camera for F1

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
Steven
Owner

camera for F1

hi

I'm currently searching for a new digital camera and may well be at Francorchamps this year for F1.
Last year I took pics with a digital IXUS (the very very first one ;) now almost 5 years old I think) but I experienced that most action images were flew (well not the background, but the cars) .. I figured that is due to the shutter speed being too slow (it was generally 1/180 . There are however not many options to set this manually.

What would you people recommend as a good camera for action shooting. Let's say up to $500 or something.

What should I look for? Special features, ... ??

manchild

First it needs to have manual exposure feature. One of the features should be automatic fireing that makes one snapshot after another in very short time period - 10 snapshots or more with just one click on a button. This enables you to catch action in progress (for example Kimi suspension breaking, car spinning etc.). Also, this feature allows you to start shooting a little before car appears so that you don't miss it (later you choose the best one from that group of snapshots).

There are also features like panoramic snapshot - rotate the camera for a certain angle, stop, take snapshot, rotate it more, stop, take another snapshot... and afterwards it automatically makes one big panoramic view from several snapshots. Stative is necessary to prevent blur from camera motion - your hands might start shaking when grid girls appear… :wink:

Check out this link, it is very helpful:

http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/price-4 ... tings.html

manchild

BTW, you got to follow the car with camera if shooting sideways and take snapshot in motion if you want to avoid blur (the moving object – car will be in focus while the background will be blurry). Exposure for moving objects must be as short as possible.

manchild

If it is sunny, best snapshots are made if sun is behind you or at least a little bit sideways...

No more about this, sorry for multiple posts but I can't remember it all at once. Hope you don't mind.

Steven
Owner

well thanks
What's the deal with exposure? is that related to shutter time?

PS: If you post something you can edit your post afterwards though instead of having to post one after another ;)

RH1300S

Exposure is related to a combination of apeture and shutter speed. Big apeture can get the same exposure with a fast shutter speed, this (I think) limits the depth of field (how much of the background/foreground can be in focus). A small apeture needs a slower shutter to let in enough light - this gives a greater depth of field, but images are more likely to have motion blur.

If your digi camera has manual options on the settings, you can choose a shutter speed/apeture to suit how you want the pic to come out. I think most digi cameras have pre-set options for sports photography/landscape etc.

BTW - I have recently bought a Fuji Finepix S7000 - very pleased with the quality.

I'm not a photographer, so stand to be corrected.........

Monstrobolaxa

manchild wrote:BTW, you got to follow the car with camera if shooting sideways and....
This is called "panning"!

manchild

Exposure = how long the shutter is opened. The longer it is opened more blur will appear if the objects are in motion (That is why at weddings and similar occasions the photographer asks people to stand still). If you’re taking snapshot of motionless object than it is better to use longer exposure for that will enable more time for light to reach whatever it reaches in digital cameras :wink:

Amount of aperture opening should be set according to distance of object but it also can define focus on object or on background. As the amount of aperture opening decreases depth sharpness increases and vice-versa. Also, as the focused object distances from the camera the depth sharpness increases.

If you want to emphasize the speed of the car in motion than you can use longer exposure & larger aperture while following the car with camera and taking snapshot (without stopping to click). If you want to catch as much of the background as possible you should reduce exposure and reduce aperture to minimum still following the car and taking snapshot without stopping.

You can do all this without following the car (fixed position of the camera) but than the blur will be greater than with following procedure described previously.

It is the opening of the shutter that begins and ends process of taking snapshot. As soon as the shutter starts opening the light starts penetrating into camera and the moment the shutter is closed the process of taking snapshot is over. Time of the exposure = speed of shutter you're mentioning.

BTW 1, I know that I can edit posts but that seams like cheating to me because I don’t know if someone has already read it before I’ve edited it. Now I’ve done it for I mixed exposure and aperture in original post.

BTW 2, I'm not photographer also, so stand to be corrected :wink:

Steven
Owner

RH1300S wrote:BTW - I have recently bought a Fuji Finepix S7000 - very pleased with the quality.
Have you already tried to take a picture of an object passing by at 200km/h ?
I am also (still) very pleased of my IXUS but it's not really good for F1

Monstrobolaxa

A friend of mine has a Nikon D70 (almost 1000 euros + plus the 300mm lens) can't really say if it's good for F1....cause he only uses it for plane spotting and at airshows!

I use a Nikon N70 for F1....I have some reasonable pics...though it's not a digital camera!...and it's already 7 or 8 years old!

RH1300S

Tomba wrote:Have you already tried to take a picture of an object passing by at 200km/h ?
No :wink: :D

Mikacouli

You will not have a good picture unless you have a SLR camera.
I have a canon 10d with several lenses.
Canon 70-200 2.8 IS USM
Canon300 mm F4L
Canon 85 mm
canon 24-70 mm f2.8

I have taken some nice pictures and mostly in spa.
http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Album=TIZX7KF3
http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Album=QW8XF8LG

Last year i didn't have the 70-200 so this year the pictures will be better. This weekend I will go to the 24hours of spa francochamps to practice ahead of the formula one grand prix

But this is not in the price cathegory that you want. Only one lens costs me more than 1200 euros. It's prette expensive. :?
Last edited by Mikacouli on 28 Jul 2005, 14:13, edited 1 time in total.
all hopes on the MP4/24

Lauda

well done!!! really nice pics! :D

Yaquiya

Mikacouli wrote:You will not have a good picture unless you have a SLR camera.
I agree you here, but i don't have a SLR camera and I took some great pics at Barcelona's tests :D (it's a bit difficult, but you must be patient!)(i'm very proud of them :lol:)It's obvious you can't compare them to Mikacouli's, but for me is enough (though i'm looking for a SLR when they were cheaper :D )
This one is from GP2 race, at the end of the finish line at Montmeló :D
Personally, I enjoy the RBR's one :D :lol:
My camera is Kodak Dx6440 and I can play with the manual features because i can put the velocity at 1/2000 8)

Mikacouli

You can always have a look on ebay. You will be amazed what a Canon 10D can do. :wink:
You have good pictures though with the material you have to do it with. I once started with a nikon digi cam.

Ps: Try to look at your iso :wink:
all hopes on the MP4/24