2005 BMW M6

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
supertec

2005 BMW M6

I recently was reading Road and Track and came across an article featuring the new 2005 reintroduced BMW 6 series M6. I showed this to a couple of people but most say the body styling does nothing for them.. i highly disagree! with what the powerplant is under the hood i would choose this over some of the more known sports cars out there.

Formula 1 inspired BMW V10 developing 507BHP @ 7750RPM and 383lb-ft of torque into a seven, yes SEVEN speed sequential gearbox which can be controlled through F1 style steering wheel mounted paddle shifts or a tip-tronic style shift on the center console. Electronic features include Stability Control, Launch Control and Traction Control all of which can be turned off for some fun.

http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/bmw_m6.asp
"It's Villeneuve, the young man from Ontario, Canada.....no excuse me, that's Quebec, Canada." -Martin Brundle

joseff

Not that I have the money, but...

given the choice I'll take an M5 over the M6 any day.

West

I will not buy a BMW until they change their styling method. And Mercedes needs to be more reliable and I hate the way they steer.

That said, at around 100 grand, I could get a Porsche Carrera S for nearly the same amount. BMW will release a conventional stick maybe a year later after the M6 comes out.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

manchild

Note that I don’t have money but I’d never consider buying any M or AMG car as long as there is Porsche in same price range (same goes for Audi S and similar sport versions).

M and AMG cars tend to age much faster that Porsche. Old 911 is still a 911 – the head turner, while M and AMG of that age become noisy livingrooms on wheels with nothing unique but high consumption and expensive maintenance.

Scuderia_Russ

Merc all the way baby. Beamers are as common as my brothers mrs i'm afraid chaps, 507 h.p. powerplant or no 507 h.p. powerplant they are uninspiring i.m.o.
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

West

After driving a C240 in the states, that must be the most "artificial" steering ever made. So disappointing when I was planning to get a C350, but Lexus has a 3.5 that makes 305 hp. Probably going to get an IS350 at the end of the year.

Spencifer_Murphy

The M6....is the only car BMW have made with their new sytling ethos...that I do like LOL....that said I think the stupid boot lid spoils it!
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

jaslfc

buying a M or AMG.. is for class.. if u wanna have fun on the road.. get a japanese turbo car.. a r34.. with abit of mods will fly!!

f1.redbaron

West wrote:After driving a C240 in the states, that must be the most "artificial" steering ever made. So disappointing when I was planning to get a C350, but Lexus has a 3.5 that makes 305 hp. Probably going to get an IS350 at the end of the year.
West, you speak my language. IS350 is officialy going on sale on Monday and I cannot wait. Actually, I'm so eager to buy it, that I'm even considering taking a huger risk and buying it before the end of the year. Believe me, it is taking every ounce of self-restraint on my part not to order one today. Isn't it beautiful (http://www.lexus.ca/lexus/experience/en ... &year=2006)

As far as M6 goes, it doesn't do anything for me. Maybe it is because I've always been in love with the 5 series, maybe it is because I can only drive the M6 in my dreams, and maybe it is because of the butt-ugly rear end of the car, but as somebody already said, M5 would clearly be my choice.

Mercedes, IMO, is a distand 3rd (1. Lexus, 2. BMW). Their quality had taken a hit over the past couple of years, especially after buying Chrysler a few year back.

Joke:
Q: How do Germans pronounce Diamler-Chysler?
A: Diamler! Chrysler is silent!u

Quality and reliability are things I haven't seen in a German car for a while. My parents don't really want me to get a German car either. We have owned Lex, Benz, BMW, and the latter two, IMO, need better reliability and quality ratings (and for BMW, looks) before I even consider them. But in the end, they all become boring daily drivers, so I don't really consider brand name too much.

West

f1.redbaron

I test drove the new IS250 on Thursday. The car, while beautiful, has a few things that I don't like (leg room OK (distance-wise), but there is some kind of a bump on the left side of the centre console, which is brishing up against my right leg). Also, I think that Lexus is getting a little greedy. You can't get any of the decent options under $45,000 CAD, and even then it doesn't come with a navigation system. For that, you have to go for an AWD, or IS350 (which will not be available in Canada for another month). But, never mind the navigation system. It seems that some standard luxury options (power adjustable seats and the moonroof, for example) should be standard with this brand, and yet they aren't. Ironically, you can get a Toyota Corolla with everything power for about 1/2 price. I know that one might present an argument that you shouldn't compare the two brands, but the bottom line is that a lot of Toyota and Lexus vehicles share the exact same parts.

I didn't want to say it, but I'm thinking of visiting a BMW dealership and looking at their new 3-series.

I'm testing the IS350 Nov. 19. If it is "acceptable" i will get it, since I don't need a fast or brand name car anyway. However, if the price is too high, a used E46 M3 or the old 540 is going to be my choice.

I dunno what it's like in Canada, but usually when u build one here u just choose one package that comes w/ everything. Even though my mom got the most basic package for her RX330, it came w/ navigation and a decent sound system, moonroof, power everything. It was also 4000 dollars off (bought at end of the year)

My parents want me to get either a G35 coupe or a Boxster, but I'm not sure yet. As for BMW... they need to seriously improve their looks... and my bro wants one, so for now that is out of the question. But every magazine seems to love it.

West

Steven
Owner

West wrote:My parents want me to get either a G35 coupe or a Boxster, but I'm not sure yet. As for BMW... they need to seriously improve their looks... and my bro wants one, so for now that is out of the question. But every magazine seems to love it.
Although I'm not very fond of the M6 as I think it kind of has a fat ass and far from elegant, my personal BMW choice at the moment would be a 5xx. I think those are true masterpieces and haven't seen such unvonventional and yet wonderful looks.

BMW's design at the moment is inspired by Chris Bangle and he does a good job. The fact that a BMW (especially in the front) looks different than any other car makes it also beautiful

f1.redbaron

West,

Yeah, you can get a package with all the options in Canada, too, but the problem is that it gets to the point where you'd be better off buying a GS300. I wouldn't mind paying the price of $50,000CAD ($42,000USD), if it was as good as I had expected.

Take paddle shifter, for example. When you take the IS out for a test drive, try to change gears as you're in a turn. You'll see what I mean. Then, there is an insufficient space in the back. Then the trunk space, which is next to non-existant when compared to my car. Lift up the cover in the trunk to get access to your spare tire - it's a doughnut! Not only that, but it is a BF Goodrich tire (while your main ones are Dunlops).

I don't know...maybe I'm expecing a lot from them.

Cheers.

btw, are you sure that your mom bought just the base package? I have a hard time believing that Lexus will put a navigation system on a base package. They don't even do it for their better vehicles such as GX, LX or LS. It must've been one of the upper-end packages.

West

Well, I didn't really look at the details of the purchase, but all I know is that we received 4000 off if the car went over 40 grand. We paid around 38 for everything, including leather, nav, power everything, and after trading in a 2003 Mercury Mountaineer.

If you go to the Lexus website and build a RX330 FWD, we pretty much got everything in the premium package plus nav. So you're right; it was that the price was pretty good when we bought it. I just remember checking the packages out at the beginning of the year.

After reading some more reviews online, it remains that the rear seats are pathetic. The shifting of gears using hte paddles (which are plastic cheese) is disappointing. I heard that it's slow on upshifts and really clanky.