2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LM10
LM10

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Seanspeed wrote:
12 Apr 2024, 18:38
True, I'm not suggesting that every team will uniformly improve along with us, and I did suggest Ferrari could still make some level of leap forward.

But Red Bull in particular are pretty good at doing upgrades when they need to, so in a direct development race with them, starting from the backfoot, I'd say it will be extremely hard to actually catch up.

And your post also goes both ways - it's no guarantee Ferrari's upgrade will work, or at least work as well as expected, either. Just saying, if 2.5 tenths is what they actually achieve, I still expect things to be fairly similar to what are they now, where we're more closely racing with Mclaren, Aston and Mercedes than we are Red Bull. Mclaren seem to understand their car pretty well now and should have something significant for Europe, and of course Red Bull should have something as well. We cant just subtract 2.5 tenths from the current picture, cuz others will be improving, too.
McLaren, Aston and Mercedes are at least as far away from Ferrari as is Ferrari from RedBull, if not more. McLaren, being the fastest among that pack, was not able to put even slight pressure on Ferrari in the races. Ferrari despite having issues of some sort in 3 of 4 races still comfortably ended the race as second fastest behind RedBull each time and is clearly ahead of anyone in the constructor standings.
As for Aston and Mercedes, at this point it’s delusional to consider them at the same level of Ferrari.

Regarding the upgrades, i consider Ferrari having the biggest potential to improve among others simply because that car with this concept is a youngster from a timeline point of view. Not only that, but Ferrari managed to clearly surpass McLaren over winter with a similar concept which McLaren have been developing for much longer.

RedBull has already brought their upgrade and it worked well. Whatever Ferrari brings next, the improvement can actually be substracted from the current picture, why not? Of course in case everything works as intended, but I don’t see why it shouldn’t. Ferrari has also improved in terms of correlation and upgrade effectiveness lately. They’ve not had correlation issues last season and I don’t expect any this season.

FDD
FDD

After spending 3 days in the simulator.
Zander Arcari:
"According to the information collected, the CR has studied various hypothetical scenarios, with the clear objective of showing up in Shanghai with the most suitable warm-up strategy under its arm. Charles feels ready and above all he thinks he has understood how to improve the activation of the compounds which, on board the SF-24 , did not always seem simple."

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

LM10 wrote:
12 Apr 2024, 21:23
McLaren, Aston and Mercedes are at least as far away from Ferrari as is Ferrari from RedBull, if not more. McLaren, being the fastest among that pack, was not able to put even slight pressure on Ferrari in the races. Ferrari despite having issues of some sort in 3 of 4 races still comfortably ended the race as second fastest behind RedBull each time and is clearly ahead of anyone in the constructor standings.
As for Aston and Mercedes, at this point it’s delusional to consider them at the same level of Ferrari.

Regarding the upgrades, i consider Ferrari having the biggest potential to improve among others simply because that car with this concept is a youngster from a timeline point of view. Not only that, but Ferrari managed to clearly surpass McLaren over winter with a similar concept which McLaren have been developing for much longer.

RedBull has already brought their upgrade and it worked well. Whatever Ferrari brings next, the improvement can actually be substracted from the current picture, why not? Of course in case everything works as intended, but I don’t see why it shouldn’t. Ferrari has also improved in terms of correlation and upgrade effectiveness lately. They’ve not had correlation issues last season and I don’t expect any this season.
Ferrari have not pressured Verstappen at any point this year in a race, and barely even in qualifying.

Mclaren have certainly done so against Ferrari, even if Ferrari has ultimately been the quicker car. Mercedes and Aston Martin are also not that far behind and shouldn't be written off.

You've listed plenty of reasons to be optimistic, but there's a lot that can happen and you're being silly if you think Red Bull wont have more updates for Imola.

"I dont see why it shouldn't" - the reasons dont need to be plain or predictable. Updates simply not working, or others developing faster, these are all things that can and do happen in F1. Either way, I think the gap to Red Bull is still bigger than many seem to be thinking as Verstappen has never had to do anything this season except cruise around up front unbothered by anybody. And while it's fun to be excited, I'm also picturing a bunch of looming disappointment if/when Ferrari dont actually end up catching Red Bull, which to me still feels like quite the long shot.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Seanspeed wrote:
12 Apr 2024, 22:47
LM10 wrote:

Ferrari have not pressured Verstappen at any point this year in a race, and barely even in qualifying.

Mclaren have certainly done so against Ferrari, even if Ferrari has ultimately been the quicker car. Mercedes and Aston Martin are also not that far behind and shouldn't be written off.

You've listed plenty of reasons to be optimistic, but there's a lot that can happen and you're being silly if you think Red Bull wont have more updates for Imola.

"I dont see why it shouldn't" - the reasons dont need to be plain or predictable. Updates simply not working, or others developing faster, these are all things that can and do happen in F1. Either way, I think the gap to Red Bull is still bigger than many seem to be thinking as Verstappen has never had to do anything this season except cruise around up front unbothered by anybody. And while it's fun to be excited, I'm also picturing a bunch of looming disappointment if/when Ferrari dont actually end up catching Red Bull, which to me still feels like quite the long shot.
Is this Mclaren's F1T account? :lol:

Most of what we've seen from Ferrari come down to their own errors. I made a list last week.

Bahrain: Brakes
Saudi: Conservative setup
AUS: Leclerc didn't show us the real pace because of qualy.
Japan: Leclerc didn't show us the real pace because of qualy.

There's a battle between people who are optimistic and those who are pessimistic. The truth is of course in the middle. The gap is closing steadily. Not as fast as some would like, but not as slow as some think either.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

AR3-GP wrote:
12 Apr 2024, 23:26
Man, I expected a somewhat higher standard of posting quality here, and that seems to have been a mistake.

I'm a long-time Ferrari fan. Ya know, the rare sort who actually supports a team more than any driver. Making suggestions, even light-hearted, that my allegiances are elsewhere simply cuz I'm not blindly positive about the future, is so freaking annoying. I've been following this sport long enough to know that lots of things can happen and that, despite all the plenty of optimistic opportunities we may have, things are not so simple and predictable as that.

Ferrari fans have a tendency towards negativity based on the lack of championships in the past decade and a half, and I'm simply trying to bring in a semblance of reason here, so that people dont write this season off as a failure cuz of unreasonable expectations of catching Red Bull, and rather a success due to the steps forward the team did make.

scuderiabrandon

Seanspeed wrote:
13 Apr 2024, 01:30
AR3-GP wrote:
12 Apr 2024, 23:26
Man, I expected a somewhat higher standard of posting quality here, and that seems to have been a mistake.

I'm a long-time Ferrari fan. Ya know, the rare sort who actually supports a team more than any driver. Making suggestions, even light-hearted, that my allegiances are elsewhere simply cuz I'm not blindly positive about the future, is so freaking annoying. I've been following this sport long enough to know that lots of things can happen and that, despite all the plenty of optimistic opportunities we may have, things are not so simple and predictable as that.

Ferrari fans have a tendency towards negativity based on the lack of championships in the past decade and a half, and I'm simply trying to bring in a semblance of reason here, so that people don't write this season off as a failure cuz of unreasonable expectations of catching Red Bull, and rather a success due to the steps forward the team did make.
As AR3-GP mentioned, there are many reasons to believe that the car's true pace hasn't been shown yet, even if you ignore the obvious reasons, the right compromise between qualy & race pace has not been achieved yet.

Getting ahead of Red Bull's on Saturday is just as important. If we take this 3 tenth per lap gap to them as the true pace deficit, realistically, that gap already decreases if we can get a car into clean air more often.

Catching Red Bull is not unreasonable, theoretically at favourable circuits we should already be right on their tales.

deadhead

Like it was mentioned here already: “hysteretic cycle”

https://www-funoanalisitecnica-com.tran ... r_pto=wapp

catent
catent

Seanspeed wrote:
LM10 wrote:

“Ferrari have not pressured Verstappen at any point this year in a race, and barely even in qualifying”.

That initial statement is not fair, imo.

Leclerc’s Q2 lap at Bahrain was faster than what ultimately ended up being Verstappen’s pole, and Sainz absolutely pressured Verstappen during the opening laps at Australia (Verstappen’s mechanical notwithstanding).

Yes, I agree with the general sentiment that Red Bull is still a meaningful margin ahead of Ferrari (for the time being), and I also agree that the gap between Ferrari and McLaren is smaller than the gap between Ferrari and Red Bull (for the time being). That said, I think the gap between Ferrari and Red Bull is probably roughly equivalent to, or perhaps a bit smaller than, the gap between Ferrari and Mercedes/Aston (at least in terms of race pace).

I absolutely do think, though, that Ferrari has flashed the ability to put pressure on Red Bull thus far and I am hopeful and cautiously optimistic that they will continue to do so, particularly as they come to better understand/optimize what is ultimately a fairly new car to them, and as upgrades are introduced.

LM10
LM10

Seanspeed wrote:

Please tell me when exactly McLaren pressured Ferrari in any of the races this season. I can't remember.

I've never said that Ferrari will catch up RedBull, but I'm also not overly pessimistic to claim that this possibility is unrealistic because it isn't. Not this season. If RedBull stops developing the RB20 today, Ferrari will close the gap and surpass them. Last season RedBull could have done a full stop to their development of the RB19 after the first race and Ferrari would still have not been able to close the gap completely.

"Updates simply not working" is an argument I would agree with, if it was Mercedes for example because they're still trying to figure out their car and have been doing so since 2022 actually. But what would be a reason for Ferrari without correlation issues and with a proper understanding of their car for the update not to work? This does not "simply" happen like it's gambling. There are reasons. When was the last time an update from RedBull didn't work? They don't have correlation issues and they know what they're doing. Same can be said for Ferrari.

I don't believe that others (I mean McLaren, Aston and Mercedes) will develop faster than Ferrari. I think so because even though Ferrari's wings, having built the fastest car in 2022, were clipped by a TD initiated by Mercedes, Ferrari managed to bounce back and build a clearly better car than all three of them. While Ferrari used all of last season figuring out and fixing the mess they've been put into by the FIA, McLaren had plenty of time focusing on making their car faster. Yet, they've not managed to stay ahead of Ferrari.
Mercedes is still searching for answers and seem lost. So much running since 2022, so much testing and experimenting in-season, but they still seem clueless. I think you'll agree with me if I tell you that, with all respect, I don't expect them to outdevelop Ferrari.
Aston Martin gives the impression of not being quite there yet either. Do you think that there is a reasonable possibility for them to outdevelop Ferrari? Just a question. I for myself don't think so.
So the only ones from this pack left which seem to have made a breakthrough and know what they're doing is McLaren. But they don't do it better than Ferrari. This is my opinion. I'm not being blindly positive, but I'm also not overmodest.

I'm a long-time Ferrari fan too, just like you and I very well know the hard times and disappointments we've went through in the last years. I usually am more of an optimistic person and being disappointed at the end of this season is a risk I'm willing to take. Just to clarify it, though, I of course will not be disappointed if Ferrari can't fight for the title because that's not what I'm expecting. I will, however, be disappointed if Ferrari can't decrease the gap to RedBull.

Timtim99
Timtim99

As someone who’s been rooting for Ferrari for over two decades, I’ve seen our fair share of ups and downs. This season has been a roller coaster, but I’m not ready to count us out just yet. Sure, Max Verstappen and Red Bull have set the pace early on, but let’s not forget Carlos Sainz’s brilliant win down under. That victory wasn’t just luck; it showed that we have the muscle to take the fight to the front.
Now, about McLaren putting pressure on us – they’ve had their moments, no doubt. Lando Norris and Oscar Piastri are punching above their weight, and it’s great to see such talent on the grid. But when you look at the standings, it’s clear we’re still ahead. We’re not just racing for podiums; we’re in it for the championship points.
I get the concern about development – it’s F1, after all, where the only constant is change. But Ferrari isn’t just any team. We’ve got history, we’ve got passion, and we’ve got a deep understanding of our car. Updates not working? That’s a risk for any team, but we’ve been nailing ours, and I trust our crew to keep that streak going.
Mercedes and Aston Martin are lurking, sure, but they haven’t shown they can outpace us just yet. Mercedes seems to be in a bit of a maze since 2022, and Aston Martin, while impressive, doesn’t seem ready to challenge the top dogs.
And yes, Red Bull will bring more to Imola. They always do. But so will we. The gap might look big now, but in F1, gaps can close in the blink of an eye. We’ve got the talent, the tech, and the tenacity to make it happen.
So, fellow Tifosi, let’s keep our spirits high. Being a Ferrari fan is about more than just winning; it’s about believing in the team through thick and thin. And if we don’t catch Red Bull? Well, that won’t dampen my passion. I’m here for the long haul, ready to cheer on every lap, every turn, every heart-stopping moment. Forza Ferrari!

Andres125sx

Vanja #66 wrote:
12 Apr 2024, 08:54
Andres, please stop picking pointless fights all the time
I know, Leclerc fanbase prefer ignoring any data wich do not show how much faster Charles is compared to any other driver, specially his teammate :roll:

But facts are facts, and this is F1Technical, so I´ll continue correcting any wrong or biased data posted here. Otherwise this should be called F1fanboy forum, and I´d like it to continue as F1Technical :wink:

ferrarifire
ferrarifire

There is a lot of emotional discussion going on here. Have we considered how Ferrari's on-track results have suddenly improved? Simulations, software, edge computing and ai play a more significant role in car design than before. Ferrari has made strategic investments in these areas for the last two years, starting with the replacement of Spyder with Dynisma and its driver feedback simulator. They've also partnered with Amazon, incorporating edge computing (sending data from the car to the AWS cloud along with simulations). They've recently updated their race strategy software with a new AI model. These strategic moves were made before the cost cap was tactically implemented.

Last year was primarily about understanding the new systems and in the initial stages, Ferrari engineers struggled as there was a lot of new learning. Now they are comfortable with these systems and this is a major reason why Ferrari has managed to catch up with Mercedes and McLaren, even though Ferrari adopted the design quite late. These processes were previously conducted internally at Ferrari and lacked a mature model, as Ferrari relied heavily on track testing data. Ferrari is more optimistic than before because of these investments in tech. Ferrari has always had a strong engine department; it was not a concern. We can say that Ferrari will start challenging Red Bull much better than before. Now all Ferrari needs is a few leaders and engineer to lead and strengthen the existing groups.

Red Bull made these strategic investments at least five to seven years ago. Oracle OCI is one of the main reasons for Red Bull's success, and Horner has mentioned this multiple times in interviews. They had a head start since there was no need for them to focus on engines and they did all the investments in simulations and tech software. We always tag Adrian as the design guru but in reality, he is supported by 100+ engineers in the background with these softwares. There is no denial about his leadership qualities but you can't attribute a team's success to an individual.

Note, Mercedes is struggling for the same reason. Their HPP division uses outdated software and simulations (I can vouch for this as my friend works there), and they won't recover until they update their simulation systems and resolve their on-track correlation issues. Of course, they won't publicly acknowledge this.

Most discussions focus on individuals, but in reality, having the right infrastructure is more critical. It's also important to have a team that understands these systems well because if your design is flawed, everything else will suffer.
Last edited by ferrarifire on 13 Apr 2024, 14:20, edited 2 times in total.

DoctorRadio
DoctorRadio

ferrarifire wrote:
13 Apr 2024, 12:53
There is a lot of emotional discussion going on here. Have we considered how Ferrari's on-track results have suddenly improved? Simulations, software, edge computing and ai play a more significant role in car design than before. Ferrari has made strategic investments in these areas for the last two years, starting with the replacement of Spyder with Dynisma and its driver feedback simulator. They've also partnered with Amazon, incorporating edge computing (sending data from the car to the AWS cloud along with simulations). They've recently updated their race strategy software with a new AI model. These strategic moves were made before the cost cap was tactically implemented.

Last year was primarily about understanding the new systems and in the initial stages, Ferrari engineers struggled as there was a lot of new learning. Now they are very comfortable with these systems and this is a major reason why Ferrari has managed to catch up with Mercedes and McLaren, even though Ferrari adopted the design quite late. These processes were previously conducted internally at Ferrari and lacked a mature model, as Ferrari relied heavily on track testing data. Ferrari is more optimistic than before because of these investments in tech. Ferrari has always had a strong engine department; it was not a concern. We can say that Ferrari will start challenging Red Bull much better than before. Now all Ferrari needs is a few leaders and engineer to lead and strengthen the existing groups.

Red Bull made these strategic investments at least five to seven years ago. Oracle OCI is one of the main reasons for Red Bull's success, and Horner has mentioned multiple times in interviews. They had a head start since there was no need for them to focus on engines and they did all the investments in simulations and tech software. We always tag Adrian as the design guru but in reality, he is supported by 100+ engineers in the background with these softwares. There is no denial about his leadership qualities but you can't attribute a team's success to an individual.

Note, Mercedes is struggling for the same reason. Their HPP division uses outdated software and simulations (I can vouch for this as my friend works there), and they won't recover until they update their simulation systems and resolve their on-track correlation issues. Of course, they won't publicly acknowledge this.

Most discussions focus on individuals, but in reality, having the right infrastructure is more critical. It's also important to have a team that understands these systems well because if your design is flawed, everything else will suffer.
Lots of interesting points there; out of curiosity, how do you know that regarding Ferrari?
I don’t remember any article writing so specifically about that.

ferrarifire
ferrarifire

Dont want to go too much in details , In short i have few connections in mercedes hpp , obviously they know about their competitors SWOT more than what is available in public forum . Now more or less ferrari have the required ingredients to success and lets see how it is getting unfolded in the future . This also indirectly answers the question about Lewis switch . f1 racing is a very small closed group and everyone knows where the wind is moving .
DoctorRadio wrote:
13 Apr 2024, 13:05
ferrarifire wrote:

Last year was primarily about understanding the new systems and in the initial stages, Ferrari engineers struggled as there was a lot of new learning. Now they are very comfortable with these systems and this is a major reason why Ferrari has managed to catch up with Mercedes and McLaren, even though Ferrari adopted the design quite late. These processes were previously conducted internally at Ferrari and lacked a mature model, as Ferrari relied heavily on track testing data. Ferrari is more optimistic than before because of these investments in tech. Ferrari has always had a strong engine department; it was not a concern. We can say that Ferrari will start challenging Red Bull much better than before. Now all Ferrari needs is a few leaders and engineer to lead and strengthen the existing groups.

Red Bull made these strategic investments at least five to seven years ago. Oracle OCI is one of the main reasons for Red Bull's success, and Horner has mentioned multiple times in interviews. They had a head start since there was no need for them to focus on engines and they did all the investments in simulations and tech software. We always tag Adrian as the design guru but in reality, he is supported by 100+ engineers in the background with these softwares. There is no denial about his leadership qualities but you can't attribute a team's success to an individual.

Lots of interesting points there; out of curiosity, how do you know that regarding Ferrari?

DoctorRadio
DoctorRadio

ferrarifire wrote:
13 Apr 2024, 13:59
Dont want to go in details , In short i have few connections in mercedes hpp , obviously they know about their competitors SWOT more than what is available in public forum . Now more or less ferrari have the required ingredients to success and lets see how it is getting unfolded in the future . This also indirectly answers the question about Lewis switch . f1 racing is a very small closed group and everyone knows where the wind is moving .
DoctorRadio wrote:
13 Apr 2024, 13:05
ferrarifire wrote:

Thanks.
That can point also to the fact that Ferrari’s 2026 power unit is going to be at the top of the stakes (as premature as it can be now)?