2024 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 24 - 26

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Big Tea

Re: 2024 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 24 - 26

They can not start making track specific rules. The regs for the series must me for the whole series.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

They could make the race shorter. This race could have been 55 laps.

It really shows what a feat it was for Leclerc to lose 2 of these from the pole.

Dunlay
Dunlay

NOTHING MAKES A 'RACE' IN MONACO. NOTHING. No rule changes can allow F1 cars to 'race' here. FIA should just get rid of this circuit. Just a gross waste of time and money, unwanted nuisance to public thst lives there and damage to environment.

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

Counterpoint. Peter Windsor said it was a spectacular day of racing. (10:30)

ringo

It should just be a rally or time attack on Sunday.
There are two sessions. The first 30 minutes half points are handed out for the top 5 fastest lap times. A dice it rolled to select 1 car from each time to take part.
The second 30 minutes half points handed out again but this time the other half of the grid take part.
A final 30 minute session is held for only the 10 point scorers and half points handed out.
Most points scored wins the weekend.
That's more than enough spice.
For Sure!!

langedweil

ringo wrote:
27 May 2024, 03:14
There are two sessions. The first 30 minutes half points are handed out for the top 5 fastest lap times. A dice it rolled to select 1 car from each time to take part.
The second 30 minutes half points handed out again but this time the other half of the grid take part.
A final 30 minute session is held for only the 10 point scorers and half points handed out.
I do not often agree with you, but this isnt rally weird. The best thing about Monaco is Q, so make it about that then ..
HuggaWugga !

doji desu
doji desu

Two sprints, Sat and Sun with qualifying finishing an hour before each. Might still be a boring procession but with two qualifying sessions there is a chance for some change ups.

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

ringo wrote:
27 May 2024, 03:14
Good idea. They could break it down by sector times too. You get points for each sector that you were the fastest on.

ringo

Yep. Someonw get rhe FIA on the phone.

Might as well have a time attack. The cars threading their way through the corners with the close camera angles is the best thing about Monaco.

Nothing happens at all in the race.
For Sure!!

PlatinumZealot

Seanspeed wrote:
26 May 2024, 23:49
There's no way to fix Monaco from a racing perspective. We just have to get used to the fact that overtaking here is outrageously difficult without some luck.

But I dont think F1 as a whole would hurt from having a 'one mandatory pitsop' rule. That's similar enough to what the point of mandating the use of two different compounds in the race is anyways. That comes with the expectation that there will be at least one stop in the race, but obviously we experience the rare situation here where a red flag ruins that at a track where tire wear is super minimal. Mandate at least one stop every race no matter what and it'll change nothing for basically any other race, while ensuring the rare situation like this still gets a bit of strategy intrigue.

I can think of no downsides.
An idea I once bandied about was to have special technical regs for Monaco that would make narrow suspension arms and skinny tyres mandatory. Cars would be 1700 mm wide and tyres 50mm (2 inch) narrower.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Watto
Watto

PlatinumZealot wrote:
27 May 2024, 05:17
Seanspeed wrote:
26 May 2024, 23:49
There's no way to fix Monaco from a racing perspective. We just have to get used to the fact that overtaking here is outrageously difficult without some luck.

But I dont think F1 as a whole would hurt from having a 'one mandatory pitsop' rule. That's similar enough to what the point of mandating the use of two different compounds in the race is anyways. That comes with the expectation that there will be at least one stop in the race, but obviously we experience the rare situation here where a red flag ruins that at a track where tire wear is super minimal. Mandate at least one stop every race no matter what and it'll change nothing for basically any other race, while ensuring the rare situation like this still gets a bit of strategy intrigue.

I can think of no downsides.
An idea I once bandied about was to have special technical regs for Monaco that would make narrow suspension arms and skinny tyres mandatory. Cars would be 1700 mm wide and tyres 50mm (2 inch) narrower.
I'd imagine in a cost cap era this would be unlikely. Tyre development and testing and teams desting/dev of the cars.

mandatory pit stops I think is something that should be done. Not so sure it changes the result that much but something and I don't really see a down side to it

DDopey
DDopey

Remove corners 10-11, enable drs from 9.

Vanja #66

Ah, the mandatory Monaco-is-bad when the race is dry :)
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

PinkFloydPulse

DRS 100% of the lap available, let’s see who has balls 😂😂😂
Team Fernando!

FW17

Maybe it is time that regulations are changed to all 3 tyre types be used in qualifying and race.