Alpine $2.6M more, McLaren $1.2M less.

chrisc90

Just_a_fan wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 15:31
Sieper wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

No. That was Bottas.
When did Bottas hit Verstappen? I think you'll find it was Norris that hit Verstappen... :wink: :lol:
Didn’t bottas go bowling with the red bulls in Hungary? Wiped them both out.

Either way - pointless having the 2021 debate in terms of crashes/ what cost etc or who’s fault it was. No relevance here for the 2022 discussion.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Cs98 wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 15:28
Cs98 wrote:
rbirules wrote:

Williams - $4.7M
Haas - $4.5M
Aston Martin - $4.3M
Ferrari - $4.1M
Mercedes - $4.0M
Alpine - $3.5M
Alfa Romeo - $3.4M
Alpha Tauri - $2.5M
Red Bull - $1.6M
McLaren - $1.5M

In 2021, Mercedes didn't take part in a tyre test because the cost of the Bottas / Russell accident was so high that even with the allowance made to the teams for the test, Mercedes were worried about going over the cap.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

chrisc90 wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 15:34
Just_a_fan wrote:
Sieper wrote:

No. That was Bottas.

Either way - pointless having the 2021 debate in terms of crashes/ what cost etc or who’s fault it was. No relevance here for the 2022 discussion.
He hit Norris and then Perez. Norris hit Verstappen. Bottas put his hand up and apologised for messing up so many people's races.

But yes, agreed, the crashes of '21 aren't relevant to the '22 cap debate (unless they happened late enough in the year to affect the 22 car's delivery, suppose. Did any?)

Sieper

Just_a_fan wrote:
Sieper wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

No. That was Bottas.
Nice save :D

Cs98
Cs98

Just_a_fan wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 15:36
chrisc90 wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 15:34
Just_a_fan wrote:

He hit Norris and then Perez. Norris hit Verstappen. Bottas put his hand up and apologised for messing up so many people's races.

But yes, agreed, the crashes of '21 aren't relevant to the '22 cap debate (unless they happened late enough in the year to affect the 22 car's delivery, suppose. Did any?)
They are only relevant for measuring crash damage relative to 22.