2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SSJ4
SSJ4

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:
27 Mar 2024, 20:53
SSJ4 wrote:
27 Mar 2024, 20:01
I really dislike Tom McCullough. I have 0 faith in anything he says.

Just hope the development potential they said they have with amr24 is actually true and not a repeat of last year
Don't forget,the Mercedes also struggling ,Totto complaining again about correlation problems between wind tunnel and track. I remember last year Aston also had issues with it. I wouldn't be surprised if the Mercedes wind tunnel is not working good or can't support this ground effect cars.
True. Isnt Aston martins new wind tunnel meant to be up and running during this season?

diffuser

OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:
27 Mar 2024, 20:53
SSJ4 wrote:
27 Mar 2024, 20:01
I really dislike Tom McCullough. I have 0 faith in anything he says.

Just hope the development potential they said they have with amr24 is actually true and not a repeat of last year
Don't forget,the Mercedes also struggling ,Totto complaining again about correlation problems between wind tunnel and track. I remember last year Aston also had issues with it. I wouldn't be surprised if the Mercedes wind tunnel is not working good or can't support this ground effect cars.
I doudt that they started to have WT problems all of a sudden. It more likely that with the new regs, some of the cfd models they had built up over time are off.

-wkst-
-wkst-

Regarding windtunnel, simulator, etc.

Would be nice to see the progress of the AMRTC in the last 3 months, no video from Guy Austin since christmas.

Building 2 and 3 should be completed somewhere around summer break in august, or early september.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Aston Martin fine-tunes new concept
The new Aston Martin is better over a fast lap than over the distance. Last year it was the other way round. That's because the engineers have taken a different approach with the AMR24. This should pay off later.

Aston Martin is no longer an underdog. In the past, they would have celebrated fifth place with 25 points and one point behind Mercedes. Now the Silverstone-based racing team has to put up with the question of why things are not going better. Podium places are currently out of reach. The green cars only shine on Saturday.

Fernando Alonso put his car in sixth place on the grid in Bahrain, fourth in Jeddah and tenth in Melbourne only because he damaged his underbody in a spin in turn 6. Otherwise, a place on the third row of the grid would have been possible.

If Aston Martin wants to defend these positions in the race, it needs a perfect strategy, puncture-free pit stops, a bit of racing luck and an Alonso in top form. In Melbourne, the chief driver made too many mistakes in practice.

And in the race, he received a questionable penalty for a defensive battle in which he pushed what was allowed to the limit. It was a duel with George Russell for sixth place. Eight points currently counts as a small victory.

In qualifying, it helps that the Aston Martin gets its tyres up to temperature quickly. In the race it becomes a disadvantage.

DRS effect helps especially in qualifying
Last year, Sundays were generally better than Saturdays. Now it's the other way round. There are many reasons for this. The DRS effect is significantly better with the new car than with the old one. With open DRS, this brings a lot of lap time in qualifying, especially on tracks with three or four overtaking zones. In the race, the rear wing usually remains closed.

"And then you no longer have the fresh tyre to help you over the grip-limited areas," explains Chief Engineer Tom McCullough. The new AMR24 is also a car that gets its tyres up to temperature quickly. "You pay for that on Sunday, because you demand the opposite from the tyres," compares Alonso. What's more, the engineers find it more difficult to balance the cars.

The Astons suffer from instability on the front axle. If you counteract too much with the front wing or the suspension settings, the rear suffers. The golden compromise is a fine line that is difficult to strike. Even more so in the race, because the car is constantly changing and you're racing on different types of tyres.

The soft tyres help to conceal the car's weaknesses in qualifying. They only become apparent over the distance.

Fast corners better than slow ones
The consequence is heavy tyre wear. Lance Stroll does not want to use his strong race to catch up in Bahrain as a counter-example. "It's enough for the five teams in the second half of the field. But compared to the four in front of us, our tyres are degrading too much." However, Alonso is already seeing progress: "We have reduced tyre wear since the first race."

According to Stroll, the AMR24 builds up more grip than its predecessor, but the driving characteristics cannot be compared. "This car requires a different driving style to get the maximum out of it." The old man in the team is better at this. You can see it in the increased time differences.

The 2024 Aston Martin is better at fast corners than slow ones. It used to be the other way round. "But the car gives us more scope for development, and that will pay off later in the season," hopes Team Principal Mike Krack.

A new rear wing was fitted to the car in Jeddah and a modified front wing in Melbourne. Upgrades will also be in the bag at Suzuka, before the first major package is unpacked at Imola. With the risk that the direct opponents will neutralise each other. All the other teams will also bring their retreaded cars to the European opener.
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... vs-rennen/

Xyz22
Xyz22

KimiRai wrote:
28 Mar 2024, 13:14
Aston Martin fine-tunes new concept
The new Aston Martin is better over a fast lap than over the distance. Last year it was the other way round. That's because the engineers have taken a different approach with the AMR24. This should pay off later.

Aston Martin is no longer an underdog. In the past, they would have celebrated fifth place with 25 points and one point behind Mercedes. Now the Silverstone-based racing team has to put up with the question of why things are not going better. Podium places are currently out of reach. The green cars only shine on Saturday.

Fernando Alonso put his car in sixth place on the grid in Bahrain, fourth in Jeddah and tenth in Melbourne only because he damaged his underbody in a spin in turn 6. Otherwise, a place on the third row of the grid would have been possible.

If Aston Martin wants to defend these positions in the race, it needs a perfect strategy, puncture-free pit stops, a bit of racing luck and an Alonso in top form. In Melbourne, the chief driver made too many mistakes in practice.

And in the race, he received a questionable penalty for a defensive battle in which he pushed what was allowed to the limit. It was a duel with George Russell for sixth place. Eight points currently counts as a small victory.

In qualifying, it helps that the Aston Martin gets its tyres up to temperature quickly. In the race it becomes a disadvantage.

DRS effect helps especially in qualifying
Last year, Sundays were generally better than Saturdays. Now it's the other way round. There are many reasons for this. The DRS effect is significantly better with the new car than with the old one. With open DRS, this brings a lot of lap time in qualifying, especially on tracks with three or four overtaking zones. In the race, the rear wing usually remains closed.

"And then you no longer have the fresh tyre to help you over the grip-limited areas," explains Chief Engineer Tom McCullough. The new AMR24 is also a car that gets its tyres up to temperature quickly. "You pay for that on Sunday, because you demand the opposite from the tyres," compares Alonso. What's more, the engineers find it more difficult to balance the cars.

The Astons suffer from instability on the front axle. If you counteract too much with the front wing or the suspension settings, the rear suffers. The golden compromise is a fine line that is difficult to strike. Even more so in the race, because the car is constantly changing and you're racing on different types of tyres.

The soft tyres help to conceal the car's weaknesses in qualifying. They only become apparent over the distance.

Fast corners better than slow ones
The consequence is heavy tyre wear. Lance Stroll does not want to use his strong race to catch up in Bahrain as a counter-example. "It's enough for the five teams in the second half of the field. But compared to the four in front of us, our tyres are degrading too much." However, Alonso is already seeing progress: "We have reduced tyre wear since the first race."

According to Stroll, the AMR24 builds up more grip than its predecessor, but the driving characteristics cannot be compared. "This car requires a different driving style to get the maximum out of it." The old man in the team is better at this. You can see it in the increased time differences.

The 2024 Aston Martin is better at fast corners than slow ones. It used to be the other way round. "But the car gives us more scope for development, and that will pay off later in the season," hopes Team Principal Mike Krack.

A new rear wing was fitted to the car in Jeddah and a modified front wing in Melbourne. Upgrades will also be in the bag at Suzuka, before the first major package is unpacked at Imola. With the risk that the direct opponents will neutralise each other. All the other teams will also bring their retreaded cars to the European opener.
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... vs-rennen/
I don't agree with this.
Generally, a car that is much quicker over one lap compared to race trim has significant issues that are "covered" by the super fresh softest compound.
When you need to deliver consistent lap times over and over with the same tyres that start to provide less and less grip you really see which cars are the best in terms of balance.

-wkst-
-wkst-

The same Michael Schmidt reports now too that in the background their is a battle going on between Mercedes and AMR who will get VER if he decides to leave RBR. AMR is interested not only in VER but also in Newey (Ferrari too, not Mercedes), to complete the dream team with Honda again. Horner on the other side wants to secure ALO for next year, to have at least one top driver.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Xyz22 wrote:
28 Mar 2024, 13:49
I don't agree with this.
Generally, a car that is much quicker over one lap compared to race trim has significant issues that are "covered" by the super fresh softest compound.
When you need to deliver consistent lap times over and over with the same tyres that start to provide less and less grip you really see which cars are the best in terms of balance.
I think that's in the article itself, not sure why you said it again.

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

-wkst- wrote:
28 Mar 2024, 14:03
The same Michael Schmidt reports now too that in the background their is a battle going on between Mercedes and AMR who will get VER if he decides to leave RBR. AMR is interested not only in VER but also in Newey (Ferrari too, not Mercedes), to complete the dream team with Honda again. Horner on the other side wants to secure ALO for next year, to have at least one top driver.
Max itself said in Australia GP that he will be with RB till 2028 in a press. So Max is not going any where...

Xyz22
Xyz22

KimiRai wrote:
Xyz22 wrote:
I don't agree with this.
Just wanted to reiterate while underlining that i don’t agree with the premise that this approach pays off “later” as written in the article.

I just don’t understand why they went for this approach in the design phase (“peak performance”, especially after seeing Ferrari disaster last year).
Of course maybe this was unexpected which could be even worse as the design process final result was not what they expected.

They have talented individual in the Team so i’m sure they will improve through the season.

nowaysthatsreal
nowaysthatsreal

AMR24 was designed by keeping last years car’s weaknesses. Poor DRS and and aero efficiency in high speed corners. But the changes made moved them from their original strengths which was not the plan. They will try their best to cure this but looks like it’s not an easy fix. Maybe 2025 car will have better chance with these learnings.

xReVo
xReVo

xReVo wrote:
28 Mar 2024, 16:53
xReVo wrote:
28 Mar 2024, 16:53
nowaysthatsreal wrote:
28 Mar 2024, 16:01
AMR24 was designed by keeping last years car’s weaknesses. Poor DRS and and aero efficiency in high speed corners. But the changes made moved them from their original strengths which was not the plan. They will try their best to cure this but looks like it’s not an easy fix. Maybe 2025 car will have better chance with these learnings.
They have improved the DRS effect, but compared to the competitors it is 1/2km/h more, that is, 1-1.5 tenths per lap is not a big difference. It's overrated as a thing. Aston Martin isn't the fastest in qualifying as it slower than Redbull and Ferrari, which differentiates it from sf23. While in the race he is behind McLaren and Mercedes. Basically they are nowhere, so let's wait for the official updates (even if in my opinion the suspension problem cannot be resolved until the end of the season). Saying "let's hope for 2025" at the start of the 2024 season is not a good thing. However, the thing I like least is the fact that there are too many excuses, McLaren has improved more than Aston Martin and their only idea is to win, but here it seems like you just have to chase.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Whether that was intended or not and whether it was a sensible choice or not I don't think we can know for now. What we do know is new parts are coming to Suzuka and Imola and hopefully they work well. This year the fight is to be the best Mercedes powered team.

SSJ4
SSJ4

KimiRai wrote:
28 Mar 2024, 18:54
Whether that was intended or not and whether it was a sensible choice or not I don't think we can know for now. What we do know is new parts are coming to Suzuka and Imola and hopefully they work well. This year the fight is to be the best Mercedes powered team.
can't see us catching mclaren tbh. they seem to have good correlation with there new windtunnel and two very talented drivers

xReVo
xReVo

SSJ4 wrote:
28 Mar 2024, 19:42
KimiRai wrote:
28 Mar 2024, 18:54
can't see us catching mclaren tbh. they seem to have good correlation with there new windtunnel and two very talented drivers
The drivers' classification counts, nobody remembers the constructors' classification. So it's important that they improve a car to make it consistently reach the podium with Alonso

diffuser

Xyz22 wrote:
28 Mar 2024, 14:40
KimiRai wrote:
Xyz22 wrote:
I don't agree with this.
Just wanted to reiterate while underlining that i don’t agree with the premise that this approach pays off “later” as written in the article.

I just don’t understand why they went for this approach in the design phase (“peak performance”, especially after seeing Ferrari disaster last year).
Of course maybe this was unexpected which could be even worse as the design process final result was not what they expected.

They have talented individual in the Team so i’m sure they will improve through the season.
So you don't agree that it will payoff "later", in the year he ment....but You're sure they'll improve..... Which one is it?

We've been told that in 2023 they put sub team together to improve DRS performance. They probably also tried to get the tires to come up to temp faster. Sounds like they've succeeded at both but have been surprised by the effect it's had on degradation. We also don't know if they're deg has gotten worse or others have gotten better.

It pretty clear to me the deg advantage was almost all gone by the end of 2023.