2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

SSJ4 wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 01:09
xReVo wrote:
25 Mar 2024, 16:43
diffuser wrote:
25 Mar 2024, 16:25

In F1 temp you can see in Quali, they're loosing all their time in the left right quick turns, which Australia has nothing but those turns in them. They're also running significantly more DF than Merc.
The Aston Martin has inherited a congenital understeer from the AMR23, and this only increases with the fuel load. And you can also throw in Alonso's understeer driving to further complicate things. They essentially have a front that doesn't bite, in fast corners as you said this gets even worse (and Aston Martin isn't even an efficiency monster). Consequently, in the race it has problems because the front doesn't bring the tires up to temperature and you also have the problem of understeer. The last straw is that this problem with the front suspension is probably due, in my opinion, to a bad synergy with the rear suspension (which in any case works well). The strong point of this car is the aerodynamic load
do we think them being more aggressive with anti dive front suspension is causing an issue also?

anyways we'll see what they have planned on the development front. mclaren didn't turn up until race 11 last season. so i'll give the team the same amount of time before i write off the season
I'm not convinced of the under-steer theory yet. Like I said a lot of change of direction/chicane type curves in Australia. That isn't the same as a prolonged turn. In Japan turns 1 through 8 are all front limited, you're on and off the throttle at speed between 200 to 250 kph. To boot there is a lot of change of direction in those first 8 turns. The change of directions is not chicane like Australia. Prolonged left right curves flowing one into the next. Then turns 10, 13 and 14 are also front limited, turning under braking. That will be a test.

-wkst-
-wkst-

Schmidt about AMR in the AMuS video blog (known things):

- tyre deg is a problem
- STR told that tyre deg is higher than last year, we should forget his drive in Bahrain, it's ok to overtake the backmarkers, but nothing more
- ALO told that the car fires up the tyres quickly (helps in Q to be more competitive), but a problem over the distance
- Instability on the front, once they adjust on the front the rear gets unstable, very hard to get the car in balance and that results in a higher tyre deg

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

-wkst- wrote:
27 Mar 2024, 08:26

- tyre deg is a problem
- STR told that tyre deg is higher than last year, we should forget his drive in Bahrain, it's ok to overtake the backmarkers, but nothing more
- ALO told that the car fires up the tyres quickly (helps in Q to be more competitive), but a problem over the distance
- Instability on the front, once they adjust on the front the rear gets unstable, very hard to get the car in balance and that results in a higher tyre deg
"the car fires up the tyres quickly"
Ahham,so that's why Aston had to make one extra lap before the fast run at qualification in Australia.

collindsilva
collindsilva

-wkst- wrote:

- tyre deg is a problem
So is it a easy fix that can be achieved with the upgrades or related to merc suspension?, if latter than 2025 will also be a struggle.

-wkst-
-wkst-

collindsilva wrote:
27 Mar 2024, 10:12
-wkst- wrote:

- tyre deg is a problem
So is it a easy fix that can be achieved with the upgrades or related to merc suspension?, if latter than 2025 will also be a struggle.
Who knows?

But I guess it's more than a theory (that the front has problems, or more general the balance), as AMuS and the Motorsport network report it both.

xReVo
xReVo

collindsilva wrote:
27 Mar 2024, 10:12
-wkst- wrote:

- tyre deg is a problem
It's a front end problem, like sf23 had. The point is that you can only solve it by changing the suspensions, that is at the end of the season. During the current season you can only tone it down

SSJ4
SSJ4

I don’t know much about the technical side of f1.

But I wonder how much of the car was flexing last year and if they’re having to run the car stiffer this year. If that makes sense

diffuser

SSJ4 wrote:
27 Mar 2024, 15:42
I don’t know much about the technical side of f1.

But I wonder how much of the car was flexing last year and if they’re having to run the car stiffer this year. If that makes sense
The wings were "flexing" not the suspension. "Run the car" stiffer is in relation to the suspension springs. Two separate issues.

Also the new front wing they put on in Australia introduce some flex. Obviously not as much as 2023.

diffuser

In a statement they wrote: “Honda Racing Corporation has established a new subsidiary, Honda Racing Corporation UK Ltd. (HRC UK) in the UK.

“This new company has been founded to primarily perform post-race maintenance and preparation tasks on the Honda built F1 power units (PUs), whilst also operating as a logistics operation for the European region.

“The establishment of HRC UK will further enhance the effectiveness of Honda’s PU operations, in support of the partnership with Aston Martin Aramco Formula One® Team. In May 2023, Honda and Aston Martin F1 jointly announced they will enter into works partnership so that Honda will supply its F1 PUs compliant with the new F1 regulations which will take effect in the 2026 season.

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/1046255/1 ... ton-martin

diffuser

“Yeah, it was obviously a very difficult weekend for us in terms of pace,” he confirmed.

“The race, we were lucky with the [Virtual] Safety Car at the beginning with Lewis [Hamilton], and then the pit stops were great as well, so thanks to the strategy and a little bit of luck obviously we maximised the points. But we cannot forget that the pace was difficult the whole weekend.”

Alonso was unsure whether Aston’s muted performance in Australia had been track dependent or not.

“I don’t know, we need to understand more. Last year also was a little bit down, Australia, comparing the other race, so we need to improve.”

https://f1i.com/news/503822-alonso-auss ... prove.html

diffuser

Asked if the Japanese Grand Prix would be an interesting exercise, McCullough said: “It is because you've got stable aerodynamic regulations comparing where you are, which we always do – last year, this year. It's just mind-blowing sometimes in the data, but then you say, ‘Ah, you know, the difference in tyres’, and obviously that's to do with track temperature and wind. There's lots of factors.”

McCullough did acknowledge that if those external factors remain consistent with last year's Japanese GP, it will be a fair barometer.

He added: "Japan's going to be a very interesting one because it is exactly the same tyres, compounds, construction, aerodynamic regs – a proper read on where we are if the weather is the same, track temperature the same, the winds the same.”

https://racingnews365.com/the-mind-blow ... e-in-japan

xReVo
xReVo

diffuser wrote:
27 Mar 2024, 16:52
Asked if the Japanese Grand Prix would be an interesting exercise, McCullough said: “It is because you've got stable aerodynamic regulations comparing where you are, which we always do – last year, this year. It's just mind-blowing sometimes in the data, but then you say, ‘Ah, you know, the difference in tyres’, and obviously that's to do with track temperature and wind. There's lots of factors.”

McCullough did acknowledge that if those external factors remain consistent with last year's Japanese GP, it will be a fair barometer.

He added: "Japan's going to be a very interesting one because it is exactly the same tyres, compounds, construction, aerodynamic regs – a proper read on where we are if the weather is the same, track temperature the same, the winds the same.”

if so, the temperature, the winds, the sea, the mountains. But seriously? Well I don't know guys, I'm slowly losing faith

Xyz22
Xyz22

xReVo wrote:
27 Mar 2024, 19:04
diffuser wrote:
27 Mar 2024, 16:52

if so, the temperature, the winds, the sea, the mountains. But seriously? Well I don't know guys, I'm slowly losing faith
It's really difficult to fix such an issue (huge mismatch between quali and race performance compared to the competition).

SSJ4
SSJ4

I really dislike Tom McCullough. I have 0 faith in anything he says.

Just hope the development potential they said they have with amr24 is actually true and not a repeat of last year

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

SSJ4 wrote:
27 Mar 2024, 20:01
I really dislike Tom McCullough. I have 0 faith in anything he says.

Just hope the development potential they said they have with amr24 is actually true and not a repeat of last year
Don't forget,the Mercedes also struggling ,Totto complaining again about correlation problems between wind tunnel and track. I remember last year Aston also had issues with it. I wouldn't be surprised if the Mercedes wind tunnel is not working good or can't support this ground effect cars.