Mercedes W15

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Formula 1 fan
Formula 1 fan

Re: Mercedes W15

maygun wrote:
14 May 2024, 13:59
Formula 1 fan wrote:
14 May 2024, 10:33
Will Mercedes bring new sidepods to Imola race?
I've surprised when they didn't in Miami, whenever RB bring some floor edge update they always changed their sidepod as well, which hint that those two need to be in good harmony for performance gains.
Okay, thank you for answer, so it is expected that Mercedes will bring new sidepods, new rear wing and new beam wing for Imola race?

Paa

maygun wrote:
Formula 1 fan wrote:
I've surprised when they didn't in Miami, whenever RB bring some floor edge update they always changed their sidepod as well, which hint that those two need to be in good harmony for performance gains.
Maybe Mercedes only change 1 at a time, as they still searching for that harmony. Trying to sync one element to the other.
Red Bull change them together, because those already work well in pair.

ltitus8900
ltitus8900

maygun wrote:
Formula 1 fan wrote:
100% agree. Newey said it himself,
said many times that he does not understand why engineers don't design their parts in harmony with each other.

I mean Merc probably knows this perfectly but the budget cap is restricting them. They did say that they couldn't do more at the start because of this. Though it's clear to them that it works in harmony, they probably want to be more certain first. They can't AFFORD mistakes.

Luscion
Luscion

Lewis said they have upgrades here, new upgrades expected are new rear wing and beam wing but it all looks the same to me, unless i've missed something. Could be doing what they did in Miami and wait until tomorrow to put on the new parts

ltitus8900
ltitus8900

Luscion wrote:
16 May 2024, 18:35
Lewis said they have upgrades here, new upgrades expected are new rear wing and beam wing but it all looks the same to me, unless i've missed something. Could be doing what they did in Miami and wait until tomorrow to put on the new parts

This is what I'm talking about. I was going to add last night that I think their main issue isn't the concept but the balance. I think the front wing is fine but they have a hard time supporting the upper flap vortex and that front wake as it propagates down down the side of the car.

They mentioned rear down force as well and I was aware of this being a potential issue because of their rear suspension insecurity. They said that they were to conservative which let's me think that their rear end is fine. The upper beam wing element redesign, new rear wing detail, floor edge, and aggressive sidepod sculpting let's me know that they are very secure in their concept and it's now time to pile on the downforce. More specifically, that they are telling the truth when they said they're on top of what's wrong.
I love these updates. So far, they seem in line with what I was thinking.

des_1986
des_1986

Looks like re-profiled side pods

https://imgur.com/a/Mjr5eis

Luscion
Luscion

des_1986 wrote:
16 May 2024, 19:22
Looks like re-profiled side pods

Seems like it just the angle tbh, hopefully someone like albert or formuladata point out the changes, i cant see anything different and Merc could be doing the same thing they did in Miami where they didnt put the upgrades on when they first rolled out the assembled car

Formula 1 fan
Formula 1 fan

So, where is completely new rear wing which was announced for the race in Imola?

Luscion
Luscion

Formula 1 fan wrote:
16 May 2024, 21:07
So, where is completely new rear wing which was announced for the race in Imola?
I'd say wait until tomorrow, both McLaren and Merc put together the car with old spec parts first in Miami and then fp1 morning they had all the new parts

PlatinumZealot

Sad how archaic their sidepods flanks and rear wing flap are.

They took a retrogade step with their side pod flanks from 2023 in how the lower outboard part of the ramp does not have an undercut that sweeps out and up. You can see that RedBull, McLaren and Ferrari havw doubled down on this shape, while Mercedes abandoned it for simple straight undercut in this area.

The basic rear wing speaks for itself.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

ltitus8900
ltitus8900

I think I understand Merc's issue. Most teams use a larger diffusor inlet to create a more balanced diffusor load. I hope Merc's perspective isn't this...basic but, I think they are trying to go the opposite way and create a compromise. One where they use other means to maximize forward diffusor downforce while dedicating more of the venturi tunnel to maximize floor extraction.

This could be why they have an enormous vortex generator set up on the wide and why the next update was to then work on the rear, even though the rear is what they said the main issue is. I think this also explains why their front wing (to my eyes) is much larger than most. Certainly more complex. All in all, I do not think they understand how to correctly model these phenomena well enough to have their cake and eat it too.

El_KaPpa
El_KaPpa

New beam wing

Of course I struggle. I just don’t quit.

El_KaPpa
El_KaPpa

Luscion wrote:
16 May 2024, 21:29
Formula 1 fan wrote:
16 May 2024, 21:07
I'd say wait until tomorrow, both McLaren and Merc put together the car with old spec parts first in Miami and then fp1 morning they had all the new parts

They modified only the end plate of the rear wing
Of course I struggle. I just don’t quit.

Luscion
Luscion

Formula 1 fan
Formula 1 fan

So, no completely new rear wing for Mercedes, i was sure they would bring completely new rear wing for Imola race.