Sauber C29

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
marinopc

Sauber C29

Since Sauber has been confirmed by the FIA as the 13th team of the 2010 grid, I'm proud to open this topic to talk about the new creation of Hinwil's factory: the Sauber Ferrari C-29.

Slife

Re: Sauber C29

Wasn't their 2005 car the C-24, therefore meaning their new car should be the C-25 ?

Callum

Slife wrote:Wasn't their 2005 car the C-24, therefore meaning their new car should be the C-25 ?
It depends if you count successive cars, or years.

Fil

Please remember the team was still part Sauber in the BMW-owned days, hence the -29 designation.

The C29 will have been developed thru the '09 season, so it is primarily a BMW-funded design. Initially i thought that is a good thing, but the '09 dog makes me question that.

Fingers crossed for a Honda-esque legacy left at Sauber. Just not sure if the Fisichella rumours are the right way to go for the team.

Heidfeld or Fisi..? Who would be the preferred experienced driver for Sauber in 2010?
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

majicmeow

Jarno and Fisi!! :) Italian dream team :D Sauber doesnt need Nick... reliable and steady as she goes, but he's not championship material. Better to get two others relativly fast guys for the price of one IMHO...

sticky667

right and Trulli and Fisi are champ material?

WhiteBlue

I think the Sauber can be at the top of the mid field teams going by the late 2009 performance increases. I think BMW just missed the DDDs very badly and had to change the whole aero concept to make that work. They were caught out a bit and sold themselves under par.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

walter

BLAH! I am tired of trulli, fisi or heidfeld... sign them up and you get nothing spectacular, no surprises, I'd rather take a gamble with a young, maturing driver and possibly be disappointed with their performance than sign an old reliable B class driver. and if money is the issue, then such an option may even be cheaper.

Rod_in_Chile

weren't the biggest performance gains last year due to ditching KERS?

WhiteBlue

Rod_in_Chile wrote:weren't the biggest performance gains last year due to ditching KERS?
Humbug, biggest performance gains were made by adding DDDs.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

xpensive

WhiteBlue wrote:
Rod_in_Chile wrote:weren't the biggest performance gains last year due to ditching KERS?
Hey Ciro, someone forgot to say the "t-word", you'll never guess who? :lol:
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Rod_in_Chile

WhiteBlue wrote:
Seems to me the DDD didn't rally work that well until they repackaged the sidepods and that was when they ditched KERS

Fil

Rod_in_Chile wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:
Seems to me the DDD didn't rally work that well until they repackaged the sidepods and that was when they ditched KERS
no one thing works on its own.
of course it was a combination of redesigning the rear end to incorporate a DDD, as well as remove KERS, as well as reconfigure radiators/sidepods, as well as many more details.
trying to argue one detail is pointless.
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

xpensive

The way I understand it, BMW was the only team within FOTA to oppose postponing KERS for one year to the 2010 season.

Apparently they miss-judged their KERS-development somewhat, as well as missing the diffuser-train big-time, why they decided ditch KERS and focus on the latter, which had far more potential?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Fil

All the major teams seem to have:
-overestimated the advantage KERS would give,
-underestimated the disadvantage KERS caused for weight distribution,
-completely missed the DDD boat.

Getting onto that boat fixed 2 of 3 and only lost you 1, which obviously wasn't overly good to start with.
xpensive wrote:The way I understand it, BMW was the only team within FOTA to oppose postponing KERS for one year to the 2010 season.
KERS was much more relevant to their marketing strategy, as seen by the branding used on the cars during the season (Efficient Dynamics/Connected Drive).
If they won the championship (as they planned..!), it would have been a marketing coup for their road division to lever off.