2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Meanwhile, AMuS confirms that the Imola upgrades will arrive in Miami and that work will be on the floor and cladding. It is not explained what kind of cladding we are talking about. Possibly the engine hood, maybe the sidepods. So what happens, we won’t see the front wing?

organic

LionsHeart wrote:
01 May 2024, 14:33
Meanwhile, AMuS confirms that the Imola upgrades will arrive in Miami and that work will be on the floor and cladding. It is not explained what kind of cladding we are talking about. Possibly the engine hood, maybe the sidepods. So what happens, we won’t see the front wing?
Sounds like front wing not included in package. Maybe it comes later (a couple of races?) or wait for Silverstone

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

organic wrote:
01 May 2024, 14:35
LionsHeart wrote:
Sounds like front wing not included in package. Maybe it comes later (a couple of races?) or wait for Silverstone
Yeah, that's probably it. Maybe in Imola, maybe later. Then there's Montreal and Barcelona. You can see the updates on the front wing there. Either the team decided not to announce that the front wing is ready, but it's already been brought in. We'll see tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.

M840TR
M840TR

LionsHeart wrote:
I'm guessing cladding refers to packaging. Probably lost in translation.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

M840TR wrote:
01 May 2024, 14:46
LionsHeart wrote:
https://x.com/TheMcLarenZone/status/1785624382066360795

So, I don’t know :)

organic

LionsHeart wrote:
01 May 2024, 14:49
M840TR wrote:
LionsHeart wrote:

it's better translated as bodywork. Non-specific but most likely referring to the engine cover/sidepod/undercut regions

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

organic wrote:
01 May 2024, 14:53
LionsHeart wrote:
01 May 2024, 14:49
M840TR wrote:

it's better translated as bodywork. Non-specific but most likely referring to the engine cover/sidepod/undercut regions
Well, that’s what I thought initially. There's not long to wait, so you can exhale and just wait. What do you think about the engine hood? Will there be an option ala Red Bull? Maybe in this zone the team will also use water slides, in addition to those already available in the sidepods.

CjC
CjC

UPVC cladding? Are Mclaren venturing into the highly competitive soffit and fascia industry?? :lol:
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

M840TR wrote:
LionsHeart wrote:
Yeah, I'm assuming sidepods and maybe also engine cover.

Still, seeing is believing but everything does point to this mythical front of car upgrade not appearing yet.
Last edited by mwillems on 01 May 2024, 17:20, edited 1 time in total.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

mwillems

CjC wrote:
01 May 2024, 15:23
UPVC cladding? Are Mclaren venturing into the highly competitive soffit and fascia industry?? :lol:
They've a Carbon Fibre based Double Glazing company on the side, trying to make up until Mastercard arrive.

Lando pops out on a Tuesday, delivers leaflets, knocks on doors...

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

CjC wrote:
01 May 2024, 15:23
UPVC sheathing with McLaren logo? Curious.

This will be the most expensive cladding made from this material.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
01 May 2024, 15:31
M840TR wrote:
LionsHeart wrote:
Yeah, I'm assuming sidepods and/or engine cover.

Still, seeing is believing but everything does point to this mythical front of car upgrade not appearing yet.
If the changes to the bottom are significant, then the side pontoons and engine hood will be changed. But this is just a guess. Perhaps something else will be changed mechanically, but we are unlikely to see this in the official sheet. It seems that only aerodynamics are specified there. Although the same brake air ducts can be changed.

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
01 May 2024, 15:47
mwillems wrote:
M840TR wrote:

If the changes to the bottom are significant, then the side pontoons and engine hood will be changed. But this is just a guess. Perhaps something else will be changed mechanically, but we are unlikely to see this in the official sheet. It seems that only aerodynamics are specified there. Although the same brake air ducts can be changed.
Yes I think it will be the usual middle of car change. Will we see the Red Bull "Shoulders" on top of the engine cover creating another waterslide to the Rear and Beam wing? Who knows. It would be interesting if it is there.

If this is an all around change that will improve downforce in all areas (When the floor is fed and maintained well) then this car will be frighteningly fast in the high speed corners.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
01 May 2024, 17:19
LionsHeart wrote:
01 May 2024, 15:47
mwillems wrote:

Yes I think it will be the usual middle of car change. Will we see the Red Bull "Shoulders" on top of the engine cover creating another waterslide to the Rear and Beam wing? Who knows. It would be interesting if it is there.

If this is an all around change that will improve downforce in all areas (When the floor is fed and maintained well) then this car will be frighteningly fast in the high speed corners.
So far I have the same thoughts about this. And regarding the speed in fast corners: now only Red Bull is ahead of us in this component?

mwillems

In the AMuS article it say that this is part of the Imola upgrade that has been released early.

This is what I was suggesting previously and that they might have just brought the parts they figured wouldn't need much of a setup change.

We're yet to see if this is the truth, but if AMuS is saying this then it bodes well.