Scuderia Toro Rosso STR5 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
jac
jac

Re: Scuderia Toro Rosso-Ferarri STR5

f1-cobra wrote:Saw this on http://twitter.com/F1Lite
http://twitpic.com/10hf1h - Is this the new Toro Rosso livery?

I doubt they'd change their livery. But one can only hope they do away with their usual colors which have quite honestly been bland to say the least. The turquoise/teal looks refreshingly good.

Oh, and another thing, I know they are supposed to design their own car as from this year - but could the launch STR5 in any way be used as an indicator as to what Red Bull have possibly come up with regarding the RB6 ?.......

Surely there should be some shared parts, or not? Just a thought anyway.

mx_tifoso

Totally separate design although you can't blame them for having 'similar' ideas. It would just be a coincidence right? :wink:

We'll have to wait until both new cars are launched to see how similar or different they are to each other.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

-KMR_NH-

jac wrote:
f1-cobra wrote:Saw this on http://twitter.com/F1Lite
http://twitpic.com/10hf1h - Is this the new Toro Rosso livery?
http://i67.servimg.com/u/f67/14/67/65/50/61278810.jpg

I doubt they'd change their livery. But one can only hope they do away with their usual colors which have quite honestly been bland to say the least. The turquoise/teal looks refreshingly good.
I agree. STR's livery looks quite good if the you're pretty close to the standing car. As soon as the car starts to move you can't really see the Red Bull and thus it just looks kinda shitty in my eyes whereas this light blue livery looks pretty cool and brings some color into F1 like Renault did today, too.
Kimi Räikkönen
Nico Hülkenberg

RAF
RAF

There is a teaser shot on their own website, looks like the same livery.

Fil

Don't fix what ain't broken! right..?

Looks like they've worked with Mercedes on the nose, and kept the car from Red Bull.

Actually it makes sense.. Red Bull Technologies sell the RB5 design to STR, whilst Red Bull, which is cashed-up/set-up to design its own car, creates an all new car! 8)
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

jac
jac

Fil wrote:Don't fix what ain't broken! right..?

Looks like they've worked with Mercedes on the nose, and kept the car from Red Bull.

Actually it makes sense.. Red Bull Technologies sell the RB5 design to STR, whilst Red Bull, which is cashed-up/set-up to design its own car, creates an all new car! 8)

Yeah, makes sense ultimately. Wasn't expecting anything mind-blowing from them either. One thing I still fail to understand is why, with all of the input from Red Bull Technologies & a virtually identical to car to the works team, they failed to make progress last year. I doubt it was all down to the Ferrari engine. And one can certainly rule out aero as well. Then what was the problem for them? The STR4 was actually a well designed car, yet, at times, they were running dead last.

As one of success stories of 08 I've actually taken a liking in them - however, I wouldn't be surprised if they end up at the back of the field again this year - sad but true.

marcush.

Re: Scuderia Toro Rosso-Ferrari TR5

i guess the trouble is if you don´t get all the necessary information even the best car is dead last in 2009 season.
Brawn did hit the jackpot big time at the start of the season but lost the plot later on a bit ... ,same goes for Red bull they also had trouble at times to get the most out of the package .it is very revealing to see that TR got only to the front very late in the season,so engine is not the reason,it was setup knowledge ,or better said missing of valuable data or simultions ... that was their roblem...lets assume their simulation was based on the 2008 car and they tried to implement fudge factors to improve correlation but this did not work as the concepts were too different...

meves

Ineresting view from behind, is that a central exhaust at the rear over the light?

MattyT

meves wrote:Ineresting view from behind, is that a central exhaust at the rear over the light?
Nope, exhaust still in the old position (maybe slightly further back).

EDIT: If this is so close to the STR4, where does all the extra fuel go!?

meves

From this view the "hole" is a lot further back than the light, presumably just for heat extraction.

Great view of the sculpting front of the undertray

RacingManiac

Still running rear pullrod as well...

rich1701

the STR5 looks like a minor development of last years car. It makes sense for them to play it safe i suppose.

ISLAMATRON

yep, basically a STR4LWB... nothing special... that sugar free livery would be fantastic... Red bull may give you wings, but not the bawls to run that stricking livery.