Nice example of potential energy

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
Alexis

Nice example of potential energy

You all should watch this, it's the result of 606 attempts :D

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/flash/honda-ad.html

It's possible some people have already seen this but it wasn't on Belgian TV
Show that you're a loser with a lot of money who can't get a racing license, drive the Gumball 3000...

Surry fer mai bed Hinglish

Monstrobolaxa

Not for a second I believe it was really made with only car parts!

The first thing that came to me was the tires rolling upwards....the other one was the exaust rolling!!!

if you pay attention to the clip you'll see that some of the parts really won't roll (in real life) the way the roll in the clip!

THough it is a really good clip!LOL

joseff

Reputedly it's real. They weighted the tires at the 2 o'clock position to go up slopes.

The muffler looks natural to me though.

Alexis

I first thougt it was fake but then I figured out it was really possible. In some parts the gravity center isn't really in the center. The exhaust pipe is not in the middle of the muffler that's why it rolls a little weird.

Sometimes it looks a little unnatural but thats because of the fact that it is a flash movie with a modest frame rate.

I think it's real (in fact I hope it's real :D ) but i'm not sure about it.
Show that you're a loser with a lot of money who can't get a racing license, drive the Gumball 3000...

Monstrobolaxa

I continue to think the tires rolling up the ramp looks very strange....

RH1300S

Monstrobolaxa wrote:I continue to think the tires rolling up the ramp looks very strange....
Agree, they don't seem to change velocity at all. Sureley they would visbly slow down going uphill- even at that low speed.

It's not beyond possibility that the whole thing is computer generated. Funny, looking at the link it looks more CG than "IRL" on the TV.

Either way, nicely done................ 8)

f1.redbaron

While I share the same degree of skepticism as Monstobolaxa, I would like to point out that there is a place in California (I think) where a car will begin to roll uphill if left in neutral. I remember watching something about it some time ago. At first I was sure that it was a hoax, but it was on Discovery so it should be considered as a credible show.

However, all that aside, it just seems too perfect. The bottom line is that all the parts used in this commercial are, presumably, Honda built, and not one of them was ACME part, so, if Coyote couldn't make his things work with ACME parts, it is hard to believe that Honda can using inferior parts :D

f1.redbaron wrote:While I share the same degree of skepticism as Monstobolaxa, I would like to point out that there is a place in California (I think) where a car will begin to roll uphill if left in neutral. I remember watching something about it some time ago. At first I was sure that it was a hoax, but it was on Discovery so it should be considered as a credible show.

However, all that aside, it just seems too perfect. The bottom line is that all the parts used in this commercial are, presumably, Honda built, and not one of them was ACME part, so, if Coyote couldn't make his things work with ACME parts, it is hard to believe that Honda can using inferior parts :D
If you talk to a physics teacher (geophysist) and to a geologist they probably tell you it's impossible! In order to have something like it you'de have to be on a mountain that has enough mass to atract the car on the slope.

Just look at the Law of Universal Gravitation....

http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/p ... u6l3c.html

...even being on Discovery I still need solid proof!

Monstrobolaxa

Last post it was me....LOLOL I was on my girls computers and forgot to login!

Alexis

Still i think it's real. I can be wrong but I don't think it has anything to do with that law. It's the same principe as the domino effect: by ticking one stone you can get them all down (4 million here in belgium :D ). A row of falling domino stones can also gain height (they can be but on a stairs). And a smal domino can push down a bigger one and that one even a bigger one and so on. It all has to do with potential energy transformed in kinetic energy i think. (of course it's not all potential energy because of the use of electricity but it still uses the principe)

The fact that the car rolls down is due to a change of the gravity center by closing the booth.

yzfr7

I believe it is all real, very tricky, but real. To make the wheels go up, simply put a heavy piece of smthing on the side of it, and it will roll to this side, even if it has to go up a bit. Note that after they collide, they go for and back around one point, where the havy part is.
The thing about the car going up is true too. It happens when the car lays in the bottom of an 'U', with the front wheel a bit in front of the lowest point. The car will go up a bit, because the center of gravity is close to the front axle. All cities with lots of hill have this tale...
pax

Monstrobolaxa

He's talking about going up a hill not at the bottom of a u! :lol:

we're talking of the car being pull up...

RH1300S

Monstrobolaxa wrote:He's talking about going up a hill not at the bottom of a u! :lol:

we're talking of the car being pull up...
Ever heard of the Electric Brae in Scotland?

"The 'Electric Brae', known locally as Croy Brae.
This runs the quarter mile from the bend overlooking Croy railway viaduct in the west (286 feet Above Ordnance Datum) to the wooded Craigencroy Glen (303 feet above A.O.D.) to the east.
Whilst there is this slope of 1 in 86 upwards from the bend at the Glen, the configuration of the land on either side of the road provides an optical illusion making it look as if the slope is going the other way.
Therefore, a stationary car on the road with the brakes off will appear to move slowly uphill.
The term 'Electric Brae' dates from a time when it was incorrectly thought to be a phenomenon caused by electric or magnetic attraction within the Brae."

Monstrobolaxa

Well here's a case where it was proven that it doesn't happen!!! :lol:

Someone that suports my case...LOL