Closest win ever!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Steven
Owner

Closest win ever!

With a difference of 0.010 in front of Michael Schumacher, Rubens Barrichello won the US GP at Indianapolis, after a somehow strange incident. World champion Schumacher was waiting a little for Barrichello to allow them to both pass the line aside each other, but eventually stepped on the brakes to let his teammate pass.
He officially stated it was not in his meaning to do so, but afterwards he was noticed saying it was his way of giving a thank you to Rubens for the season, even though he had to ignore team orders to do so.

Paul Perron

First of all I believe Micheal did not intend to let Rubens win, it was quite simply an error on the champs part. Even Micheal can make the occassional mistake.

With the reliabilty Ferrari are displaying on the engines and drivetrain, it would have been nice to see the two fight to the finish as Montoya did. I know Montoya had to push so hard due to a few driving errors(pitting 10
laps to early) but the point is he pushed his Williams BMW right to the finnish line. I would enjoy watching the Ferrari flat out from first lap to finnish line!

Jukebox

I think there's always reasons for why they didn't push their car all the way for the entire race. Might be because they've push it to the max from the start until after the 2nd pitstop and after making sure that they have gained a considerable seconds of gap....it's best to just cruise rather than encounter any unexpected disaster such as engine blows.
Ferrari forever....

Steven
Owner

Jacques laughed at it

hehe :lol:
Jacques Villeneuve had a good laugh with the incident between the two Ferraris. When he was asked about making the sport ridiculous, he said "Of course, but this one was fun, so who cares".

That's the kind of talk I like to hear in the pitlane, not some diplomatical chit chat and after half an hour change the whole statement.

"It's obvious that they wanted to finish close together, but I'm not sure that it was planned that Rubens would get in front," he said. "I think Rubens surprised him a little bit, which is fun! They keep playing these games, and now Michael got caught out, so it's fun."