New laptop - need suggestions...

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
f1.redbaron

New laptop - need suggestions...

I'm currently trying to replace my old laptop and I need some suggestions. Since I see that there is a number of people on this forum who use AutoCAD, I figured that this might be the best place for me to ask this question. Basically, I need a laptop that will last me for a couple of years (hopefully). This is what I (think I) need:

- I'm not a big fan of these, new 15.4" + screens, so I would like to stay within the 14" range.
- HDD - not that important, but at least 60GB.
- RAM - whatever is necessary to use AutoCAD (never used it before, starting pretty soon)...I'm guessing 512MB?
- Graphic card - again, not sure
- Processor - ideally P4, I haven't seen any with a 14" monitor, so a Centrino
- Sound card - it's a laptop, not a home theatre system, so not important
- Price - $1700-1800 CAD (1400-1500USD)

Something like this:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetai ... atid=20354

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetai ... atid=20354

Any suggestions?

Thanks

P.S. beside CAD, I plan to use Excel (basically MS Office), Internet, e-mail...no games!

Monstrobolaxa

I'm using CATIA....and I have 512 Mb...though it's not enough for very complex shapes! I talked to Reca (for the newbies....he's another of the famous/pioneer members of the forum) and he's had a F2005 (Ferrari) to mesh and it takes around 1,3 Gb of ram to generate....so Ram wise the maximum you can get.....graphics card....maximum size you can get.......processor....P4....as fast as u can get!!!

All other aspects come second!

I know I'm talking about a 2500 dollar computer....but if your thinking of doing something complex buy something that can cope with it!

Screen wise I have a 17" which at the time...2years ago was very big for a laptop!!!

Though a 2 year old laptop:

40 Gb - hd
512 ram @400 (can't remeber the corret value but was over 133 and over 400 :lol: )
32Mb graphics card (also something rare on laptops at the time)
P4 - 2,6 Ghz
DVD-burner - (also very rare at the time)

edit: though I live in Portugal....I go to Canada every summer (I also lived there a few years back...in Edmonton) to visit my dad's friends....and IMO Future Shop has a bigger selection of laptops then Best Buy

TALK TO TOMBA.......he's the computer guy around here!!! :twisted:
Last edited by Monstrobolaxa on 16 Sep 2005, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.

West

I heard HP's aren't good. My friend's friend says it crashes a lot.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

f1.redbaron

Monstrobolaxa,

Futureshop and Best Buy are the same (in Canada). They have exactly the same online stock. Store stock varies, yes, but since I have about 5 of those stores within 30km of where I live, it doesn't really matter where I go. Prices are going to be exactly the same, and as far as stock goes, if there isn't something in one store, there is a chance I'll find it in another one.

As far as RAM goes, yeah, I kind of figured that I'll need a lot of RAM. The good thing about both laptops is that their RAM memory is expandable to 2 GB.

Screen size - well, to me, the whole idea behind a laptop is mobility. That is why I'm not so sure I want to buy a laptop with a 17" monitor. I don't need a suitcase to carry around :D

-------------
West,

Actually, I heard the same thing. Recently, I was watching the business news and I heard about their profits (or lack thereof), and I heard about the possible job cuts - I believe that they said that HP is looking to reduce their costs by over 1 billion dollars. When I hear news like that, it makes me nervous - I don't want to buy a product made by a pissed off worker whose pink slip will come into effect 3 minutes after he finishes my laptop :D

Thanks to both of you for your help.

Cheers.

Steven
Owner

redbaron...

you have, like most other people looking for a laptop a real problem in selecting one. Running CFD vs portability. Those two terms aren't very good friends.

For your different things, considering what you like to do here's what I suggest (and trust me, I study computer science):

portable (so long life, lower weight):
- Intel Centrino. You better take a powerful model. The centrino platform is simple the best choice here.
- for longer life you need an onboard graphics card, but for CFD or games that's not really recommended ;)

performance:
- without a doubt go for an AMD Ahtlon 64 Mobile. Those are top notch, consume less power, are more powerful and most of the time a little bit cheaper. Intel is simply not in the same league at the moment with the P4.
- as graphics: get a X700(pro) mobile or something

In both cases you should really go for 1GB of RAM, it's not important for your battery life and will greatly enhance performance in everything.
Also, there is almost always onboard sound so you shouldn't worry about that.
HDD: not important for battery life, pick what you want

ps: whatever you do, DO NOY BUY packard bell !

Cyco

Processor types

f1.redbaron; If there is any way to avoid a Centrino prosessor do so, in a laptop this may mean you will need to get a AMD.

There is a good article in Racecar Engineering V15N10 (latest) on advice for purchasing hardware for CFD. One of the other things they mentioned was to make sure your graphics card is optimised for CAD/CFD as most are optimised for gaming.

What about the Acer Ferrari laptop ? It must be some serious piece of machinery if it carries the Ferrari logo =)

/ Fx

P.S Relax it was a joke!

manchild

This has nothing to do with my views on temporary Ferrari but the ACER my friend recently bought (Centrino... something, something... :wink: ) had awful display quality that you needed a gyroscopic stabilization in order to detect the colors and be able to read the text!

One degree more or less and you'll see what you'd see on LSD not on LCD! :lol: