Scuderia Toro Rosso STR5 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Pandamasque

Re: Scuderia Toro Rosso STR5 Ferrari

A very good looking car though. It looks fast even when standing still.

Shrek

They do have one big v nose though
Spencer

ringo

Side pods are also very narrow at the rear, look on all that floor space.
For Sure!!

Jan_83

Don't get me wrong. It looks good. But it looks like a streched RBR5/STR4 version with few changes.

roost89

Re: Scuderia Toro Rosso-Ferrari TR5

MattyT wrote: EDIT: If this is so close to the STR4, where does all the extra fuel go!?
Why in the tank :wink:
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

Raptor22

Re: Scuderia Toro Rosso-Ferrari TR5

rich1701 wrote:the STR5 looks like a minor development of last years car. It makes sense for them to play it safe i suppose.

its actually a RB5 that's been revamped to conform to 2010 regulations.
Like I've been saying, Toro Rosso are not ready to design their own car from scratch and used a lot of Ip from RBT (you know that cross pollenation that "no longer exists").

Their first ground up new car will be the 2011 car. This car they will develop further over the season while they get staff up to speed.
They had neither the time, nor the budget, nor the personnel to develop a ground up new car last year despite recruiting new engineers.

Pedro

STR5 vs RB6
Well, they look quite similar, don't they?
(I have posted that pic to RB6 thread already)

Source: F1news.cz
http://www.f1news.cz

raymondu999

I think it's not so much as the same features, but the same ideas being implemented. It's like someone said on the forums (I think). They shared ideas over the phone/writing but each were just left to their own devices to implement them.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

myurr

raymondu999 wrote:I think it's not so much as the same features, but the same ideas being implemented. It's like someone said on the forums (I think). They shared ideas over the phone/writing but each were just left to their own devices to implement them.
Actually looks more like the STR5 is an early draft of the same car, with the RB6 featuring some additional refinements and tweaks. Considering they had pretty much the same starting point, and we can't see the internals, then maybe this isn't too much of a surprise.

axle

Both have evolved but you can see that the RB6 has had more development thought go into it at the start...where as the TR5 has just been modded for 2010 rules.
- Axle

bosanac1

i thought i post this awesome pic from feb.13th jerez. you can really see just how curved the v-nose on the str is.

click on it for extra high resolution

Giblet

Wow the Bull's nostrils are definitely flared.

Great pic.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

StrFerrari4Ever

Wow that picture really shows how aggressive looking that nose is a great find mate!
Anyways I was wondering what people think STR can do this year I know we shouldn't read into testing times but they look to be in a good place completing many laps and evaluating parts this is a great period for the boys from Faenza! :P

Carbon

Wow, great pic. Very clearly shows how aggressive the V-nose shaping is. Am I correct in thinking the sides are also equally sculpted, creating, in essence, a v on top, with equally (but less aggressive) concave V on the sides of the chassis where it meets the nose, or is that an optical illusion? I.e. >V<

Giblet

It doesn't seem slow, and maybe while Red Bull was not allowed to share the IP for the new car, it doesn't mean that they didn't hand STR scads of data on the old one.

Buemi needs his breakout year this year. He had some good performances last year and earned his drive for 2010. When a driver is really good in the wet as he seems to be, it means he can feel his tires better than most, and I have yet to see a driver who was great in the wet, be slow in the dry.

He could be a bit of a surprise.

SV said in an interview, that since rain tires were so expensive for his kart when he was a kid, that his folks couldn't afford to get new ones all the time, so he would run his slicks as long as he could in the rain, making him a better driver.

Hamilton was given all the rain tires he needed from Macca, and while he is obviously also a master in the rain, it shows that hardship can form a good driver as well as coddling sometimes.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute