Perceptions of fast drivers and their driving styles

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Giblet

Re: Perceptions of fast drivers and their driving styles

I have been getting regular lessons lately to learn proper racing techniques and subtle tidbits about car control I never would have picked up on my own from two different pro race driving instructors, on a high end sim. I feel I have a better understanding of fast driving than I had before.

As good as I like to think I am, we don't get to see modern telemetry reads and can only speculate in a way that can be a good educated guess. All my lessons are useless and if I try to see what makes vettel fast on the tube visually, I will be tasting my own shoe as I try to extract it from my mouth.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

ISLAMATRON

LH is the BOSS and Alonso is a 6 tenths stealing monobrow merchant pile of stinking syncophantic claptrap.

roost89

Giblet wrote:As good as I like to think I am, we don't get to see modern telemetry reads and can only speculate in a way that can be a good educated guess. All my lessons are useless and if I try to see what makes Vettel fast on the tube visually, I will be tasting my own shoe as I try to extract it from my mouth.
I guess that's why we they have experts, usually ex-drivers or test-drivers, in the commentary or as writers for columns on the BBC, ITV, Autosport, F1Racing, etc. They will know, or at least have a greater idea of, why drivers are fast.
I can only speak from the drivers I've heard, Ant Davidson and Martin Brundle. When they explain a drivers style and how they watch drivers it amazes me what they see and what I can't. They always talk of the drivers submarining on braking and they can see how the car is reacting to the drivers input with far greater detail than, certainly, I can.
ringo wrote:We hear the "he likes over steer"
I believe everyone likes a bit of tail-out action. 8)

I shall add this:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMbh5gg15YA[/youtube]
The bit about over-steer in that was nice. When Jenson says that he kicked it out on purpose. It does show how much skill these drivers have, as I'm sure many of them do this. Kick the tail out to prevent the opposing car getting past.
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

timbo

I don't think that you can so easily pickup a single feature that make a driver quick. They're all quick as hell and when it comes down to 0.3 seconds difference during a lap of 80 seconds (a mere 0.625%) I don't think an untrained eye may find what exactly given that 0.3 seconds.

vall

timbo wrote:I don't think that you can so easily pickup a single feature that make a driver quick. They're all quick as hell and when it comes down to 0.3 seconds difference during a lap of 80 seconds (a mere 0.625%) I don't think an untrained eye may find what exactly given that 0.3 seconds.
exactly! As one can see from the SM/Herbert video, a tiny error in just one corner and you can loose 0.2s. If 2 drivers are within 0.3s over a 80s lap it is really amazing and shows how good these gays are.

A small correction: 0.3s/80s = 0.375% :D

timbo

vall wrote:A small correction: 0.3s/80s = 0.375% :D
Ouch, this is a technical forum after all :oops: :lol:

roost89

vall wrote:exactly! As one can see from the SM/Herbert video, a tiny error in just one corner and you can loose 0.2s. If 2 drivers are within 0.3s over a 80s lap it is really amazing and shows how good these gays are.

:lol: :lol:
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

timbo

roost89 wrote:
vall wrote:exactly! As one can see from the SM/Herbert video, a tiny error in just one corner and you can loose 0.2s. If 2 drivers are within 0.3s over a 80s lap it is really amazing and shows how good these gays are.

:lol: :lol:
No sh*t, haven't seen that))))

ringo

The FIA needs to have more provisions for the fans. I find there was more material and insight in the past. A good example was that shumacher and herbert video, or this one with Jackie and the Tyrell P34
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wprbq1Z_Vts[/youtube] =P~

I know there was no way to find out how each driver extracts his best, but the on board laps are still pretty entertaining.
I should have found a Webber video on the same track for comparison, i only found a 2008 video with no telemetry. I noticed it's hard to make a judgment if none of us really know what is fundamental driving technique that all pilots use on varying tracks, you know like those license tests in gran tourismo. Vettel may well be doing what all others do. But hey the FIA are pretty stingy with their content we fans can't do any better. :oops:
Last edited by ringo on 31 Dec 2009, 06:29, edited 2 times in total.
For Sure!!

Mr Alcatraz

ISLAMATRON wrote: Alonso is a 6 tenths stealing monobrow merchant pile of stinking syncophantic claptrap.
You neglected to mention an absurdly rich one! :lol:
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand