Moving F1-Staff

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ralphster7
ralphster7
0
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:07 pm

Re: Moving F1-Staff

Post

Another shake-up at Alpine
Matt Harman Technical Director -> RESIGNED
Dirk De Beer Head of Aero -> RESIGNED
New Technical Structure
Ciaron Pilbeam (Head of Track Engineering) -> TD PERFORMANCE
David Wheater (Principal Aerodynamicist) -> TD AERO
Joe Burnell (??) -> TD ENGINEERING

ralphster7
ralphster7
0
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:07 pm

Re: Moving F1-Staff

Post

A staff move I missed. John Ingle: Head of Dyno Mercedes -> Head of R&D, Test and Assembley Williams.

KimiRai
KimiRai
223
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:08 pm

Re: Moving F1-Staff

Post

Bob Bell, Alpine consultant -> Aston Martin Executive Director - Technical

gshevlin
gshevlin
5
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:33 pm

Re: Moving F1-Staff

Post

Another senior leader flees the Alpine ----show.
I have to assume that he jumped immediately because, as a consultant, he did not have to work a notice period or gardening leave.

mclaren_mircea
mclaren_mircea
0
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:16 pm

Re: Moving F1-Staff

Post

What is wrong with Mercedes? #-o So many senior engineers left in the last 1,5 years... waht could the do? Aston Martin and Ferrari are recruiting so strongly and no senior engineer from a top team is coming to them... What is Totto doing? I know you cant stop them from leavin but how Vasseur and Stroll are taking all this engineers from other team like in a eastern Europe market? Why nobody from Ferrari or Red Bull to Mercedes? I know that I can be biased because I love Mercedes but it its so annoying... Give them money and take the best to Brakley... Loic Serra is gone... Elliot is Gone... others too.. and all what we got is that they stoped in time Allison to Aston Martin. Im super gutted.

User avatar
diffuser
224
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:55 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: Moving F1-Staff

Post

mclaren_mircea wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:05 pm
What is wrong with Mercedes? #-o So many senior engineers left in the last 1,5 years... waht could the do? Aston Martin and Ferrari are recruiting so strongly and no senior engineer from a top team is coming to them... What is Totto doing? I know you cant stop them from leavin but how Vasseur and Stroll are taking all this engineers from other team like in a eastern Europe market? Why nobody from Ferrari or Red Bull to Mercedes? I know that I can be biased because I love Mercedes but it its so annoying... Give them money and take the best to Brakley... Loic Serra is gone... Elliot is Gone... others too.. and all what we got is that they stoped in time Allison to Aston Martin. Im super gutted.
Don't forget. Totto has home field advantage. He know's from personal experience and reviews who the best Engineers are. Who to hang onto and who to let leave.

mclaren_mircea
mclaren_mircea
0
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:16 pm

Re: Moving F1-Staff

Post

diffuser wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:52 pm
mclaren_mircea wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:05 pm
What is wrong with Mercedes? #-o So many senior engineers left in the last 1,5 years... waht could the do? Aston Martin and Ferrari are recruiting so strongly and no senior engineer from a top team is coming to them... What is Totto doing? I know you cant stop them from leavin but how Vasseur and Stroll are taking all this engineers from other team like in a eastern Europe market? Why nobody from Ferrari or Red Bull to Mercedes? I know that I can be biased because I love Mercedes but it its so annoying... Give them money and take the best to Brakley... Loic Serra is gone... Elliot is Gone... others too.. and all what we got is that they stoped in time Allison to Aston Martin. Im super gutted.
Don't forget. Totto has home field advantage. He know's from personal experience and reviews who the best Engineers are. Who to hang onto and who to let leave.
Vasseur said that you have to recruit strongly to have the best engineers even if they are from other teams. I dont have to much faith in graduates or young engineers... Red Bull know one thing and for good: hang on on your best engineers. No matter that they are born in the 50' or 60'. You have to replace them with good people if you want to remain on top. I dont think that Ferrari are wrong. They too have a big organisation but good people are still coming from other teams. Why Ferrari is trying so har to get Wache and Mercedes so quiet? The man has to get so much valuble information from inhouse. He must have know every secret from Neweys brain. Mercedes built a strong engineering team when they poached Costa, Lowe, Willis, Bob Bell, Phil Prewh, Allison. And all of them are gone now despite the fact that all of them are younger than Newey. They are moaning that they are lost for the third year but they wont get to far with some young engineer from Williams or Sauber. You need the best. No matter how much costs.

gshevlin
gshevlin
5
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:33 pm

Re: Moving F1-Staff

Post

The progressive application of the cost cap is resulting in a move of engineers from the best funded teams to the less funded teams. Teams like Mercedes were spending more money on staff than allowed by the cost cap, so they have been letting some staff go. If they end up at a Mercedes- supplied team, that would be the best outcome.

maygun
maygun
3
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:31 pm

Re: Moving F1-Staff

Post

gshevlin wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:20 pm
The progressive application of the cost cap is resulting in a move of engineers from the best funded teams to the less funded teams. Teams like Mercedes were spending more money on staff than allowed by the cost cap, so they have been letting some staff go. If they end up at a Mercedes- supplied team, that would be the best outcome.
This does make sense to some extent. RB, Ferrari and Mercedes were spending probably around the same amount before the cost cap. While Mercedes lost a lot of their big names to other teams, RB and Ferrari did not. Either RB and Ferrari found better loopholes to keep their staff, or Merc does not care anymore to be in the top game. Whenever I check career websites for the teams Merc has none to few openings while RB and Ferrari have positions listed all the time.

Sevach
Sevach
1061
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:00 pm

Re: Moving F1-Staff

Post

mclaren_mircea wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:16 pm
Mercedes built a strong engineering team when they poached Costa, Lowe, Willis, Bob Bell, Phil Prewh, Allison. And all of them are gone now despite the fact that all of them are younger than Newey. They are moaning that they are lost for the third year but they wont get to far with some young engineer from Williams or Sauber. You need the best. No matter how much costs.
Absolutely insane the amount of former TDs Ross Brawn had at Mercedes heading into 2014.
And that's ignoring the Honda/Brawn era guys who were still there.
maygun wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:21 pm
gshevlin wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:20 pm
The progressive application of the cost cap is resulting in a move of engineers from the best funded teams to the less funded teams. Teams like Mercedes were spending more money on staff than allowed by the cost cap, so they have been letting some staff go. If they end up at a Mercedes- supplied team, that would be the best outcome.
This does make sense to some extent. RB, Ferrari and Mercedes were spending probably around the same amount before the cost cap. While Mercedes lost a lot of their big names to other teams, RB and Ferrari did not. Either RB and Ferrari found better loopholes to keep their staff, or Merc does not care anymore to be in the top game. Whenever I check career websites for the teams Merc has none to few openings while RB and Ferrari have positions listed all the time.
Ferrari, even before the cost cap Ferrari had the habit of loaning engineers to Haas and Sauber/Alfa(that door is closed now.
And they did move a lot of F1 staff into Le Mans and other projects which is no doubt better than losing several engineers.
Even if those guys don't work on the F1 car directly they still can bounce ideas on them in the cafeteria which is a positive.

User avatar
diffuser
224
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:55 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: Moving F1-Staff

Post

maygun wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:21 pm
gshevlin wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:20 pm
The progressive application of the cost cap is resulting in a move of engineers from the best funded teams to the less funded teams. Teams like Mercedes were spending more money on staff than allowed by the cost cap, so they have been letting some staff go. If they end up at a Mercedes- supplied team, that would be the best outcome.
This does make sense to some extent. RB, Ferrari and Mercedes were spending probably around the same amount before the cost cap. While Mercedes lost a lot of their big names to other teams, RB and Ferrari did not. Either RB and Ferrari found better loopholes to keep their staff, or Merc does not care anymore to be in the top game. Whenever I check career websites for the teams Merc has none to few openings while RB and Ferrari have positions listed all the time.
Or you've not been paying close attention.

off the top of my Head I can think of Fallows, Hegedus and Andrew Alessi.

maygun
maygun
3
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:31 pm

Re: Moving F1-Staff

Post

diffuser wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:29 pm
maygun wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:21 pm
gshevlin wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:20 pm
The progressive application of the cost cap is resulting in a move of engineers from the best funded teams to the less funded teams. Teams like Mercedes were spending more money on staff than allowed by the cost cap, so they have been letting some staff go. If they end up at a Mercedes- supplied team, that would be the best outcome.
This does make sense to some extent. RB, Ferrari and Mercedes were spending probably around the same amount before the cost cap. While Mercedes lost a lot of their big names to other teams, RB and Ferrari did not. Either RB and Ferrari found better loopholes to keep their staff, or Merc does not care anymore to be in the top game. Whenever I check career websites for the teams Merc has none to few openings while RB and Ferrari have positions listed all the time.
Or you've not been paying close attention.

off the top of my Head I can think of Fallows, Hegedus and Andrew Alessi.
Maybe you are right I am not closing that closely but still, I don't remember any big signings (except Jayne Poole, who is not a technical employee) from Mercedes in the last 3 years. While they lost big names like Eric Blandin, Mike Elliot, Ben Hodgkinson, along with James.

I wouldn't put Hegedus on that level, but yeah I agree Fallows and Andrew are big names that moved. But they filled Fallow's seat with Enrico Balbo who moved from Mercedes. Wache and Newey is still there.

User avatar
diffuser
224
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:55 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: Moving F1-Staff

Post

maygun wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:17 pm
diffuser wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:29 pm
maygun wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:21 pm

This does make sense to some extent. RB, Ferrari and Mercedes were spending probably around the same amount before the cost cap. While Mercedes lost a lot of their big names to other teams, RB and Ferrari did not. Either RB and Ferrari found better loopholes to keep their staff, or Merc does not care anymore to be in the top game. Whenever I check career websites for the teams Merc has none to few openings while RB and Ferrari have positions listed all the time.
Or you've not been paying close attention.

off the top of my Head I can think of Fallows, Hegedus and Andrew Alessi.
Maybe you are right I am not closing that closely but still, I don't remember any big signings (except Jayne Poole, who is not a technical employee) from Mercedes in the last 3 years. While they lost big names like Eric Blandin, Mike Elliot, Ben Hodgkinson, along with James.

I wouldn't put Hegedus on that level, but yeah I agree Fallows and Andrew are big names that moved. But they filled Fallow's seat with Enrico Balbo who moved from Mercedes. Wache and Newey is still there.
Hegeddus was the project leader for the pitstops at RBR. He's doing the same at AMR. They say he's responsible for the great pit stops at RBR.

ScottR267
ScottR267
0
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:27 pm

Re: Moving F1-Staff

Post

Ivan Roldan previously at McLaren has joined Williams as an aerodynamics project leader

CaribouBread
CaribouBread
100
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:37 am

Re: Moving F1-Staff

Post

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/merce ... /10589045/
Simone Resta and Enrico Sampo signed by Mercedes, not clear when they'll start working for Merc.