Mercedes GP - Inauguration and 1st season

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ESPImperium

Mercedes GP - Inauguration and 1st season

Button to McLaren, Heidfeld and Rosberg to Mercedes Benz-Brawn???

Mod note: This thread was originally named 'Mercedes Benz buy Brawn GP'.
Last edited by Steven on 16 Nov 2010, 13:38, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Can we link to our news please? It was up long before this post.

Fil

Re: Mercedes Benz Buy Brawn GP

well this is no longer part of the silly season, its confirmed!

From James Allen,
"Mercedes has confirmed that Brawn will be its works team next year. Cars will be Silver Arrows. McLaren will get Merc engines to 2015"
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

imightbewrong

McLaren will retain its engine supply deal with Mercedes-Benz for at least another six years, despite the German car company's new involvement at Brawn GP.
With Mercedes switching its main focus to Brawn GP, it has also been announced that the McLaren Group will purchase the 40 per cent shareholding that Daimler AG currently has in the team. This will take place in a phased process to be completed before 2011.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80172

kilcoo316

ESPImperium wrote: Button to McLaren, Heidfeld and Rosberg to Mercedes Benz-Brawn???

Raikkonen to WRC?

Fil

Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

WhiteBlue

The switch is 100% done. All that McLaren will get is free engines in 2010 and 2011. From 2012 to 2015 they have an option to buy engines if they want. Merc must supply if the option is pulled.

All the previous money flow including Sponsors from the Merc side like Mobile, other big German companies who are keen to be on a German car, 50% of the drivers salaries and development subsidies are gone now and will be spent with Mercedes GP in the future.

Dennis and Ohje indeed had a preferred option for the Mercedes owned equity and are paying 200 mil$ which is about the same they got initially. In Germany AMuS is saying they will certainly try to get Button. Heidfeld isn't in the plan for MercGP
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

xpensive

Doubt if it's that easy, the way I understand, we are still talking about a one-sided (Mercedes) termintion of a contract.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

freedom_honda

WhiteBlue wrote: Dennis and Ohje indeed had a preferred option for the Mercedes owned equity and are paying 200 mil$ which is about the same they got initially. In Germany AMuS is saying they will certainly try to get Button. Heidfeld isn't in the plan for MercGP
Norbert Haug admitted Mercedes is interested in Heidfeld. But I assume Mercedes don't really need TWO german drivers in the team, and Merc. probably wouldn't mind to pay Button a few extra mil. I really hope Button doesn't go to McLaren. =S

WhiteBlue

I think Ron Dennis is right in saying that it is a win win. The decision to have competing road cars has driven this split. I believe that the road car decision isn't one sided at all. Dennis has a clear vision of Scuderia McLaren. That would have never worked with Merc. Brawn is happy to take a 24% equity share together with Fry. He brings 60 mil FOM money to the table for 2010. On the other side he can expect to see his company well financed and invested for many years. As long as he wants to work in motor racing he can do it with a very solid foundation.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Fil

From the BrawnGP.com MB statement,

Here's why they've rushed into this for 2010..
"Mercedes-Benz resumes its marvellous motor racing history on the 75th anniversary of the Silver Arrows..."

Obvious hint for the 2010 livery
"...Mercedes wants to continue the tradition in the style of these flawless Silver Arrows"
WhiteBlue wrote:I think Ron Dennis is right in saying that it is a win win. The decision to have competing road cars has driven this split. I believe that the road car decision isn't one sided at all. Dennis has a clear vision of Scuderia McLaren.
yep, McLaren made their decision with the development of the MP4-12C. At that point their shareholder was alienated, & today inevitable.

Richard

From the primary source ... http://www.mclaren.com/latestnews/mclar ... rticle=380
McLaren wrote: Merc engine supply until 2015.

The team will continue to be known as Vodafone McLaren Mercedes, its distinctive silver-with-red livery will remain unchanged, and Mercedes-Benz will continue as both an engine supplier and a partner.

Transfer of Merc shares back to McL in 2010 and 2011
So that's 6 years for McL to develop/acquire in house engine capability? I guess any cash will go towards buying the shares back in years 1 & 2, then they can start to think about funding their own engines in years 3 to 6?

Rob W

As I said in another thread, McLaren would always end up with their shares back - and agreed value on shares when there is really only one possible buyer is almost always below what you'd get if it was a truly open-market sale. This is simply the hit Mercedes were willing to take to go into running their own team. Good on them for making such a big change.

Ross Brawn will be signed into a long-term deal without doubt.

Wonder what the paint-scheme will look like? McLaren's statement makes a point to say their colour scheme will continue - almost counting out McLaren-Brawn doing the full silver arrows kit many would expect to see.

WhiteBlue

Rob W wrote:Wonder what the paint-scheme will look like? McLaren's statement makes a point to say their colour scheme will continue - almost counting out McLaren-Brawn doing the full silver arrows kit many would expect to see.

Paint scheme will be full silver. Expect it to be much like Ferrari red. With sponsor logos the only mod. No fancy livery as we are used from McLaren IMO.

Richard

Rob W wrote:agreed value on shares when there is really only one possible buyer is almost always below what you'd get if it was a truly open-market sale. This is simply the hit Mercedes were willing to take to go into running their own team. Good on them for making such a big change.
Also, today's valuation of the team's value will be a lot less than 18 months ago so that helps Ron. If rumours are correct that the shares haven't changed in price, then Ron has made a financial killing because he's got the development and investment for free (and no inflation either!)