F1 in Schools Help - ashf1mclaren's project

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
ashf1mclaren

Re: F1 in Schools Help - ashf1mclaren's project

Small aerofoils would be good but as the car is doing about 60 mph/100kph lot of drag from open wheels so reducing that is a advantage right?
Yellow wakes me up in the morning. Yellow gets me on the bike every day. Yellow has taught me the true meaning of sacrifice. Yellow makes me suffer. Yellow is the reason I'm here.

Lance Armstrong quote

Jersey Tom

You do not need ANY downforce. It gains you nothing, and the drag only hurts you. So long as the car goes straight, minimize all drag possible.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

ashf1mclaren

hi i have a design question- is creating suction at the front of the car good? ( i have read yes) and how would you create it? could you make a opening which is larger at one end and narrows towards the rear? help would be great thanks to all who have already helped!:) =D> =D>
Yellow wakes me up in the morning. Yellow gets me on the bike every day. Yellow has taught me the true meaning of sacrifice. Yellow makes me suffer. Yellow is the reason I'm here.

Lance Armstrong quote

flynfrog

ask your self why it would be good what would you be giving up to have it

ashf1mclaren

hi guys i have come across a feature that i think will improve track time when my car is make: accelerating airflow on the car? would the topside or underneath be best and how should i do this? by making a channel between to wing end plates which narrows or a channel which is larger at the start then narrows at the end? help would be great :D

Lance Armstrong quote

ashf1mclaren

hi again i have for a long time been looking at bearing designs that have been used to effect in f1 in schools, i have heard that the pulse f1 team 2008 champions used a deep groove bearing of a diameter of around 3.5mm....... is there any better bearings that have almost zero friction and what companies would be best to approach to see whether they could design & manufacture something? bardens bearings? any others? thanks :D

Lance Armstrong quote

mep

When you have absolutely no idea what to do then you can have a look at this photo. (it's a concept car for american racing series)

Notice how nice they guide the air from the center section around the front wheels to the side of the car.
I suggested basizeland to realize something like this before.

Have you ever thought about using just a single bearing for both front and possible rear wheels?

This would reduce friction and on the front you could build a very narrow cross section so reducing drag too.
For this both wheels have to be mounted on the same axle this can slightly increase straight line stability, too.

You see this are all things who come to my mind when I just step by the threats from time to time. You should start to think out of your own mind now and show what kind of ideas you have.

ashf1mclaren

hi mep i have got that picture already! but thanks anyway..........currently the team is set up and we are designing a car for the 2011/12 championship this is because we are doing our final GCSE's this year so limited time between study to focus on car and other things so hopefully over the summer there will be some basic designs in the pipeline for development in the autumn and winter and continuing for the rest of the year so as you can see now ideas are just a basic directional tool :|

Lance Armstrong quote

ashf1mclaren

hi after a small break we are resuming development of our car we will start again on june 17th. and photos will be posted after that date.

i have a question for all i have heard of a "grooved hybrid air bearings" i have read a limited amount about this technology as information is hard to get hold of, from what i understand aerostatic lift id created and used by the depth of groove, these bearings are low friction and ultr high speed and have low motion errors, could these be used in wheels in conjunction with a axle design or do they require a external air supply pump?

Lance Armstrong quote

pudin

Hi,im designing a F1 in schools car.
Can you guys help with the rear wing?
Is it good to put it with a tear drop shape or just let it free?
Thanks guys.
:)
I love my mom

ashf1mclaren

F1 in schools Project - ashf1mclaren

hi all, i am currently setting up a F1 in schools project in school, i have gather a number of people who are interested to start a program that we hope to be 2 years long, we are going to spend extensive time on design & research. another reason for the 2 years is we don't want to burden ourselves with the work so much, our exams are effected.

we hope this forum can provide us with help and some guidance to technical question that we may not be able to answer or understand.

Lance Armstrong quote