Lotus Granted 13th Spot On 2010 Grid

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ESPImperium

Lotus Granted 13th Spot On 2010 Grid

Great to see a old marque return to the sport. Also i think it puts paid to Piquet GP taking over BMW Sauber. Still waiting for more details on this one.

axle

Re: Lotus Granted 13th Spot On 2010 Grid

ESPImperium wrote:Great to see a old marque return to the sport. Also i think it puts paid to Piquet GP taking over BMW Sauber. Still waiting for more details on this one.
I'm glad to see it - being a Norfolk boy... I still think we could see BMW's setup bought by Proton/Petronas and using the Lotus brand name.

Having said that the setup appears to be agreed already going it alone.
- Axle

raceman

Welcome, Lotus!

axle

As an aside; Can you really build a car from scratch in 5 months though?

They need to be testing in Feb at the latest, they have the engine fair enough...but no chassis (if they don't buy BMW's). With no real facilities can they really do it so late in the day?

Wonder if they will call on Lola ;)

I'm unhappy at the appointment of Gascoyne...whilst he will aide them getting up and running I don't think he should stay - look at FI's progress since he left - I know that people inside FI were not exactly upset by his leaving!

Maybe Stepney and Coglan could be hired LOL
- Axle

raceman

axle wrote:As an aside; Can you really build a car from scratch in 5 months though?

They need to be testing in Feb at the latest, they have the engine fair enough...but no chassis (if they don't buy BMW's). With no real facilities can they really do it so late in the day?

Wonder if they will call on Lola ;)

I'm unhappy at the appointment of Gascoigne...whilst he will aide them getting up and running I don't think he should stay - look at FI's progress since he left - I know that people inside FI were not exactly upset by his leaving!

Maybe Stepney and Coglan could be hired LOL

pardon, but the FIA must have selected Lotus after being satisfied that they will be on the grid in 2010; otherwise they wouldn't have granted them the entry!

YES, absolutely agree with your views on Gascoyne. He has the ability to get them up and running, but shouldn't stay as he will severely intervene in their on-track operations rather than concentrating on his own technical aspect.

+1 about the last point - Stepney and Coughlan will certainly help :wink:

axle

Indeed they must have a plan - and it will come out soon - wouldn't mind a job doing their IT if there are some going and they are down the road :)
- Axle

raceman

axle wrote:wouldn't mind a job doing their IT if there are some going and they are down the road :)

best luck buddy!!! [-o<

timbo

Actually I'm not glad.
I feel shame for Lotus name and coclude that FIA is officialy nuts.
People! It's 15th of Septemeber and there's no R&D and technical center yet!
Sure Gascoyne has experience, but, hey, at this point the 2010 cars are finalized or at worst at the latest stages of development!

axle

timbo wrote:Actually I'm not glad.
I feel shame for Lotus name and coclude that FIA is officialy nuts.
People! It's 15th of Septemeber and there's no R&D and technical center yet!
Sure Gascoyne has experience, but, hey, at this point the 2010 cars are finalized or at worst at the latest stages of development!
As Raceman suggested there must be something in the works to make the FIA confident that they will be there come March.

Maybe they will work with one of the teams that wasn't selected...maybe they will buy IP from an established team...no idea...but there surely must be something...we'll just have to wait and see.
- Axle

timbo

axle wrote:Maybe they will work with one of the teams that wasn't selected...maybe they will buy IP from an established team...no idea...but there surely must be something...we'll just have to wait and see.
This "something" better be complete design for 2010 so they can start manufacturing of the parts etc.
Otherwise they're in trouble.

modbaraban

axle wrote:they have the engine fair enough...
Or do they? According to Sam Collins of Lola, Cosworth is in trouble, not being able to build F1 engines at the moment. The CA2010 (or something) will be catastrophically uncompetitive, if Cosworth actually delivers any engines at all!

Being named just like that car company Lotus Cars I expected them to use Toyota engines as well, but then they probably wouldn't stand a chance with FIA.
raceman wrote:+1 about the last point - Stepney and Coughlan will certainly help :wink:
Nigel is probably too busy with Nissan's GT1 World Championship programme.
Last edited by modbaraban on 15 Sep 2009, 13:45, edited 2 times in total.

axle

modbaraban wrote:
axle wrote:they have the engine fair enough...
Or do they? According to Sam Collins of Lola, Cosworth is in trouble, not being able to build F1 engines at the moment. The CA2008 will be catastrophically uncompetitive, if Cosworth actually delivers any engines at all!

Being named just like that car company Lotus Cars I expected them to use Toyota engines as well, but then they probably wouldn't stand a chance with FIA.
the Cosworth will be "new" I believe CA2010 could actually surprise a few. I know that they went through a massive hiring phase recently...so I'd hope that the engine would get off the drawing board soon.

Then again yes there is the Toyota link - but Toyota will require a defreeze to be "wanted"
- Axle

xpensive

I wouldn't place too much faith in FIA's "due diligence", since they picked Manor, with MrM's buddy Nick Wirth-less,
ahead of Prodrive and Lola earlier this year.

Rumour has it one or two of those teams won't make it til 2010 anyway.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

astracrazy

Im surprised we haven't heard more regarding title sponsors for these new teams. They obviously have them already?

axle

astracrazy wrote:Im surprised we haven't heard more regarding title sponsors for these new teams. They obviously have them already?
Lotus will have Petronas/Proton and themselves as a given...so that's the major ones done...With BMW quitting the existing sponsorship deals for them are broken so Petronas will be free to move.
- Axle