How important is math knowledge in F1 engineering?

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
coaster

Re: How important is math knowledge in F1 engineering?

Its pretty important, in 2011 I had job interview at Cosworth in Northampton.
I was focussed on wanting to be in f1, the interviewer counselled me with this "we are looking to find cnc operators to machine engine blocks for the mclaren road car"
"Our f1 program is staffed by our engineering interns and not open to normal machine operators".
Sooo, to press a green button on an f1 part being made requires a degree, even though they are hugely overskilled for that role, thats how it goes, learn good math, get a degree, be accepted into the f1 program.

mzivtins
mzivtins

coaster wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:57 am
Its pretty important, in 2011 I had job interview at Cosworth in Northampton.
I was focussed on wanting to be in f1, the interviewer counselled me with this "we are looking to find cnc operators to machine engine blocks for the mclaren road car"
"Our f1 program is staffed by our engineering interns and not open to normal machine operators".
Sooo, to press a green button on an f1 part being made requires a degree, even though they are hugely overskilled for that role, thats how it goes, learn good math, get a degree, be accepted into the f1 program.
Thats not what the difference is:

In machine work, with CNC, on tested and delivered technology such as a road car component, the CNC operator must understand the tooling, and machine operation.

When you have CNC to create tooling of parts from design you expect the engineers to establish project wide features.

A good example is one engineer may create a calculation within design software for everyone to use. This may be something like tortional strength calculation that can then be applied and calculated in realtime in design software (specific to a material).

For parts that are just produced, all that has been taken car of already by and engineer and locked in as an agreed spec (Road cars).

No CNC operator in F1 just presses a button and watches a machine.

coaster

mzivtins i totally agree with you on a fundamental basis, but the interviewer was explaining company policy.
F1 can cherry pick talent, alot of people could design like newey, but only 10 people get that chance.
Many overskilled people are 'waiting in the wings' doing lesser roles, its just so competitive and its the nature of the game that is F1.