Red Bull RB20

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Farnborough
Farnborough
92
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:15 pm

Re: Red Bull RB20

Post

Owen.C93 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 1:59 pm
I think Pirelli set a 2deg limit on the rear, 3.5deg on the front anyway.

You’ll want less for traction probably.
Yes, think they (Pirelli) put more restriction on rear during early V6 phase with Mercedes giving problems in failing inner rear shoulder .... from recent memory.

It does seem that the 2022 rule set was responded to by RB with using notably conservative rear camber from the start, with others now appearing to take this on board in looking at race tire life prospects.

Hoffman900
Hoffman900
201
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:02 am

Re: Red Bull RB20

Post

The problem with looking at contact pattern during parc ferme is the car is unloaded from aero stand point.

I think it’s reasonable to assume the cars are making at least as much as they weigh, at some speed.

User avatar
Stu
Moderator
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:05 am
Location: Norfolk, UK

Re: Red Bull RB20

Post

Owen.C93 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 12:02 pm
Williams have similar features. Hasn’t been discussed much though.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GKX1aPqWMAA ... ame=medium
I was going to suggest Williams, the chassis side (above the floor entrance is a similar shape (getting wider as it moves down).

A lateral contraction is a contraction.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Farnborough
Farnborough
92
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:15 pm

Re: Red Bull RB20

Post

Hoffman900 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 4:50 pm
The problem with looking at contact pattern during parc ferme is the car is unloaded from aero stand point.

I think it’s reasonable to assume the cars are making at least as much as they weigh, at some speed.
Yes, understand this and I agree.

However, looking at them right from the outset in starting 2022 regulation, they seem to have designed around very low static camber initially, also when loaded to extreme lateral and really sunk into it's vertical travel, the RB appears to go /allow into positive camber without real detriment.
In comparison to others, that started 2022 with more "traditional" static camber, they all seem to have followed more to this direction.
It would appear to bleed off at the limits grip more gently by letting the tire roll over more onto outer sidewall, as comparison to higher absolute peak grip with more rapid and unpredictable release in extremes.

Also to make, ultimately, more use of tread gauge across the whole tire footprint, by potentially favouring longitudinal traction, less inner shoulder wear etc than greater camber allows.

It may even allow the chassis to be pivoted by rear movement under less aero load (slow corner at sharp angle) by fomenting rear grip elasticity in opposition to reliance, and subsequently, higher taxing of front tire and axle mechanical grip in that steering phase. Requires more driver acceptance of progressive rear movement and use of that characteristic to execute though.

KimiRai
KimiRai
223
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:08 pm

Re: Red Bull RB20

Post


Emag
Emag
75
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:56 pm

Re: Red Bull RB20

Post

KimiRai wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 5:54 pm
The floor edge looks interesting to say the least. Is it something they have run before or is it new?

Cs98
Cs98
33
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:37 am

Re: Red Bull RB20

Post

Emag wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 6:01 pm
KimiRai wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 5:54 pm
The floor edge looks interesting to say the least. Is it something they have run before or is it new?
Think it's the same as before. I can't see any changes on the car as shown.

User avatar
kediown
58
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:37 pm

Re: Red Bull RB20

Post

Upgrade weekend in Imola, including a new front wing and floor at Red Bull.
As far as I see the upgrades aren't fit yet

Emag
Emag
75
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:56 pm

Re: Red Bull RB20

Post

Cs98 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 6:05 pm
Emag wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 6:01 pm
KimiRai wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 5:54 pm
The floor edge looks interesting to say the least. Is it something they have run before or is it new?
Think it's the same as before. I can't see any changes on the car as shown.
Yeah, on a second look it seems like its the same. It was the first time I saw a close-up view.

KimiRai
KimiRai
223
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:08 pm

Re: Red Bull RB20

Post

Image


User avatar
lio007
316
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Austria

Re: Red Bull RB20

Post

The central section looks like a "diffusor in a diffusor" to me :)

In Comparison RB19:
Image
Image

User avatar
ringo
230
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:57 am

Re: Red Bull RB20

Post

Maybe the car is just shinier, but to me the parts look like they have made lighter.
The teams use different techniques to set up and mold their carbon composites.
Redbull have an interesting layup int he undercut of the sidepod. The fibers look as if they were very fine and randomized. Compared to sone sections that have the checkered pattern. Further still, the finish looks like it produces very thin and sharp components.
The new ferrari upgrades are also very thin pieces. Compared to a williams and alpine that have quite chunky and blunt bodywork.
For Sure!!

User avatar
FW17
169
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:56 am

Re: Red Bull RB20

Post

lio007 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 9:09 pm
The central section looks like a "diffusor in a diffusor" to me :)

In Comparison RB19:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F9ZkjC2WYAI ... name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F9ZkjC0XgAQ ... name=large
Mclaren diffuser looks much larger than the Red Bull because of the skinner gearbox

Image

Andi76
Andi76
415
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:19 pm

Re: Red Bull RB20

Post

FW17 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 4:22 am
lio007 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 9:09 pm
The central section looks like a "diffusor in a diffusor" to me :)

In Comparison RB19:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F9ZkjC2WYAI ... name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F9ZkjC0XgAQ ... name=large
Mclaren diffuser looks much larger than the Red Bull because of the skinner gearbox

https://i.imgur.com/zC6anNV.jpeg
I think the angle here deceives your perception somewhat. Both diffusers rise relatively similarly after the plank and are relatively similar in size.

User avatar
FW17
169
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:56 am

Re: Red Bull RB20

Post

Andi76 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 5:58 am
FW17 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 4:22 am
lio007 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 9:09 pm
The central section looks like a "diffusor in a diffusor" to me :)

In Comparison RB19:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F9ZkjC2WYAI ... name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F9ZkjC0XgAQ ... name=large
Mclaren diffuser looks much larger than the Red Bull because of the skinner gearbox

https://i.imgur.com/zC6anNV.jpeg
I think the angle here deceives your perception somewhat. Both diffusers rise relatively similarly after the plank and are relatively similar in size.
RB 20 gearbox seems to be same as RB 19

Image