2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
billamend
billamend

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Seerix wrote:
17 Aug 2023, 13:44
I was looking at this picture from 2022
Interesting the difference :)

EDIT: I went back to last year's onboards and, although Norris never drops to 2nd gear, on turn 12 he goes below 100mkh. To me, 9-12 are all lowish speed corners, specially 12.

djos

More work needed according to lando.

https://apple.news/AyR2ha5V6S26wxsyWA_TkUQ
Despite these highly impressive gains though, Norris feels McLaren still have work to do to change the fact that “we’re one of the slowest cars in the slow-speed corners”, something which he feels has held McLaren back since he debuted with the team in 2019.

It’s just an area that’s been bad for us over the last five years that we’ve not really tackled that well,” he continued, as per Motorsport.com.

“And at no point have we gone, ‘wow, the slow-speed’s strong, now let’s work on the high-speed.’

“It’s always been good in high-speed, poor in slow-speed. But as a general point with these tyres, just how you have to drive them, it’s very difficult to combine. They only like to go almost in a straight line at any point, they don’t like to corner.
Last edited by djos on 19 Aug 2023, 03:32, edited 1 time in total.
"In downforce we trust"

organic

Seerix wrote:
17 Aug 2023, 13:44
I was looking at this picture from 2022
https://www.piston.my/wp-content/upload ... DVOORT.jpg
I think those Mercedes track maps are drawn up by an intern. Did some comparisons back in 2021 and IIRC they tend to not match up with what is seen in the race weekend at all (in terms of minimum speeds, gears) :P

the EDGE
the EDGE

djos wrote:
19 Aug 2023, 02:43

Despite these highly impressive gains though, Norris feels McLaren still have work to do to change the fact that “we’re one of the slowest cars in the slow-speed corners”, something which he feels has held McLaren back since he debuted with the team in 2019.

It’s just an area that’s been bad for us over the last five years that we’ve not really tackled that well,” he continued, as per Motorsport.com.

“And at no point have we gone, ‘wow, the slow-speed’s strong, now let’s work on the high-speed.’

“It’s always been good in high-speed, poor in slow-speed. But as a general point with these tyres, just how you have to drive them, it’s very difficult to combine. They only like to go almost in a straight line at any point, they don’t like to corner.
So who takes the lead on this? Prodromou, Sanchez or Marshall?

Hopefully they work as 1 big super-brain, their dynamic relationship is going to critical to the success of this new structure

djos

the EDGE wrote:
19 Aug 2023, 13:03
djos wrote:

Hopefully they work as 1 big super-brain, their dynamic relationship is going to critical to the success of this new structure
Isn’t Marshall the new chassis guru? Low speed corners are likely more mechanical grip than aero grip I’d have thought.
"In downforce we trust"

the EDGE
the EDGE

djos wrote:
19 Aug 2023, 13:10
the EDGE wrote:
19 Aug 2023, 13:03
djos wrote:

Isn’t Marshall the new chassis guru? Low speed corners are likely more mechanical grip than aero grip I’d have thought.
from the article...
“I guess it’s aerodynamics, we still have a focus of it,” said Norris when pressed on potential fixes. “But at the same time it’s a handling characteristic, which I would say is not all to do with aerodynamics. Even though aerodynamics is the easiest to just add load to, and it’s an easy way of just bringing absolute performance.

“I think even if we say we had the same load as a Red Bull in slow-speed, I don’t think we have the right balance of car in slow-speed, which I think is also a limitation for us.

“I don’t think it’s just about looking at aerodynamically how we perform, but also mechanically and tying everything together and coming up with little tricks and things that some other teams have, to accelerate low-speed performance.”
So according to Lando they need to make improvements to both Aero & Chassis

Sanchez will join as technical director of car concept and performance, Marshal as Technical Director, Engineering & Design, & of course Prodromou as as Technical Director, Aerodynamics

Its a little confusing to me... as I would have though car concept and performance (David's role) was designing the car chassis, and then Rob's role would be to build the car (engineering), but his title also includes design!

But then where does that leave Peter's role, as he must play a key role in the design of Aero surfaces, which really needs to lead the chassis concept. Hence why I said they need to work as one.

thoughts...?

djos

Yeah I’m not entirely what that all means either. I guess it’ll become clearer over time.
"In downforce we trust"

homercircle
homercircle

Sanchez will join as technical director of car concept and performance, Marshal as Technical Director, Engineering & Design, & of course Prodromou as as Technical Director, Aerodynamics

Its a little confusing to me... as I would have though car concept and performance (David's role) was designing the car chassis, and then Rob's role would be to build the car (engineering), but his title also includes design!

But then where does that leave Peter's role, as he must play a key role in the design of Aero surfaces, which really needs to lead the chassis concept. Hence why I said they need to work as one.

thoughts...?
I think Marshal is tasked with final design and production of the concepts developed by Sanchez and Prodromou.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

It's amusing to see an organization play the alphabet soup game to manage the egos of their staff. What's next? The technical director of tea time? :lol:

djos

AR3-GP wrote:
20 Aug 2023, 00:48

It's amusing to see an organization play the alphabet soup game to manage the egos of their staff. What's next? The technical director of tea time? :lol:
Heck, I'd be up for that! :D
"In downforce we trust"

mclaren111

djos wrote:
20 Aug 2023, 00:53
AR3-GP wrote:
20 Aug 2023, 00:48

Heck, I'd be up for that! :D
Me, me, me ... :D :D

CjC
CjC

Just a fan's point of view

the EDGE
the EDGE

homercircle wrote:
19 Aug 2023, 22:46

thoughts...?
I think Marshal is tasked with final design and production of the concepts developed by Sanchez and Prodromou.
Yes, that's basically how I see it, so going to back to the original question about who's responsibility it is to correct the low-speed handling characteristics, Peter & David will design the Aero/Chassis to achieve the characteristics they desire, and Rob will design the mechanical components to achieve what they want?

mclaren111

the EDGE wrote:
20 Aug 2023, 12:53
homercircle wrote:

thoughts...?
Yes, that's basically how I see it, so going to back to the original question about who's responsibility it is to correct the low-speed handling characteristics, Peter & David will design the Aero/Chassis to achieve the characteristics they desire, and Rob will design the mechanical components to achieve what they want?

What do you mean by Chassis ? I assume it is Tub & Suspension ?

the EDGE
the EDGE

mclaren111 wrote:
20 Aug 2023, 15:14
the EDGE wrote:
20 Aug 2023, 12:53
homercircle wrote:

What do you mean by Chassis ? I assume it is Tub & Suspension ?
Yes that's correct

Both Peter & David are 'Aero' guys, They set out what they need in terms of layout, wheelbase, cockpit position, external suspension positioning, suspension characteristics, exhaust exit, cooling/pu element layout etc. etc., And Rob designs & builds it