2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
CjC
CjC

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

BMMR61 wrote:
26 May 2024, 10:37
Just (finally) watched qual. Brilliant! We have to be pleased/relieved/elated after a week of wondering if McLaren would show they can be quick anywhere. Then I come on the forum here and I can't believe the divisive rubbish. We don't need to get triggered by a grumpy Ferrari fan (who's always been a bit of a grump in my experience). Enjoy the day, today (tonight here) is another chance, don't let anyone steal your joy of being a proud McLaren fan.
Least you read the divisive rubbish. I’ve just read the first comment- replied, then realised there are afew pages of bitchin that I've missed :lol:
Just a fan's point of view

nbizinos
nbizinos

Zaamy wrote:
26 May 2024, 10:57
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/mclar ... /10615655/

Sounds like they're gonna remove the banners
Now let's just hope they pick the right "small areas"

bananapeel23

FittingMechanics wrote:
26 May 2024, 08:16
When you take best sectors, Oscar is P1. This could end up being one that got away.
Remember that the rumour from Ferrari is that Leclerc lost almost half a second to his Q3 pedal issues, not to mention the fact that he was forced to switch to his Bahrain engine after FP3, which is likely running at lower power because of reliability concerns.

Personally I don’t believe it, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he did lose a little bit of time to a loss of confidence and engine power.

That is not to take anything away from Piastri. Him being P2 in Monaco in his 2nd F1 season with a qualifier as amazing as Norris as his teammate is mighty impressive. I reckon he’s going to end up better than Norris overall around mid-2025.

Tomsky
Tomsky

BMMR61

Yeah, shuffled through a lot of it. Well it looks like we're going to have two drivers who will both be leading the McLaren charge from here on. Lando will tend to be slightly better in the races, Oscar slightly quicker some of the time in qualifying. Oscar sure has been impressive since Miami and I think we have a chance to pinch back a few points on RedBull all going well.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

bananapeel23 wrote:
26 May 2024, 11:34
FittingMechanics wrote:
When you take best sectors, Oscar is P1. This could end up being one that got away.
Remember that the rumour from Ferrari is that Leclerc lost almost half a second to his Q3 pedal issues, not to mention the fact that he was forced to switch to his Bahrain engine after FP3, which is likely running at lower power because of reliability concerns.

Personally I don’t believe it, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he did lose a little bit of time to a loss of confidence and engine power.

That is not to take anything away from Piastri. Him being P2 in Monaco in his 2nd F1 season with a qualifier as amazing as Norris as his teammate is mighty impressive. I reckon he’s going to end up better than Norris overall around mid-2025.
Yeah that 0.5s loss is just not possible.

I'm not bothered about others, I am just saying that what was in Piastri/McLaren control was almost enough for P1. In a. track like this it is the most important.

mwillems

It's a great video, thanks for posting.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mclaren111

FittingMechanics wrote:
26 May 2024, 08:50
Yeah, hard to argue with that.

Leclerc winning in Monaco is a great story. I feel much less disappointed as the pace of McLaren is not a fluke and they will have more chances in the future.

Could it be that Marshall suspension work is showing up on the car? It seems to go well over bumps and apparently he did that work in Red Bull?

I was thinking the same thing... 8)

the EDGE
the EDGE

FittingMechanics wrote:
26 May 2024, 11:57
bananapeel23 wrote:
26 May 2024, 11:34
FittingMechanics wrote:

Yeah that 0.5s loss is just not possible.

I'm not bothered about others, I am just saying that what was in Piastri/McLaren control was almost enough for P1. In a. track like this it is the most important.
I strongly believe all of the drivers have different strengths and weaknesses. Different cars have the same, even from the same team

The right driver in the right car at the right track at the right time leads to stronger performances, & vice versa

Piastri shows he’s great at setting-up a car for 1 lap pace, and more importantly he amazing at delivering at the right time

Norris is just as fast, if not faster over a single lap, but struggles to achieve that when it really counts

Lando’s big strength is tyre management. What ever the conditions, come rain or shine, he has a talent for getting the most out of the set over the stint

Both have long careers ahead of them, and in the right cars, at the right time, will shine brightly

It’s too early to say who’s going to have more silverware at the end of their careers, but I’m sure they’ll both have a lot of it, if they make the right team choices going forward

willmesquita

I am looking for a double podium. I don't know if a 1-2, 1-3 ou 2-3.

Important see McLaren keeping scoring more than Red Bull, few believe in a WCC as I.
To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone. ― Bruce McLaren

papayaorange.com.br

Darth-Piekus

From what I know Leclerc has the inside line. Unless he botches his start Oscar has little to no chance of passing in the 100 meters since the first corner. Oscar has to cover Sainz first to keep second and see if he can block him so Norris can pass but the ideal start is if both our drivers keep at least their positions and try to play with strategy.

mwillems

Yes, it's more likely a Ferrari will challenge a Mclaren than vice versa but you never know, horrible starts do happen. I'm not sure how this will play.

Starting on softs could be an option, but it's so hard to overtake so what is the point. Going long is the best option but still offers slim pickings as the Ferraris will do the same. Can a Lando start on hards work, play for the SC?
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

BMMR61

Could it be that recent performance gains are pointing to the new tools in the Woking shed being the sharpest of all F1 players. RedBull are suddenly getting upset by simulation issues causing issues like performance over kerbs and initial setup concerns. Max believes they have had issues for quite some time - here in article by Mark Hughes on The Race.
https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/why- ... o-f1-2024/

"Red Bull’s simulation of Monaco gave no suggestion that the car would struggle over the bumps, and so it arrived here with a Friday set-up that simply did not work. But for quite different reasons to that of Imola Friday last week. This is much more like Singapore ’23.

"But that was simply the last time this specific intolerance of bumps and big ride heights was exposed by cars good enough to take advantage. Verstappen is adamant the problem has been there for much longer than that. Since 2022, he says."

Bodes well for McLaren overhauling RedBull performance which we wouldn't have thought likely this early a month ago.

Mcl_G10
Mcl_G10

willmesquita wrote:
26 May 2024, 13:35
I am looking for a double podium. I don't know if a 1-2, 1-3 ou 2-3.

Important see McLaren keeping scoring more than Red Bull, few believe in a WCC as I.
Yes the WCC. I think the race is on and I expect Mcl and ferrari will close in on redbull from now until the end.

Mcl need to average around 6.7 points more than red bull per race till seasons end. Perez seems well out of it and even if max still wins alot of races both ferrari and mclaren will have both drivers around him. Throw a couple of 1-2 's for the chasers and redbull are swamped.

BMMR61

mwillems wrote:
26 May 2024, 13:54
Yes, it's more likely a Ferrari will challenge a Mclaren than vice versa but you never know, horrible starts do happen. I'm not sure how this will play.

Starting on softs could be an option, but it's so hard to overtake so what is the point. Going long is the best option but still offers slim pickings as the Ferraris will do the same. Can a Lando start on hards work, play for the SC?
I've read somewhere that Ferrari aren't totally happy about tyre life with this weekend's setup - maybe they have swapped out race pace for qualifying pace which is understandable. On McLaren's side, the ability to switch on the tyres will only have a small chance of leapfrogging the Ferrari(s) on the first lap, but Oscar is a good starter.