2024 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, March 22 - 24

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Oehrly

Re: 2024 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, March 22 - 24

dialtone wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 16:20
Vanja #66 wrote:
venkyhere wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 15:46
(1)
When both have throttle flat out, at many places, the red trace is showing a 'wavy' pattern whilst the blue is smoother. What does this indicate ? Wind ? or some bouncing/porpoising/floor-sparking ?
No idea, perhaps sampling rates of their traces are different.
It’s not just sampling but they introduce jitter in these traces. So the interval between samples isn’t constant.

That being said, it’s still a little weird and was happening in Bahrain as well. I’m sure there’s a very simple explanation and it could indeed be wind.
I am very certain that those fluctuations are nothing that is happening in reality. My theory is that this is an artifact caused during processing of the data on F1's server. Keeping the samples correct is most likely not a priority there. There is likely a small processing delay, and fluctuations of this delay can cause the samples to become somewhat incorrect.

Those kinds of errors occur all the time, but usually they are on a much smaller timescale, that makes them much less noticeable usually. It's a combination of two things, samples having incorrect timestamps and samples having the same value as previous samples, sometimes both.
The errors here are in the range of 200-300ms approximately, and that makes them very visible already.

I have already tried to correct this client side in FastF1. It might be possible to do that by making enough (good) assumptions about the data and the processing that is involved here. But I haven't managed to get good enough results that I could actually roll this out as a new feature.
The lack of reference data is a big problem here when trying to evaluate the results. So if someone can get me some recent team-grade telemetry data, we might have a chance to fix this :D

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

CHT wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 14:21
selvam_e2002 wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 13:53
Cs98 wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 11:52
https://www.planetf1.com/news/alex-albo ... grand-prix
BREAKING: Alex Albon in, Logan Sargeant out for Australian Grand Prix

What a joke.
It is not a Joke. see the influence he has with the team. He is not that much great driver in current F1.

I think he is the one who pushed for it not the team.
Could be sponsorship money talking
yup. valid point. but it is not good for sport.

Vanja #66

venkyhere wrote:
Or is it bouncing (every car has it) causing the pressure variation from the driver's foot to the A-pedal, and these machines being so sensitive in terms of throttle, causing that wavy pattern (on closer look, even the blue trace has it, but to a lesser extent than red) in the speed trace between T6 and T9-10 as the speeds go 280+ kph.

Also, something which I find interesting is that the same 10kph min-corner-speed advantage that the Ferrari has in 100kph speed-range corners is massive in terms of lap time, compared to the same delta in 200kph speed-range corner. As the old adage goes, lap time is really sitting in the slow corners.
Hardly, throttle pedal is pressed fully on straights, they aren't just touching it lightly.

As for corners, just look at relative difference in speed, 10 is 10% of 100 and 5% of 200 kmh.

dialtone wrote:
It’s not just sampling but they introduce jitter in these traces. So the interval between samples isn’t constant.

That being said, it’s still a little weird and was happening in Bahrain as well. I’m sure there’s a very simple explanation and it could indeed be wind.
Thanks, didn't know that... :)
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

organic

Ferrari for pole and to have equal fastest car on Sunday I reckon

dialtone
dialtone

organic wrote:Ferrari for pole and to have equal fastest car on Sunday I reckon
Let’s not get ahead of ourselves. It will be a close race, we’ll know in a few hours if it’s all real. RBR just needs to figure out the slow cornering stuff and they’ll be back to normal, should be an easy setup change.

Juzh

dialtone wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 12:39
Juzh wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 11:38
FP2
my takes:
RB is weak in sub-200 kmh corners, and even in ~220 kmh (red squares). We see it again in melbourne after we've seen in bahrain and saudi.

Ferrari's higher engine mode could be seen in non-drs zones (marked in green). We'se also seen this pattern in bahrain and saudi - RB is using lower power relative in to others in practice.

Only advantage RB seem to hold is in super high speed ~250 kmh (orange), again consistent with past races.

4 tenths is not a small difference, even with usual variables factored in. I predict a game of tenths if not hundredths between LEC/VER come Q3 . Fight for 3rd best is between mclaren/aston/merc. As it stands I'd put mclaren on top of that group.

https://i.imgur.com/VfhT3We.jpeg
I'm not sure the green boxes are higher engine mode, you'd see it in the other straights too. Even in 2023 quali Ferrari looks stronger in those 2 straights in the lap, although slightly. The immediately following straight to the 2nd green box Ferrari has slower climb speed compared to RedBull. It looks like deployment to me, and in particular it seems like RBR is wasting a lot of deployment energy due to poor cornering performance and Ferrari deploys that energy in those 2 straights.

EDIT: Ferrari has also run very conservative engine modes in FP1 and FP2 for the past 2 years basically, I don't see why they would flip this for this race.
We'll see. I dont believe ferrari will have as much advantage on those two straights in q3 as in fp2, at least not on the one from T4-T6. RB with drs open is equal fast even when with drs closed they are not, but we're used to that by now.

Verstappen fp2 lap 1.17.658:
RB20 looks more skittish than ferrari in both ~100 kmh corners T3 and T13. They need multiple stabs on the wheel whereas leclerc is just one smooth turn in - and carries a lot more speed. IMO RB is carrying more fuel at this stage.
https://streamable.com/xxfhlk

stephen

It doesn't look fair to take away Logan's car and giving it to Alex. How do you guys feel about this situation?
Stephen Marengo
My F1 favorites: Community | Team | Driver

dialtone
dialtone

Juzh wrote:
dialtone wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 12:39
Juzh wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 11:38
FP2
my takes:
RB is weak in sub-200 kmh corners, and even in ~220 kmh (red squares). We see it again in melbourne after we've seen in bahrain and saudi.

Ferrari's higher engine mode could be seen in non-drs zones (marked in green). We'se also seen this pattern in bahrain and saudi - RB is using lower power relative in to others in practice.

Only advantage RB seem to hold is in super high speed ~250 kmh (orange), again consistent with past races.

4 tenths is not a small difference, even with usual variables factored in. I predict a game of tenths if not hundredths between LEC/VER come Q3 . Fight for 3rd best is between mclaren/aston/merc. As it stands I'd put mclaren on top of that group.

https://i.imgur.com/VfhT3We.jpeg
I'm not sure the green boxes are higher engine mode, you'd see it in the other straights too. Even in 2023 quali Ferrari looks stronger in those 2 straights in the lap, although slightly. The immediately following straight to the 2nd green box Ferrari has slower climb speed compared to RedBull. It looks like deployment to me, and in particular it seems like RBR is wasting a lot of deployment energy due to poor cornering performance and Ferrari deploys that energy in those 2 straights.

EDIT: Ferrari has also run very conservative engine modes in FP1 and FP2 for the past 2 years basically, I don't see why they would flip this for this race.
We'll see. I dont believe ferrari will have as much advantage on those two straights in q3 as in fp2, at least not on the one from T4-T6. RB with drs open is equal fast even when with drs closed they are not, but we're used to that by now.

Verstappen fp2 lap 1.17.658:
RB20 looks more skittish than ferrari in both ~100 kmh corners T3 and T13. They need multiple stabs on the wheel whereas leclerc is just one smooth turn in - and carries a lot more speed. IMO RB is carrying more fuel at this stage.
https://streamable.com/xxfhlk
High fuel would punish T9-10 massively. I think it’s just a balance thing they’ll sort out.

Zynerji

stephen wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 20:41
It doesn't look fair to take away Logan's car and giving it to Alex. How do you guys feel about this situation?
Meh. Employees are always dealing with similar in every other company in the world.

Aces get the places.

Cs98
Cs98

Zynerji wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 20:49
stephen wrote:
Meh. Employees are always dealing with similar in every other company in the world.

Aces get the places.
He's such an ace on this track that if he keeps it up he'll soon have the "Wall of Albon" at turn 6.

Zynerji

Cs98 wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 20:55
Zynerji wrote:
stephen wrote:

Aces get the places.

He's such an ace on this track that if he keeps it up he'll soon have the "Wall of Albon" at turn 6.
Albon >> Sargeant

I don't make these decisions, but Williams have been clear at this point who their better driver is. Any disagreement and speculation at this point is simply sour grapes.

Cs98
Cs98

Zynerji wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 21:03
Cs98 wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 20:55
Zynerji wrote:

Aces get the places.

Albon >> Sargeant

I don't make these decisions, but Williams have been clear at this point who their better driver is. Any disagreement and speculation at this point is simply sour grapes.
Sure, overall he is much better, but on this track and under these circumstances he is far from an ace. He is a risk.

F1doc
F1doc

I hope Albon doesn't bin it again in FP3/Q1 and leave Williams with a double DNS.

The public vote of no confidence with Sargeant will hurt, and I think for this to happen so early in the season will do both driver and team no good.

Sieper

Sargeant is a pay driver, a necessity for Williams. He has a seat so Albon can have a seat. For this one race then Albon will literally have his seat. If Williams can get 1 point somewhere this year it will make all the difference.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

Cs98 wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 15:55
Does it? Albon has had two massive crashes here in two years, completely his own fault. That obviously poses a risk to his confidence on a track he clearly struggles to drive well on. There's nothing emotional about recognizing his poor record around this track, in fact it would be emotional and irrational not to recognize it. It would also be irrational not to take into account how much pressure he is now under because of all this. If he crashes again it will look terrible for him and he will make the team look like fools for placing him in Sargeant's car. With all that weighing on him I'm expecting a conservative approach for the remainder of the weekend and no results to speak of.
So is he gonna be conservative or is he gonna crash? You cant seem to make up your mind. lol

Either way, you're making big leaps thinking you know anything about what is going to go in the guy's head. People at this level dont tend to shy away from pressure. And two crashes at this track in two years may feel like some convincing pattern that shows he's just terrible here, more likely it's just a coincidence.

And no, even if he doesn't do well, it wont look like a terrible move. I honestly cant grasp why some of you keep saying this, given that Sargeant would almost certainly have never done anything notable, as he's simply not very good and on the whole, more crash-prone than Albon is when it comes down to it. Would it have looked any more some terrible choice if they didn't do this and Sargeant was completely uncompetitive as normal or has some incident as he's more prone to doing?

They have two choices - go with Sargeant who will almost certainly accomplish nothing. Or go with Albon who has a chance of doing something. That's it. That's all that needs to be said.