2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

I went to bed. I hope there will be photos by morning, but if not, then we’ll see only in practice.

_DM_

BMMR61 wrote:
02 May 2024, 16:42

Quite! The team management have taken a strong stand of building around key personnel with internal promotion, bolstering only where necessary with new signings. We won't know clearly how the Rob Marshall appointment is working for a while yet, if and when specific acknowledgements are made. There is a strong unity going here from Zak down, and including the drivers. The question of why not try to sign Newey is fairly simple. It would shift focus from the growth well under way since James Key and Andreas Seidl were let go more than a year ago. It would present issues with a management structure instigated by TP Stella. It would be questionable how and where Newey would fit in and what sort of role he would want in his likely last F1 assignment.

I am sure Zac has chatted in somewhat relaxed style with Adrian as they are friends with a number of common interests. If there were a natural affinity then that would be the way things flowed, Adrian won't be able to be shoe-horned into something to suit any team, he will be the master of his own destiny at this point. Personal chemistry will count for quite a lot too, it's been said that Stroll senior is the stumbling block at Aston Martin, just by way of example.
He can be as an advisor.
Like Helmut Marko, but Technical :D

mwillems

Hoffman900 wrote:
02 May 2024, 22:38
Pretty sure livery changes come out of their cost cap, so you’ll never see wholesale one off livery changes like you use to.
They form part of the contracts with the sponsors. OKX requested the chance to design a certain number of liveries per year. Last year they designed the liveries for Singapore and Japan.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Be amazing if we drop the Marlboro livery for Sennas 30 years anniversary when we go to Monaco. It seems the right thing to do - fingers crossed :)

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Yeeeee boy! Stella confirmed that the front suspension has been changed.

Well, at least here I got it right with the updates.

M840TR
M840TR

LionsHeart wrote:
03 May 2024, 15:22

He was talking about the change from last year to this year.
McLaren seemed to be the team that gave more continuity than last year. The Italian engineer wanted to tell us how this is not entirely true.

“From the point of view of continuity we say that there are important news. True, perhaps less flashy but certainly very demanding from a technical point of view. For example, the front suspension has changed significantly and has been an important technical and engineering challenge.”
https://f1ingenerale.com/f1/f1-aggiorna ... -sviluppi/

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

M840TR wrote:
03 May 2024, 16:01
LionsHeart wrote:

McLaren seemed to be the team that gave more continuity than last year. The Italian engineer wanted to tell us how this is not entirely true.

“From the point of view of continuity we say that there are important news. True, perhaps less flashy but certainly very demanding from a technical point of view. For example, the front suspension has changed significantly and has been an important technical and engineering challenge.”
Ahh, that's it. It's clear. And I was hoping that the shock absorber, springs and anti-roll bar would be redesigned.

Let me add: when I wrote this message, I also had a similar thought that perhaps there was a reference to the last season. But there was no such thing in that Twitter post, so the general belief was that the updates to the front end also meant the mechanical part.
Last edited by LionsHeart on 03 May 2024, 16:07, edited 1 time in total.

M840TR
M840TR

LionsHeart wrote:
03 May 2024, 16:05
M840TR wrote:
LionsHeart wrote:

Ahh, that's it. It's clear. And I was hoping that the shock absorber, springs and anti-roll bar would be redesigned.
To be clear, the FIA update list says the front suspension has been changed for Miami. But that's not what Stella was talking about in the interview.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

M840TR wrote:
03 May 2024, 16:06
LionsHeart wrote:
03 May 2024, 16:05
M840TR wrote:

To be clear, the FIA update list says the front suspension has been changed for Miami. But that's not what Stella was talking about in the interview.
Really curious! =D>

Edit: I am inclined to trust the FIA ​​sheet more than some media that could interpret Stella’s words in any way they want.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Significant updates! =D> Possibly spec B.

organic

Looks like the entire upgrade made it to Miami, and that included a front wing which they've been coy about. Maybe some of the front end issues will be resolved here

mwillems

Tomsky wrote:
20 Mar 2024, 12:05
mwillems wrote:
20 Mar 2024, 11:25
I'd expect the front wing at least.

We may also see a suspension geometry change and the flow conditioners behind the front wheels in the earlier upgrades released.
To change the geometry of the suspension, you need to pass a crash test. It's unrealistic.
Totally realistic in fact 🤣

Upgrade is huge.

organic

mwillems wrote:
03 May 2024, 16:33
Tomsky wrote:
mwillems wrote:
20 Mar 2024, 11:25
I'd expect the front wing at least.

We may also see a suspension geometry change and the flow conditioners behind the front wheels in the earlier upgrades released.
To change the geometry of the suspension, you need to pass a crash test. It's unrealistic.

Upgrade is huge.
Oh wow yeah I didn't notice the front suspension change. Big to change mid-season. I think only Mercedes have done this previously under the budget cap with Silverstone 2022 changes..
Could be a big step forward

mwillems

organic wrote:
03 May 2024, 16:27
Looks like the entire upgrade made it to Miami, and that included a front wing which they've been coy about. Maybe some of the front end issues will be resolved here
I suspect it is the beginning of the journey.

But it looks like this is the rest of the car that didn't make it to the start of the season.

You'd think that if the front wing wasn't ready they couldn't bring the other parts, as this will substantially change what is happening along most of the surfaces.

mwillems

organic wrote:
03 May 2024, 16:34
mwillems wrote:
03 May 2024, 16:33
Tomsky wrote:

Upgrade is huge.
Oh wow yeah I didn't notice the front suspension change. Big to change mid-season. I think only Mercedes have done this previously under the budget cap with Silverstone 2022 changes..
Could be a big step forward
The geometry might have been tested pre season if they had a good idea of what they were trying to achieve, I guess.

But I don't think geometry changes require crash testing anyway. Mclaren brought rear changes last year. And at Miami too, I think.