What is fluid dynamics?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
flameracing

What is fluid dynamics?

This is a branch of aerodynamics that i bearly understand could someone help me.
Im in the f1 in schools competition. in the competition we design a car and race it, the car is propelled by a c02 cylinder there i thought fluid dynamics could help.

matt
i like salty peanuts

Jersey Tom

Re: what is fluid dynamics

Backwards. Air and water are both fluids, the study of their motion, forces, etc.. falls under fluid mechanics.

Often a 3rd year course at university, in which failing homework and exams can be typical.

Please begin by familiarizing yourself with, and memorizing the Navier-Stokes equations in spherical co-ordinates. Once you've finished up with that easy bit we can move onto the practical.

Or... you can just use common sense and build a quick 'car' without goin bananas..
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

flameracing

damn im happy that uni is a long way away
could you by any chance dum it down
if not F@*&
i like salty peanuts

horse

I think Jersey Tom might be pulling your chain a bit there. Those are, I think, just the incompressible equations too, so it can get harder.

Anyway, if you can find a solution to those equations for an arbitrary problem then you'll win a Fields Medal I should think.

If you really want to get a bit more of a grip on fluid dynamics I would start by considering the fundamental phenomena of 'Advection' and 'Diffusion'. These processes are described in the above equations, but also have some fundamental physical meaning.

Here's some quick links to have a look:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advection

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffusion

There's probably better out there than these, but I'm sure you're better at hyperlinking than me. The introduction to a fluid dynamics text book would inform you at lot also, and give you a peek into the weird world of turbulence.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

Jersey Tom

The point being.. I think trying to get into upper division engineering theory for this project is overkill and a waste of time.

Focus on the low hanging fruit.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

mep

It's always good to seek for a deeper understanding of how stuff works. In this case I recommend you buying a book about fluid mechanics. It might probably not make your car instantly faster but at least you already know much of the fluid stuff when you later attempt to some university.

For this forum you have to ask a more specified kind of question. Explaining all the fluid stuff is just to much.

manchild

Jersey Tom wrote:...

sticky667

classic piece of work there.

flameracing

i want the best possible burst from the co2 cylinder what could help
i like salty peanuts

fastback33

Just to piggyback a little bit. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a Fluid mechanics book?

xpensive

My humble xperience, if you can believe that concept now, is that many engineers never really grasp the concept of static and dynamic pressure as a constant-sum game. But it's a very good beginning of understanding fluid dynamics.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

twoshots

Have you looked it up on wikipedia?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluid_dynamics

noname

flameracing wrote:This is a branch of aerodynamics
it's opposite. fluid dynamics is more general and so aerodynamics is rather a branch of the fluid dynamics.

flameracing

yes i have read wikipedia
and thanks for that info on the branches and stuff
i like salty peanuts

ashf1mclaren

hey guys is it possible in some cfd programs to simulate co2 being released from the canister and also is it possible to rotate wheels to a speed,what programs are able to do this a how much are they
Yellow wakes me up in the morning. Yellow gets me on the bike every day. Yellow has taught me the true meaning of sacrifice. Yellow makes me suffer. Yellow is the reason I'm here.

Lance Armstrong quote