Adrian Newey Leaves Red Bull Racing

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Xyz22
Xyz22

Re: Adrian Newey Leaves Red Bull Racing

Just wanted to add that according to reports one of the reasons why Newey decided to leave Red Bull is that Horner made some comments about him not being a key factor in the last few years. Newey's wife also expressed this on Twitter when some news broke out of Adrian just operating on the sides.

dialtone
dialtone

coaster wrote:
01 May 2024, 23:17
Ferrari is all the gossip, but with Eddie giving counsel to Adrian I will propose;
1/ Ed was distraught at his teams sale to Midland, its unfinished business.
2/ Adrian helped Honda repackage the PU and thus help change their fortunes.
3/ Adrian has stated on 2 separate ocassions the he turned down Ferrari citing his desire to remain in the UK.
4/ Aramco has brought a majority stake in Aston Martin F1 bringing a warchest of funding.
5/ Honda is giving full works backing.
Adrian is a sentimental guy with freindships being a key part of his character.
Factory in the uk, close freind mediating the deal and both having close ties to Honda, I'm just saying dont rule it out.
Holy copium. Of that list maybe 5 is the one that has a bit of an inkling of being right. Everything else is just the purest wishful thinking.
This article is probably why he figured it's time to leave. When UK press gets this toxic it's time to go.

Everyone knows it's not one person that designs the whole car, it's a pointless argument. Like the article writes he designed front and rear suspensions of the RB18 and I repeat again that when that piece arrived on 2nd pre-season test, the car became 1s/lap faster.

Again, I hope he comes to Ferrari or leaves the sport, but man you cannot try to diminish his role at RBR. Crazy.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Xyz22 wrote:
02 May 2024, 00:45
Just wanted to add that according to reports one of the reasons why Newey decided to leave Red Bull is that Horner made some comments about him not being a key factor in the last few years. Newey's wife also expressed this on Twitter when some news broke out of Adrian just operating on the sides.
Yes, the "best TP in F1" managed to annoy the most successful technician in F1 so much that he's leaving. Not actually that great a bit of management by Horner. Sure, Horner is keeping the rest of the team on side by praising them, but I bet a few are now thinking "if he throws Adrian under the bus, what hope have I got?".
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Watto
Watto

Xyz22 wrote:
02 May 2024, 00:45
I’ll give his wife’s comment a little credit but honestly any of the other leaks I’m pretty cautious of.

Watto
Watto

CHT wrote:
02 May 2024, 01:24
Watto wrote:
01 May 2024, 13:42
chrisc90 wrote:
01 May 2024, 13:30
I think by time Adrian can work on the new regulations, too much time will have passed to be truly effective. IF he joins another team
If he finishes up in early 25 jan/early Feb I think there is plenty of influence he could have if he goes
Newey is leaving RBR in good terms and certainly not rushing to leave because he has suddenly fallen in love with Ferrari. As CTO, AN is a very meticulous guy, so this plan of stepping away from F1 was certainly not an afterthought but something the was decided between him and the team before his last contract extension in 2023.

The official retirement age in the UK is 66 and average life expectancy for man in UK is around 79. After spending his entire life working under great pressure in F1 and achieving huge success at RBR, I am sure he will want to leave the sport at the top of his career to enjoy a great life with his family and traveling around the world to watch motor racing as VIPs instead of team member.

Seeing LH talking about the prospect of AN joining Ferrari, I am afraid he may just become less welcome in Ferrari garage.
Moved this here cause I think the mods want it so

If it was as simple that I think Neweys statement would have referred to his retirement or the like

He may well just walk away and retire, but I think that he neglected terms of gardening leave opens the chance he is open to going elsewhere if the circumstances are right.

Ferrari seem a decent chance there the big part would be he want to put up with the pressure of Ferrari. The perhaps bonus is they are pretty well run now so would not be a from the ground up rebuild for him would be more the final piece of the puzzle if it happened

CHT
CHT

Official retirement age in UK is 66 and Adrian Martin Newey, OBE will be turning 66 in Dec.
AN departure from F1 is not something RBR didnt know is coming and certainly it was something been discussed and decided back in 2023 when AN sign a 2 years extension of his contract to 2025.

From what I read, AN is leaving RBR in very good terms, and even talk about his close business and personally relationship with Christian Horner etc. For a proud british man like AN, I will be very surprise if he decides to take on a new role in another team. As his age, he should be starting to think about becoming a business owner himself and set up something he under his name, not as employee of AM or Ferrari.

dialtone
dialtone

Adrian Newey Leaves Red Bull Racing

Do you folks think wealthy people think about retirement in the same way normal people/employees do?

You think if you did the job you loved and had millions in the bank, you would be counting down the time to officially retirement age in the uk? As if that mattered with the wealth you already have?

Let’s be serious.

Edit: one of the most boring things to do is life after work without hobbies. AN is in the position of being able to work the hours he wants, on what he wants and be paid millions.

AN is also an intensely competitive engineer.

You are all delusional if you think he’s about to retire. And if he did retire, actually remote chance, I’d be happy for him, without him Ferrari would have dominated half of each decade of the last 3, finally free.

CHT
CHT

dialtone wrote:
02 May 2024, 03:53
Do you folks think wealthy people think about retirement in the same way normal people/employees do?

You think if you did the job you loved and had millions in the bank, you would be counting down the time to officially retirement age in the uk? As if that mattered with the wealth you already have?

Let’s be serious.

Edit: one of the most boring things to do is life after work without hobbies. AN is in the position of being able to work the hours he wants, on what he wants and be paid millions.

You are all delusional if you think he’s about to retire. And if he did retire, actually remote chance, I’d be happy for him, without him Ferrari would have dominated half of each decade of the last 3, finally free.
Unfortunately Adrian Newey is not a person who is driven or attracted by wealth or fame and or is he looking forward to be like an Elon Musk or a person having the most expensive sailing boat on the planet.

Realistically, there is really nothing left in F1 for him to achieve and his accomplishment in RBR will forever be remembered as the highlight of his career, and RB19 as the best car in the history of F1.

What he will likely to do is to perhaps spend more time driving race cars, attending races events, write a new autobiography, or spend more time with his wife in South Africa.

AN is too smart to regret wasting his golden years pursuing something that is meaningless to his life right now.

dia6olo
dia6olo

CHT wrote:
02 May 2024, 04:21
dialtone wrote:

Let’s be serious.

Unfortunately Adrian Newey is not a person who is driven or attracted by wealth or fame and or is he looking forward to be like an Elon Musk or a person having the most expensive sailing boat on the planet.

Realistically, there is really nothing left in F1 for him to achieve and his accomplishment in RBR will forever be remembered as the highlight of his career, and RB19 as the best car in the history of F1.

What he will likely to do is to perhaps spend more time driving race cars, attending races events, write a new autobiography, or spend more time with his wife in South Africa.

AN is too smart to regret wasting his golden years pursuing something that is meaningless to his life right now.
I have a feeling many of your comments are not going to age well at all :wink:

dialtone
dialtone

Why would he even spend time to negotiate the gardening leave to retire?

Dunlay
Dunlay

dialtone wrote:
02 May 2024, 04:39
He is certainly joining another F1 team.

It might be Ferrari as he had a few run ins in the past, but dropped it due to reasons best known to him.

Whichever team he joins, 2027 would be the car which would bear his complete signature. Starting mid 2025 for the design of 2026 would be too late.

CHT
CHT

Dunlay wrote:
02 May 2024, 05:01
dialtone wrote:

It might be Ferrari as he had a few run ins in the past, but dropped it due to reasons best known to him.
Which team? As what role and replacing who?

dialtone
dialtone

CHT wrote:
Dunlay wrote:
dialtone wrote:

He probably would replace Rory Byrne who has been playing this role at Ferrari from Thailand while being 80 years old.

CHT
CHT

dia6olo wrote:
02 May 2024, 04:36
CHT wrote:
02 May 2024, 04:21
dialtone wrote:

Let’s be serious.

I have a feeling many of your comments are not going to age well at all :wink:
Backed in Jul 2023, I actually commented about AN retirement in 2025.
So I am going to stick with what I said about AN retirement.

viewtopic.php?p=1149320&hilit=retire#p1149320

CHT
CHT

dialtone wrote:
02 May 2024, 05:10
CHT wrote:
Dunlay wrote:

He probably would replace Rory Byrne who has been playing this role at Ferrari from Thailand while being 80 years old.
Why would AN want to spend his time mentoring Ferrari engineers whom he doesn't know or care? AN cant be so desperate and poor to be looking around mentoring for money