BMW Sauber F1.09

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
raceman

Re: BMW Sauber F1.09

wrcsti wrote:The drivers arse?

:lol:

where's the driver but?? :wtf:

kNt
kNt

Maybe they put the Engine ECU there.

scarbs

Yes many teams mount the triangular SECU in the section beneath the drivers legs. this is why the SECU is triangular, as Mac had it designed that way (pre SECU)to be mounted there.

BreezyRacer

ISLAMATRON wrote:Image
Am I the only guy that wants to walk up to this car with a jigsaw and cut the damn top off of those STUPID front end plates??? Do they not realize that any pressure buildup in their precious box creates lift on that upper surface? This is one case where ugly is as ugly does!

PNSD

I thought the flat plate on top induced downforce because of the rotating tyre?

BreezyRacer

PNSD wrote:I thought the flat plate on top induced downforce because of the rotating tyre?
http://images.gpupdate.net/large/117215.jpg

Look at this pic and you'll see that it's nowhere near the tire. If they are letting the tire determine airflow patterns onto the wing area they have it ALL WRONG. Still, I would LOVE to hear the reasoning behind this most successful aero design .. :P

PNSD

Me too, it just looks all wrong compared to the rest.

This is the reason for my previous post:

http://www.f1-forecast.com/pdf/CRANFIEL ... 20WING.pdf

PlatinumZealot

Well suppose there is no pressure build up in between those plates. The back wall looks like it ramps outward really smoothly.
The main function of the endplates might just be an air flow guide.
Maybe the pressure under the endplate is what it depends on to make down force....?? Or maybe all they depend on, is the middle of the wing.

Just some guesses..
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

BreezyRacer

n smikle wrote:Well suppose there is no pressure build up in between those plates. The back wall looks like it ramps outward really smoothly.
The main function of the endplates might just be an air flow guide.
Maybe the pressure under the endplate is what it depends on to make down force....?? Or maybe all they depend on, is the middle of the wing.

Just some guesses..
There definitely is positive pressure buildup in that box, and when that occurs it spreads that positive pressure to surrounding surfaces, thus creating lift on the underside of the top plate.

As they say aero starts at the front of the car. If the front is wrong, nothing else will fix it.

timbo

BreezyRacer wrote:There definitely is positive pressure buildup in that box, and when that occurs it spreads that positive pressure to surrounding surfaces, thus creating lift on the underside of the top plate.
And negative lift at the bottom plate. What's the problem?

BreezyRacer

timbo wrote:
BreezyRacer wrote:There definitely is positive pressure buildup in that box, and when that occurs it spreads that positive pressure to surrounding surfaces, thus creating lift on the underside of the top plate.
And negative lift at the bottom plate. What's the problem?
Everyone else figured out long ago to keep the good (the lower sill plate in this case) and ditch the part that hurts. I propose that to be the upper plate. Have you even seen them test anything other than this box? Yes, they've had variations but always with the box. If nothing else just put a hole in the box top and see if that helps. But they really should try SOMETHING. Last year they were on the verge of breaking thru and this year they are getting ready to withdraw from the series. This entire season the car has been a struggle. Look at the rest of the grid. Nobody else has even tested the stupid box idea, yet this team cling to it as if it were their secret weapon. On the face of it, it shouldn't work, and I think we can fairly say it ain't helping matters any.

PNSD

Didnt Honda test with it in pre-season?

astracrazy

Is that rear wing adjustable? Brawn style from spa? can't see properly

Scotracer

Here's the full Monza trim:

Powertrain Cooling Engineer

PNSD